Quantcast

I hate these threads but I need help

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
My 05 dorado finally gave up and died this week. I dont even have the money for a new fork so Im buying used. Ive read all the reviews I can find and I hate these threads too but I want real people input.

The two forks Im looking at are and 06 fox 40rc2 or an 07 marz rc2x wc.

The 40 is in good shape, some scuffs on the lowers. But otherwise good condition. And I love 40's.

The rc2x is in perfect condition... like showroom floor good. But its heavier and Ive never owned a marx product.

I mostly go fast, and love to race. Im not a hucker. I want the better fork, both are close to the same price. I can go look at the 40 but not the marz.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
40's are more of a race fork, 888 are stronger need less maintenance. 888 ramp up more than the 40's.

sounds like you want the 40, so go with it.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
I've only ridden a 40 a couple of times, and a Marz DH fork for years. There's a reason why I haven't switched. In all honesty, either will likely work, but I just love the feel of a Marz fork. Plus, you don't have to wrench on the Marz often at all.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i like the fox 40, enough for me to have owned/own 4 of them. Personally i just ride them, and i hardly maintain them, they work fine. i know that many people complain about seals and lots of work, they might be hit and miss, but i like mine.

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
are you kidding dude...RC2x compared to anything else is a joke.

Just ask Udi.

No but really, either fork will perform very well. If weight is a concern then the 40 is probably a better choice. If durability is your primary concern I would say stick with the Zoke.

Last edited:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
i ride my bikes pretty hard and often. I had a 40 for 4 seasons on my DH bike which saw a lot of races, trails, and bike park miles and it worked great when fresh. but it needed to be "freshened up" often. i.e. greasing seals, etc. I had four cartridges go bad on me. two Ti springs broken too.

With that said I now have a 2010 boxxer team and compared to the 40 it has been trouble free. I would think that you would be able to find a new style (2010+) boxxer race for fairly cheap.

I can not recommend the 40 with confidence if you are an aggressive rider and don't like to do frequent service to keep it top notch.

I can say that my experience with marz has been trouble free. definitely a reliable product in my opinion, but you already touched on the fact that it is heavier.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I went with the 40. Ive had my dorado for years, so Im not afraid of having to wrench on a fork. I picked it up for 550. I have my regular stem on it now, but I need to get a dm crown, cause I barely have enough steerer tube.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
my 06 888 RCX2 was a hucker fork IMO.. was so glad to get rid of it.
It tracked the ground horribly.. I ran a 02 shiver because it did better..

now have a 09 rc2 40 and never looking back :]

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I went with the 40. Ive had my dorado for years, so Im not afraid of having to wrench on a fork. I picked it up for 550. I have my regular stem on it now, but I need to get a dm crown, cause I barely have enough steerer tube.
Hit us up at BCB if you need parts or service. We've had a couple come through with torn bladders lately... Seems to be the only thing we've seen go bad on them.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
I've got a blue TI spring for sale if you are interested!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a very early '05 40. I love it. I have had very few issues with it and it gets ridden. I hear about and see the problems, but they can be very good. They do require regular maintenance, but nothing insane and it doesn't cost all that much in the grand scheme.
Just plan on very regular oil changes and keep some spare parts around.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The 07s are one of the very few years I would seriously consider for the Zoke stuff. RCx2 is good stuff, and dead reliable in 06 & 07. The 40 is a great fork, but it will need a lot of love to stay great. Lots. I am not a huge Zoke fan, but I'd go with it in this case.