Quantcast

I have a plug and can't find an adapter, treadmill cord!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

We had this giant treadmill in our garage. We sold it and the person asks how to plug it into the wall. I had to buy a special outlet for it that looks like this

So the cord looks like the opposite of that. Since we had it in our garage it was so easy to add the outlet. I know in a home setting it'd be the same (just change the outlet).

But I was wondering if there's an adapter out there that would change the way that plug would look to a normal one? So you could plug it into a normal wall socket? I know that they make plugs so you can plug a ground into a non-ground outlet.

This women is driving me nuts. It was a stupid craigslist sell. It took her almost 3 weeks to find someone with a truck to come and take it, and now she's crying about how she can't plug it in because of the cord. She tested it here and it worked. I didn't even think about the cord though because that stuff is second nature to me.

Any ideas?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Would be able to just cut the funky male-end off the cord and replace it with a standard one? There can't be a voltage difference, right?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
macko said:
Would be able to just cut the funky male-end off the cord and replace it with a standard one? There can't be a voltage difference, right?
Well for me, wiring, cutting, stripping isn't a big deal at all or even a problem/issue. For this stupid women I have NO idea how she'll figure it out.

We had to buy a wall plate with 2 outlets like the one in the picture. I wired it through a cut extension cord and screwed it down into the recepticle. I could have cut the end off and put a normal end on it because I think it's all the same. 120v stuff. I know if I hacked off the plug there would be 3 wires (positive, negitive, and ground). I could have done that too but the wall plug was easier :)

I called a local electric place and asked if they had a 20 amp to 15 amp plug converter and they said no, just 20 amp wall recepticles.

Ahhhh it's driving me nuts

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
maxyedor said:
All you need to do is go to a welding shop and buy a male end that fits that socket and a female end to fit the treadmill. Atatch both of them to a 1' peice of extension cord and the problem is solved.
So a welding shop would have something like this? So what I need is a female adapter and a male adapter and just splice them together basicly?

It's turned into more of a pain in the butt then I thought. It's a 110v unit and it says 20 amp. I've never had it once blow a circuit breaker but that is in our place. For all I know in some one elses it'd pop instantly because they might have a 15 amp breaker. You know what I mean?

So I gotta call her back :( and figure out what to do.