Quantcast

I hate seeing snakes when I am riding...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
...and I hate running over them even more... but I got one Fri morning.

It was a 6-pinkbike footer!!! And a cotton mouth to boot. It rattled me for the rest of the ride. Normally I just tell myself it was a stick but couldn't convince myself this time...

:dead:

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
A friend of mine will turn around and go back the way he came if he sees one. Very funny to watch...
I have debated that. I am usually going too fast. I have trails that I won't ride in the summer. I am a snake pansy.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
...and I hate running over them even more... but I got one Fri morning.

It was a 6-pinkbike footer!!! And a cotton mouth to boot. It rattled me for the rest of the ride. Normally I just tell myself it was a stick but couldn't convince myself this time...

:dead:
You mean it was a 3' Black Racer? The most feared snake in the land?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
I have debated that. I am usually going too fast. I have trails that I won't ride in the summer. I am a snake pansy.
:stupid: You know my answer to the snake problem... Whack! Whack! Whack!

splat

Nam I am
I saw a Dead one onteh trail yesterday :( looke like a 2 foot garder . I also ran over the tip of a Small snakes tail just as I was coming to a stop last week. he was not happy with me but looked OK as he slitherd off.

Back in college my Roomie had a 6 Foot Boa constictor. I meet more girls with that snake.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
Heeh.. close... a 3' water moccasin/cotton mouth...
If at first you thought it was a Cotton Mouth/Water Moccasin, more than likely it wasnt. They arent really black (I know I am the one that mentioned Black) and RARELY encountered out of the water.

I am not saying you didn't, but they no likey hardpacked ground, such as a trail.

University of Florida Herpetology dept said:
Comments: Though the Cottonmouth occurs throughout the state, it is not as abundant as the many species of harmless watersnakes that occur in much the same habitat. Many Florida residents do not even realize that watersnakes exist. As a consequence, every large dark-colored snake found near water is counted, and usually killed, as a ‘Cottonmouth.’ Cottonmouths can easily be distinguished from watersnakes. If the head is viewed from above, the eyes of Cottonmouths cannot be seen while the eyes of watersnakes are visible; Cottonmouths have elliptical pupils and watersnakes have round pupils; Cottonmouths have a facial pit between the nostril and the eye, and watersnakes have none.

Some people believe Cottonmouths lie in wait on tree limbs overhanging water so they can drop into boats. These are usually cases of mistaken identity. The harmless brown watersnake often basks on tree limbs over the water, and when frightened by a rapidly approaching boat, they will escape by throwing themselves off the limb and into the water. Occasionally their flight comes too late and they fall into the boat. Cottonmouths feed on fish, frogs, mice, rats, and other small mammals.

When threatened, the Cottonmouth may respond by coiling its body and opening its mouth as though ready to bite. The exposed white interior of the mouth is what gave rise to the common name, ‘Cottonmouth.’ If not hard pressed, the Cottonmouth usually will retreat. This open mouth threat display has led to the widespread belief that Cottonmouths are aggressive snakes. In fact, they are one of the more sedate, even placid, venomous snakes

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I ran over a garder snake once on the bike path... I felt really bad... But there wasnt a chance in hell i was going to bunny hop a road bike with carbon components... :dead:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
It was a cotton mouth. This particular trail has a portion on a gas line right of way that runs beside a small swampy lake.

I hate those snakes because it is especially hard to see them since they are a dark oily olive drab looking thing and blend in with the ground.

J

JRB

N8 said:
It was a cotton mouth. This particular trail has a portion on a gas line right of way that runs beside a small swampy lake.

I hate those snakes because it is especially hard to see them since they are a dark oily olive drab looking thing and blend in with the ground.
And they are meaner than the dickens. :mumble:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
You mean Snake Hop..?

I just had a thought...

What if snakes could jump? Like you're riding by, and they leap onto your neck and start biting you in the face.

That would be hella weak.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I hate snakes, and we have a lot of them at my local trails. After all of the rain we had this winter, the snake population is supposed to explode this summer, since the snakes have ideal living conditions.

I've already seen two snakes this season; one of which was a rattle snake. The snake was spread out over the trail, my friend jumped over him and yelled for the rest of us to stop. Luckily, the snaked turned around and went back in the bushes. However, for the rest of the ride, everytime I saw a stick I started to freak out.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
loco said:
And they are meaner than the dickens. :mumble:
N8 said:
No chit! They will run ya down too...
or........

UF SNAKE Dept said:
the Cottonmouth usually will retreat. This open mouth threat display has led to the widespread belief that Cottonmouths are aggressive snakes. In fact, they are one of the more sedate, even placid, venomous snakes

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
blt2ride said:
I hate snakes, and we have a lot of them at my local trails. After all of the rain we had this winter, the snake population is supposed to explode this summer, since the snakes have ideal living conditions.

I've already seen two snakes this season; one of which was a rattle snake. The snake was spread out over the trail, my friend jumped over him and yelled for the rest of us to stop. Luckily, the snaked turned around and went back in the bushes. However, for the rest of the ride, everytime I saw a stick I started to freak out.

I hear that. I rode at Las Virgenes trails & near Chatsworth on Sunday and there were snake tracks everywhere.

At least rattlers give ya fair warning. ;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
By any chance is there a bong near you?
No.

If there was I would insert it into the nearest dirty hippy, prison style. (ie: broken and jagged and jammed into the face and abdomen)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
H8R said:
No.

If there was I would insert it into the nearest dirty hippy, prison style. (ie: broken and jagged and jammed into the face and abdomen)
Why would you want to hurt yourself like that?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Why would you want to hurt yourself like that?
Please re-read: I said DIRTY HIPPY.

I bathe at least once a day, and I am not a hippy.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
stinkyboy said:
By any chance is there a bong near you?
Not at the moment, but there was yesterday. I was exploring a new trail alone that I'd never been on before but that was marked on an old fireroad map, took a few B's midride, then saw a sloughed-off snake skin in the hollow of a felled tree I was stepping over. As luck would have it, at almost the exact same time, my front tire picked up a dry leaf and got it caught in the arch of my fork. The knobbies ticking rapidly against the arch-trapped leaf sounded exactly like a rattler in a wilderness area known to have them. Needless to say, I leapt in fear, felt immensely foolish, then proceeded to spend the rest of the ride glaring suspicously at every single stick I passed. I blame it less on the bong, though, than my natural lack of affection for snakes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I like seeing the snakes on the trail. Often see 5-6 foot rat snakes in North NJ trails and whenever I do, I usally catch them and check them out :thumb:

Here are a few photos of one of the larger ones I got.

Attachments

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
mack said:
But there wasnt a chance in hell i was going to bunny hop a road bike with carbon components... :dead:
So do you not have faith in the parts you spent a small fortune on?:confused:? I have complete faith in all my carbon parts. I'm sorry you don't :(

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
One time at Cachuma lake, near Santa Barbara, CA I was riding single track. I riding at like around 4 mph and all of a sudden, there was an orange snake between my wheels. I didn't have enough time to stop and ran over it.

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Funny this subject was brought up. I was riding yesterday here at South Moutain (Phoenix, AZ), hauling butt down the trail and before I realized it wasn't a stick a 3' rattler got wrapped around my front tire/wheel. Before I could stop my bike,his head had to of hit the front fork at least four or five times. He was pissed. I got the bike stopped, hopped of the ass end, and held the bike by the seat. He unwrapped himself and took off with those rattles going a hundred miles an hour. Scared the crap out of me.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
extreme2 said:
Funny this subject was brought up. I was riding yesterday here at South Moutain (Phoenix, AZ), hauling butt down the trail and before I realized it wasn't a stick a 3' rattler got wrapped around my front tire/wheel. Before I could stop my bike,his head had to of hit the front fork at least four or five times. He was pissed. I got the bike stopped, hopped of the ass end, and held the bike by the seat. He unwrapped himself and took off with those rattles going a hundred miles an hour. Scared the crap out of me.
A flag has been thrown.