Quantcast

I hate: People driving in winter on summer tires.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd rather have my 395 lb/ft (when it was stock) on #2 diesel, $16k pickup.
:stupid:

My trucks 650lb/ft has proved the michelin ltx m+s tires I'm running insufficient on snowy roads. Looks like some new wheels and a/ts are in order for winter duty if I want to limit 4wd use. The tires corner and brake great but lose all composure when the boost hits.

We have dedicated snow tires/wheels for my wifes benz wagon. Despite being rwd and low-slung, that thing is awesome in the snow thanks to a dual-mode traction control system that is driftastic.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
4wd is nice but I try not to use it. I was raised to use 2wd until you got stuck then 4wd to get back out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We get storms on par with denver. My '67 bus got around denver for 6 years on nothing more than bong hits and wishful thinking.
You must have been here during the Time It Didn't Snow. :D

We've had several multi-foot storms in the last 5 years in which your bus would've gone nowhere for at least 3 days, depending on how close to a "main road" you were. :twitch:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You must have been here during the Time It Didn't Snow. :D

We've had several multi-foot storms in the last 5 years in which your bus would've gone nowhere for at least 3 days, depending on how close to a "main road" you were. :twitch:
It 'rarely' snows in denver compared to my family's place in evergreen. When it snowed heavy I drove my 79 4x4 subie wagon but the bus had great clearance, low gearing and plenty of weight over the drive wheels. With decent tires it would go most anywhere, including many '4x4 only' mining and forest roads (summer).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I had a friend that had a '69 VW bus. We took it down a pretty rough Jeep trail wil relative ease. Small overhangs and lots of ground clearance is mostly all you need on dry trails.
Out here the main requirement for really rough jeep trails is a VERY low gear. Which most standard tran vehicles don't have. Unless they have a xfer case.

Unless you don't mind burning out your clutch.

My Subaru needs a xfer case. :mad:

Edit: BTW - my 6yo is proofreading your post. :rofl:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Out here the main requirement for really rough jeep trails is a VERY low gear. Which most standard tran vehicles don't have. Unless they have a xfer case.

Unless you don't mind burning out your clutch.

My Subaru needs a xfer case. :mad:
My 67 had reduction gears which made for great crawling ability but also meant a 53.6mph top speed.

The 79 subie had 4wd hi/lo - that thing went everywhere and had the body panels to prove it.