Quantcast

I hate to ask this, but helmets for a big head.

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
Wondering if anybody knows of helmets for a big head. I've been running the Spesh Deviant for the past two years and will never use them again due to the way they separate. I tried on an 09 661 yesterday in a size large. It didnt come close to fitting me. Next weekend I'll hopefully be trying out the D2 and if that doesnt work I'll try out a Bell MX helmet. I'm not interested in the Deviant or a Remedy at all so please dont try me with those.

So that being said, anybody have any suggestions? (My hatsize is an 8 fyi)

Thanks!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Did you read my post at all?
It would appear not. Not to mention that the large Remedy isn't that huge.

661s stuff seems to run kinda small, I wear a large in most helmets and I need an XL 661. I remember trying on a large Fox of some sort and it was a decent size for me. They make XLs if you need something really big.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
XL 661 helmets don't have much room in the face either. I wore an XXL Azonic Fury (or the 661 equivalent) and then switched to an XL/XXL D2 and that fits just fine.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
One of my teammates just gave up and bought a moto helmet. It's hotter, but because there is more distribution, sizes are available. Plus generally a good moto is cheaper.

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
One of my teammates just gave up and bought a moto helmet. It's hotter, but because there is more distribution, sizes are available. Plus generally a good moto is cheaper.
I'm think I'll just end up with the Bell SM-8 or whatever its called if the D2 doesn't work out.

Uncle, no worries.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
TLD SE-2's and AIR's come in XXL which is supposed to fit a 62 to 64 cm head. I run a XL SE-2 and my head measures 61cm. One of those should work for you. They are very nice.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i bought a Carbon THE One XL and i couldnt get my head out after i wedged that sucker in there, plus the face mask was basically on my mouth
i wear a XL/XXL D2 and it fits like a glove.

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
TLD SE-2's and AIR's come in XXL which is supposed to fit a 62 to 64 cm head. I run a XL SE-2 and my head measures 61cm. One of those should work for you. They are very nice.
I'd be looking at the SE-2 if it wasnt $495.

IH8Rice, you happen to know your hat size?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Damn, 8 is pretty big. My head is a bit smaller than that, but I have a big face (think L-size head and XL size cheeks/face area) and had problems with Bell moto helmets. It fit my head fine and didn't squish my cheeks too much, but taking the helmet off was very hard. I bought one really cheap off of ebay, took it off and on about a dozen or less times and it actually cut up behind my ears a little. If your face is smaller, you might not have the same issue, but always try before you buy when it comes to helmets. I would definitely look at moto helmets, though. Size ranges are better and there are more options. The weight and temperature issues are not a big deal if you get a quality helmet.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The TLD helmets do not come in XXL....but you can put xxl pads in an xl shell to get the larger fit. For pricing, you can easily find an 08 SE-2 for ~350...or you could get an SE for ~219. Fit pads are available for the air and SE-2 for sure...you might want to check with TLD if they have XXL pads to fit the SE...$240 for a light, top of the line closeout helmet that fits your sized head is pretty good IMO.

Aug 4, 2008
My head is pretty big too. Diameter around 60-61 cm (not really sure).

I used to wear a Dainese XL (perfect fit - replaced the ugly visor with TLD)

Now I wear an XL 661 Flight, its also great (XL is 61-62 dia. with 661).

They also make an XXL (63-64 dia.)

Go with 661 it looks great and protects well!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We have had luck with the 661 charger in xx-l. So far that helmet has fit the biggest heads at Whiteface.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a fairly large head - generally 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 New Era - and I wear an XL 661 flight helmet. Like it was mentioned, they also make a XXL. The sizing for them is here:

http://sixsixone.com/Information_Sizing.aspx

FWIW, when I bought mine I was kinda on the line between the 2 helmets, and when I asked about it I was told that the XL and XXL share the same outer shell but have different padding on the interior.