Quantcast

I have a paintball gun for bears.............

Black bears without cubs I can deal with. momma with a cub or two will kill you if you get in the middle

I was fly fishing on the Snake in Grand Teton when I heard something really large behind me in the thicket. Never pulled out bear spray so damn fast in my life and quickly got my ass out of dodge. two days later on Jackson lake I was waist deep fly fishing when over a PA from the road I hear "fisherman: bear with cubs on trail between you and us" Again bearspray out safety off, shorts about to be dirty and I watched the momma griz and two cubs cruise by on the shore line.

I'll take black bears any day
Black bears have been rummaging around in the woods 100 yards north of our house. Across the stream there's a den with a sow and two cubs. Nice neighbors.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Out to dinner w/ the Frau last spring. Kid calls while we are on the way home, the bear that got into the trash a few nights ago is in the yard again. I tell him we are on the way, will be there in a few minutes. I get home, grab a spotlight and go out on the deck, shine the light down the hill and see a big black something, believed to be but not proven to be a bear, near the easement. I think- "How did the dog get down there so fast?" I look down, and he is sitting right next to me. Right then, the other dog sees the big black something and lights out after it before I can say go. I think "Well, this oughta be interesting..." Dog goes ripping after the bear, yapping and yipping all the way like a hound from hell. Bear takes off. clears the cattle gate in one bound and disappears into the darkness. Dog comes trotting back up the hill thinking he is the baddest mofo in the hood...

TL/DR. Bears are fast, my dogs are knuckleheads

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Guy I play hockey with suggested those, but he works doing wildland fire so he has a different perspective.

Yup, them bars is unpredictable as all get out. My dogs are both in the 100 lb range (Dont judge...) but they are pets, bears are still wild aminals...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
This little fella(?) was ambling down my street the other day...my first thought was "Oh crap, Barb and Gregs poodle got loose..."
thumbnail (2).jpg

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
wtf @kidwoo

at least send it somewhere interesting, like Highlands Ranch

fuckin californians moving here and ruining everything

what's with the family wrecking bullshit?

The sow's three young cubs, which have accompanied her on recent home break-ins, will potentially be relocated to Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue, a CDFW-permitted wildlife rehabilitation facility in Northern California.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Recently found a bear hole. The area smelled like a combination of wet dog, piss and BO.

Then I spotted potato bear grazing in the valley

1694195749580.png

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We have a "friendly neighborhood" black bear. He likes to come on my deck at night and tip over the chairs. He's taken my birdfeeder and I have chased him down to get it back. I have no doubt he will be stopping by again soon as he looks for an easy meal. Doesn't scare me, but I seem to scare him!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have a "friendly neighborhood" black bear. He likes to come on my deck at night and tip over the chairs. He's taken my birdfeeder and I have chased him down to get it back. I have no doubt he will be stopping by again soon as he looks for an easy meal. Doesn't scare me, but I seem to scare him!
Used to have a bear that would roll through the neighborhood and assault grills to clean out the grease traps.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Recently found a bear hole. The area smelled like a combination of wet dog, piss and BO.

Then I spotted potato bear grazing in the valley

View attachment 200255
If I go out west and geek out on the rocks. I would be afraid to stumble on a bear's den. While scrambling away I get stung by a scorpion. Then a mountain lion finishes me off. I only have to worry about ground bees and rattle snakes here.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I go out west and geek out on the rocks. I would be afraid to stumble on a bear's den. While scrambling away I get stung by a scorpion. Then a mountain lion finishes me off. I only have to worry about ground bees and rattle snakes here.
statistically speaking you're far more likely to be assaulted by an old white lady with german vacation sticks in a wide brimmed hat yelling at you for destroying mother earth with that mountainbike.

best practices involve a quick, wordless punch to the face. Doesn't even need to be hard, the species just isn't used to backlash because most of them have never encountered an opposing stance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have those too, however, the most dangerous thing here are the rocks (ground).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
statistically speaking you're far more likely to be assaulted by an old white lady with german vacation sticks in a wide brimmed hat yelling at you for destroying mother earth with that mountainbike.

best practices involve a quick, wordless punch to the face. Doesn't even need to be hard, the species just isn't used to backlash because most of them have never encountered an opposing stance.
I can only speak for shit locally but have never heard of any anti MTB stuff at all. The only "get the fuck off this trail" incidents have been people yelling at hikers on DH specific trails. I guess there has been some kerfuffles over roadside parking up at Galbraith, I hardly ever make it up there as that drive makes me want to veer into a bridge abutment, which wouldn't do much going 3 MPH.