Quantcast

I have 3,500 dollars to spend

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
09? not 2010? Please Elaborate
We're going on week 4 and still not back from a rebuild due to a "blown motion control damper unit". They put too much oil in, and it blew. I've never touched the thing, it had maybe 40 riding hours on it since their techs rebuilt it at which point it was overfilled.

I was advised to have it sent in for warranty repair. Week 4. Not cool.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
We're going on week 4 and still not back from a rebuild due to a "blown motion control damper unit". They put too much oil in, and it blew. I've never touched the thing, it had maybe 40 riding hours on it since their techs rebuilt it at which point it was overfilled.

I was advised to have it sent in for warranty repair. Week 4. Not cool.
Is it a single case or something that happens to a lot of people? Seems like an easy problem to solve.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I have made my decision I am going to start building a transition. If I can find a good deal on a used frame I will buy that but everything else will be brand new. Thanks for all ur help guys.
Bad idea, unless you're getting wholesale or EP prices new is a waste of money. I can get stuff at wholesale and I'll still buy stuff used from time to time cause it's cheaper (including the fork and shock on my 6inch bike), and if you're not retarded you can get perfecty good parts for way below cost/retail. I'm also far from a beginner rider. New is REALLY stupid if you're a beginner too. And it just absof*ckinglutely retarded if you're doing it just to have "the best bike in town".

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Is it a single case or something that happens to a lot of people? Seems like an easy problem to solve.
Well, I've only got one bike, so, I can't speak with any authority to the entire product line.

I know of three friends who've had Boxxers (I'd guess '07 through '09, pretty sure all had "Team"s) and all have had their problems. I figured I was lucky, until now. I suppose all things mechanical fail, but I'll be damned if it isn't annoying as sh!t for the manufacturer (or their reps) to maintain it incorrectly, then take a month to fix their own mistake.

To the OP, if you're looking for a good bike on a budget (kinda like I was when I was shopping around), I'd say there's a significant savings to be had if you don't splash out on a fork. I got a Boxxer Team on my build, and was pretty happy with it, but it's been in the shop twice since spring. If you're a mechanical whizz with tools, parts and experience, then go for it. Otherwise, simpler forks work just fine.

After some complaining, my shop set me up with a loaner fork (kudos to them). A Domain 302. At least I could ride. Turns out I had one of the best days of riding this summer on that fork. I hit stuff I'd never hit before and didn't really notice a humongous difference. Not $600 worth anyhow...

Food for thought before pulling the trigger is money is a factor.

BTW: I'd say you oughtta be able to find a brand new Blindside with a decent build in your price range. Well within your range if you put a lower to mid range fork on it.

Last edited:

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Get an ex-rental flatline and use the 1600 left over for a trip to Whistler! It's not closed until October 12.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'd rather **** razorblades than buy a rental bike. Most of them are in worse condition than Detroit real estate market.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'd rather **** razorblades than buy a rental bike. Most of them are in worse condition than Detroit real estate market.
That's funny, my first bike was a Stab Garbanzo from Whistler. Served me well for 1.5 seasons. $1600 well spent if you ask me. Sold it for $1600.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
My 09 cove shocker is going up for sale. I have a neck injury and do t need that much bike anymore. 3500 is fair to me.

Aug 16, 2009
Gemini2k I am not a beginner. I have always rode xc because where I live now but I go to diablo freeride park twice a month and rent a full on dh bike so I am used to dh but would like to own my own bike because after all the money I spend renting a bike I could have my own. I found a 2009 cannondale perp3 that has been rode twice for 1500 but the only problem is that it has a front deraileer but I thought full on dh bike had none. Are cannondale perp's good?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Get a Demo 8 I have always liked the Demos. Had a Demo 9 that was awsome, scaled down to an SXT that is a blast to ride at Diablo but I don't race. I have tried others like the sunday, bullit, gemini, uzzi, r9, stinky, stab and I still prefer Specialized. I am thinking of going back to something with more travel either a Demo 8 or a Devinci Wilson but I am looking for a frame only. If I was buying complete and new it would be a Demo 8 complete can't beat it for the money.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I think you should get the perp. I got to ride one for a weekend at a local resort and was comfortable on it almost instantly. I say buy it and ride it and then save your money to upgrade parts.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
In one of the Go-ride email newsletters a few weeks back there was an awesome deal on Turner DHRs - would end up with a really sweet new complete right over 3500. Call them to set it up.

Dhr frame- 1799
Add 2010 Boxxer team - 899
Add Sun ringle ADD wheels-299
Add Gravity build kit(cranks, bar, stem, post, headset) - 299
Puts you at 3300, leaves a few parts, but if you shopped well or bought used you could come close to your budget.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
In one of the Go-ride email newsletters a few weeks back there was an awesome deal on Turner DHRs - would end up with a really sweet new complete right over 3500. Call them to set it up.

Dhr frame- 1799
Add 2010 Boxxer team - 899
Add Sun ringle ADD wheels-299
Add Gravity build kit(cranks, bar, stem, post, headset) - 299
Puts you at 3300, leaves a few parts, but if you shopped well or bought used you could come close to your budget.
Hmm, that would be pretty sweet.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I was tempted by the frame and I dont even need a new one. If you actually wanted to stay under budget(but who wants to do that when it comes to shiny new bike parts) you could get a used 09 or 08 boxxer or whatever and then the build would easily be 3500.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Gemini2k I am not a beginner. I have always rode xc because where I live now but I go to diablo freeride park twice a month and rent a full on dh bike so I am used to dh but would like to own my own bike because after all the money I spend renting a bike I could have my own. I found a 2009 cannondale perp3 that has been rode twice for 1500 but the only problem is that it has a front deraileer but I thought full on dh bike had none. Are cannondale perp's good?
Honestly, if you don't know enough with regards to the front derailleur vs. chainguide on a DH bike, I would highly protest against buying new. No offense, but that lack of knowledge suggests that you don't have a ton of time in the DH world, and that you may not know what you like. I'm not trying to say you're a bad rider, just that dropping $3500 on a brand new bike may end up with you on a bike that you're simply not comfortable on. If you buy used, or at least buy very cheap, you'll get a little bit of time on a bike that you can try out and at least get out onto the mountain to find out what you would prefer, or what you would change. Then, if you really hate it, it'll be easy to swap for something else.

If you just want to go out and drop $3500 so you can have the shiniest and newest, go ahead. Somebody has to keep the bike industry pumping.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Honestly, if you don't know enough with regards to the front derailleur vs. chainguide on a DH bike, I would highly protest against buying new. No offense, but that lack of knowledge suggests that you don't have a ton of time in the DH world, and that you may not know what you like. I'm not trying to say you're a bad rider, just that dropping $3500 on a brand new bike may end up with you on a bike that you're simply not comfortable on. If you buy used, or at least buy very cheap, you'll get a little bit of time on a bike that you can try out and at least get out onto the mountain to find out what you would prefer, or what you would change. Then, if you really hate it, it'll be easy to swap for something else.

If you just want to go out and drop $3500 so you can have the shiniest and newest, go ahead. Somebody has to keep the bike industry pumping.
Word. I got my first real dh bike with many 2nd hand (not always used though) parts. I've changed parts when I thought it was suitable but it really takes some time to know what you like and not on your bike (imo some people don't learn that ever)

Aug 16, 2009
Sandwich I know enough about dh riding I am been riding dh for the past three years and every bike I rode was different so me seeing a front dérailleur on a dh bike vs a chain guide and a single ring setup kinda worries me if that bike has been ridden down hill or not. I want a bike setup that has a single ring up front and full on dh components. If I buy used I would have to get the bike cheaper then what it already is to insure me that I will like it. I am a car sales man so I know what new and old is

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I think a new geo Demo is probably the best value/performance thing around so one of those.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwich I know enough about dh riding I am been riding dh for the past three years and every bike I rode was different so me seeing a front dérailleur on a dh bike vs a chain guide and a single ring setup kinda worries me if that bike has been ridden down hill or not. I want a bike setup that has a single ring up front and full on dh components. If I buy used I would have to get the bike cheaper then what it already is to insure me that I will like it. I am a car sales man so I know what new and old is
I'm not saying you don't know the difference, I'm saying you don't know what's good or what sucks. I've been riding DH for 10 years and regular shizz for 14, I still don't know everything that's good or just doesn't work.

For example, the cannondale derp looks good in pictures, but in reality it's pretty long and steep and for a pure DH bike, it's not that great. If you're freeriding or climbing with it, it could work, but Cannondale can't seem to make a legitimately good DH bike....which is one of the reasons you don't see too many people on them.

Another example. I bought an e13 stem (used, to save money) because I thought it was the best. Turns out it doesn't fit my bars and I can't use it. Everybody loves e13 parts and I thought I'd have no problem...not the case.

All I'm trying to say is that just because a bike has some love worn into its crevices doesn't mean it's used up. I know how pretty new bikes look, but that's great until you ride them once and they're all fxcked up after that.

I just think that if you aren't extremely wealthy, sponsored, or know exactly what you want, then it's not a bad idea to buy a bike you might like and built it up with parts you love and end up with a slightly dirty but otherwise perfect bike for you...and if it's not, you still have money in your pocket to make it right.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Holy long sentences man. I'm not sure if I deciphered your grammur good but are you suggesting that used bikes are not cheaper than new or that you will need an extra deal on a already good deal on a used bike because of a front der? Also what it has to do with getting a used bike or not? There are zillions of used full on dh bike that are build 10x better than most completes. In my opinion custom build used bikes usually require less parts to be changed than the completes as the big companies have their hands more tied by deals with different producers.

Aug 16, 2009
Sandwich and nobar I think u guys helped me seem that buying a new bike is just getting me something shiny. I guess I will buy used then later down the rode I can upgrade on how my riding improves or something breaks. What should I look for in a used bike or frame? Please help. I have only rode rentals so I don't know really what's good for me but by buying used I can find out what's good and what's not. Later

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Sandwich and nobar I think u guys helped me seem that buying a new bike is just getting me something shiny. I guess I will buy used then later down the rode I can upgrade on how my riding improves or something breaks. What should I look for in a used bike or frame? Please help. I have only rode rentals so I don't know really what's good for me but by buying used I can find out what's good and what's not. Later
Frame wise, those rentals suck, so IMO most bikes you get that are relatively high end should feel better frame wise. The components on the rentals are good though.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Personally, I'd only buy a used DH frame if I knew the person selling it and how they ride. DH bikes get alot of extreme use, and unless you know how it's been handled it's a crapshoot. What do you do if the frame cracks a month after you bought it? Did the previous owner keep on suspension maintenance? With the amount of $ you're spending, you can get a great bike new.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Dirtymike i like ur idea about the transition but that's alot of money. I should have said I will not buy a used bike because I would be spending more money upgrading it rather then building a bike the way I want it or buying a new complete bike. I live on the east coast but in Delaware but I like to travel. I would like the best bike in town
transitions are one of the cheapest complete builds you can buy! the blindside is around 3500 complete. not sure why you say its expensive when it falls within you budget? :rolleyes:

if you have a little time, wait for the new transition dh, the tr 450 or whatever the finally decided for a name.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Personally, I'd only buy a used DH frame if I knew the person selling it and how they ride. DH bikes get alot of extreme use, and unless you know how it's been handled it's a crapshoot. What do you do if the frame cracks a month after you bought it? Did the previous owner keep on suspension maintenance?
With the amount of $ you're spending, you can get a great bike new.->
->Very true, Like a Demo 8!

Dh, bikes get seriously beaten on and usually a frame that is used on a regular basis is only good for 2-3 years. If that.
Thing to remember, when you buy brand new from companies like Specialized or Giant, is that you get a warranty. The warranty ranges from 5yrs to life.
Smaller companies, like Santa Cruz and intense only offer 1-2yrs or no warranty at all, like FRO frames.
Also buying used you don't get a warranty.

Then there is a guy I know who had the same frame as me, 07 SXT III when they came as frame only. He beat the snot out of his for 2 seasons, cracked it in 2 places, sent it back to Specialized. They replaced it under warranty, then when he got the new frame he sold the brand new frame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You don't have to rule out buying a new bike; if you can find something that fits what you want, then that's great! The challenge is that a lot of manufacturers still don't outfit their DH complete bikes with very good components....there's a lot of cheap stuff out there that you may want to upgrade in the future anyways. If that transition is as good as people say it is, it might be a great option.

On the other end of the spectrum, good frames do last. I just sold my Brooklyn for a good percentage of its new value in its 9th year....and I still had no problem with it. I've heard of people with 06 Sundays, with all their bearings and issues, still going strong. It's all in how you maintain it and the quality of the construction. If you buy a Giant from 1999 and expect it to last several years, yeah-not so much.

As far as buying used, your best bet is to inspect the bike first and ride it before you buy. A good backup is to know the seller and his or her history. Buy from a reputable source like the classifieds here and even then only from people that actually post and contribute. Here are a few from the classifieds:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-10104/
looks like the guy put it together then quit riding...nearly brand new for who knows how much off retail...
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-10090/
Great looking ride that's way cheap and would get you through one or two seasons before you look for something else...and $2500 to spend on pads, equipment, and a trip to whistler.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-10078/
A little old, but great kit and looks lightly ridden
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-10075/
Great kit
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-10064/
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-10032/
brand new down to the reflectors
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-9924/
over your price but 39 lbs and he'd probably meet you at 3500
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-9791/
this bike looks almost brand new
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-9654/
killer frame

So there are some options. If you can find something like any of those near enough to ride first, check it out. I don't want to tell you that buying used is the only option, but it's not a terrible one either. A lot of people build bikes and then never use them, for whatever reason. Your mileage may vary on the warranty, but if you're saving 75% of retail on a frame that cracks 2 years after you buy it...then you really aren't out any significant amount of money.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I've bought new and used completes, and built bikes from new and used parts...

I'll never buy new again unless I can get an EP deal or some rediculous sale. The value just isn't there. I've had pretty good luck buying used parts, some smaller parts (pedals, etc) didn't last as long but the money I saved meant I could just buy another part to replace it. The only parts you really have to worry about are the frame, fork and bars due to the safety issue if they fail.

What I'd do in your situation: Find a frame or complete that has been lightly ridden, and then find any parts in used but good shape or good deals on new parts and build it up.

If you want a specific answer: Buy the Demo 7 that OBB posted up. Top notch frame and parts and still 500 under your budget including shipping.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
->Very true, Like a Demo 8!

Thing to remember, when you buy brand new from companies like Specialized or Giant, is that you get a warranty. The warranty ranges from 5yrs to life.
Smaller companies, like Santa Cruz and intense only offer 1-2yrs or no warranty at all, like FRO frames.
This is incorrect, Intense honors ALL of their frames with the same 2 year warranty.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I'm going with the Session 8. Its a few hundred more than I want to spend, but you only live once....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Personally, I'd only buy a used DH frame if I knew the person selling it and how they ride. DH bikes get alot of extreme use, and unless you know how it's been handled it's a crapshoot. What do you do if the frame cracks a month after you bought it? Did the previous owner keep on suspension maintenance? With the amount of $ you're spending, you can get a great bike new.
Every Used DH bike I have owned has had a short life with me. Its like buying a used crotch rocket......No matter how good it looks, unless you know the histoy first hand, you have to assume its been ridden hard...very hard. Thats just how it goes. I also see that buying used is about as acurate as playing texas holdem. you just never know what your geting into.

transitions are one of the cheapest complete builds you can buy! the blindside is around 3500 complete. not sure why you say its expensive when it falls within you budget? :rolleyes:

Thats what Im sayin!!!!!! You just cant get mroe bike for your money than a Blindside complete. Hell you could shavde a few hundred off it if you get a frame and buy a build kit elsewere....No reason at all why you cant be in a brand new blindside for 3500.

buy my demo 7 frame, 888, and wheels for 1150 and spend the rest on a killer build
Demo seven with an 888????? I do belive there is a reason SPeccy told us not to put DC's on those