Quantcast

I have a big problem

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok so I got a conversion kit for the Halo SAS wheel to convert it to 10mm bolt on. I've been rinning it on my P2 for a while. but the problem is, is that the inside is wider then it should be. Ever since i put the kit on the wheel has been super hard to get inside the drop outs of my bike, and its screwed up my brakes.

Anyway I tried to put the old wheel on my new suburban frame and there is no way in hell i am going to be able to squeez it in there like I always did let alone slam it.

Heres a picture, the other side is flush:

(note the chip in the frame :( )

What do you think I should do?

Try and sand down the bolts...?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
No you don't understand, thats not the bolt.

What is shown in the picture is the bolt that holds the axle assembly together, there is another bolt that goes on the outside of the drop outs.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
If you want pull the drop outs futher apart i know i had to pull mine a bit on my Mob. Give it a shot or i guess just sand them down.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
I'm thinking, go to work on the existing bolts with a rotary tool, or find a nut/bolt manufacturer/shop/company in your area and pick up a thinner set.

edit: also, post pics of your suburban!

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks guys.

like I stated in my first post, there is no way for me to jam this wheel in there.

it seems like I can get one of the bolts off, but the other one (nds) is on there pretty tight. I'm afraid I will strip the threads if I grip the other side with pliars or something.

maybe I could just sand it down, I have a dremal too. But i'd need to go down about 5mm on each bolt...

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
1. the nuts are exactly the same length

2. how could I use two opposite pliers if one nut is on and the other is off?

3. the frame isn't tweaked because it is brand new I can fit another wheel in fine from my xc bike

Alright, so i went ahead and did some pretty heavy sanding and grinding. I shaved about 3 cm off the nut that I can get off (on the drive side). And to make things all good I'll just have to do the same to the nut on the other side...

Any suggestions on getting it off? I just put it on about 6 months ago and haven't touched it ever since :/

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
:imstupid: I figured it out. The axle could take an allen key so I just stuck that in there and the bolt came off super easy. then I just grinded it down a little bit.

Now everything fits perfectly :)

except I still need to convert my front 20mm hub to 9mm Qr ...:P I think my lbs has the kit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
3. the frame isn't tweaked because it is brand new I can fit another wheel in fine from my xc bike
did you measure the width of the hub before you did anything? as well as the width of the dropouts?

Also, just because it's brand new doesn't mean its not tweaked. I've seen brand new frames damaged out of the box because of improper packing (chain/seat stays got bent in).

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
did you measure the width of the hub before you did anything? as well as the width of the dropouts?

Also, just because it's brand new doesn't mean its not tweaked. I've seen brand new frames damaged out of the box because of improper packing (chain/seat stays got bent in).
Ya everything is fine now. THe suburban actualy came with this plastic piece that went intside the drop outs and held them together which was nice.

but ya I think it was 130mm was what my hub was supposed to be, but when I measured it, it was 140mm... so just too off 5mm from each side and now its great.:cheers:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the frame spacing should have been 135, not 130 (mountain/road standard is 135 mm). Also, 140 is not right either. Were you sure you assembled the conversion kit properly? You shouldn't have to grind any material to get a wheel to fit.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
this sounds pretty jankered to me.

Should've thrown a caliper on your hub, then on the inside of the drops on your frame to compare.
As jonKranked mentioned, both should be 135... unless you got a NS Capital frame, which would have been 110. And yeah, not unusual at all to receive a new frame with a crunched rear tri... mistaken ups side-load, etc, etc...
Are you sure you installed the cassette body into the hub properly during the axle swap? All bearings pressed into the proper places all the way?

Last edited:

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
You know the world's got problems
I've got problems of my own
Not the kind that can't be solved
With an atom bomb