Quantcast

i have 3 nuts...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i think climbing might be an even worse addiction than biking. i spent $78.29 on climbing gear today and am now broke once again. :bonk:
at least i got a discount on all of it...

and for those of you wondering what i got:
3 bd freewire quickdraws
2 #12 bd stoppers
1 #11 bd stopper
2 #8 bd stoppers (currently on order from the rei outlet)
1 nut tool

i am quite pumped that i've finally started to build up my trad rack though... :banana:

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
$78 made you broke?
notice the once again part...

i've only been paid for a week of work in the past month and haven't been making much in tips, so i haven't had much money lately. luckily my next paycheck is going to be big and i don't really have any expenses aside from climbing gear at this point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend of mine was breaking nut tools regularly. I made a handfull of them for him out of some $.59 shelf brackets and duct tape. He says they actually work better and last longer than the purchased ones.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
If your building a trad rack, why are you going with quickdraws as opposed to building your own extendable draws with a sling and one bent/wire gate and one straight gate? That way you have much much more flexibility and ease of creating a straight line of rope travel.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
If your building a trad rack, why are you going with quickdraws as opposed to building your own extendable draws with a sling and one bent/wire gate and one straight gate? That way you have much much more flexibility and ease of creating a straight line of rope travel.
He'll have to have some of those as well... maybe he already does. I have a bunch of QDs because they're nice and neat and easy to deploy. And a lot of routes have sections or even whole pitches that don't require 3' runners. :D

And where the F**K are the pitons?? :confused:

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
He'll have to have some of those as well... maybe he already does. I have a bunch of QDs because they're nice and neat and easy to deploy. And a lot of routes have sections or even whole pitches that don't require 3' runners. :D

True, and super handy to make quick anchors off of bolts. However, I only have runners kept in an alaskan sling...at least thats what I've been told its called. But, using a 4' runner fully extended can make sport pitches very interesting:biggrin:.

skinnymike, next on your list is aid gear:biggrin:

The only reason you need a long runners is to keep pro alignd right. Most biginner trad routs i've done dont need more then an 8" draw.
Pitons are for old folks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah J tree is all granite cracks size 3-4 cam and up.
Im still kinda a noob to climbing so Longs is oing to be a ways away. I can only climb 5.7-5.8 outside and am still a little weary with the multi pitch stuff.
Weary or wary? :think:

The West Face of Longs is a good intermediate trad "route" - I think the technical climbing was 3 pitches. The approach is pretty gnarly... as is the descent. :D

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Crack climbing is where its at. My first go at that was at tennesee wall for a week earlier this year...man, that place made single pitch trad so much more fun than I ever though it could be. 110+ climbs, with about a ten minute walk from first climb to last.

Sandstone crack climbing is so much different from the western carolina climbing I learned on.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i'm addicted to crack. hell, i shelled out $130 for my 5.10 pitons which are mediocre for most climbing, but amazing when you get them in a hand crack.

going to pawtuckaway tomorrow, i'll be playing around with my new toys a bit there. probably won't lead anything just yet. but you never know...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A friend of mine was breaking nut tools regularly. I made a handfull of them for him out of some $.59 shelf brackets and duct tape. He says they actually work better and last longer than the purchased ones.
You could make a fortune if you started making nuts, cams, etc...
How did he manage to break one of those things? I've bruised up my palm/thumb pretty good trying to bash out some stuck nuts.

Following on trad is cheaper...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i'm going to whitehorse ledge on tuesday, this will be my first experience with multi-pitch climbing. should be a good time. :cheers: