Quantcast

i have a question about .mp3 -> audio cd

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
if i burn an audio cd, will quality only be as good as how i previously ripped it? i figure it will, as that seems to make logical sense, but i'm just curious...

back in my pre-mp3-literate days, i ripped all my cds at 128 (since then, they were stolen, so i can't re-rip them). i just got a cd player for my apartment that doesn't read mp3s, so i'm going to burn some audio cds. should i expect so-so sound from them?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, your CD audio will only be as good as the MP3 file is.

Most people can't tell the difference between 128kbps MP3 files and CD audio - I wouldn't worry too much.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
narlus, you're an audiophile, aren't you? i went to Fry's today, looking for audio cables. is the quality of the $50+ cables really that much more than the $20 cables?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
the Inbred said:
narlus, you're an audiophile, aren't you? i went to Fry's today, looking for audio cables. is the quality of the $50+ cables really that much more than the $20 cables?

No.

Unless you are using really high end equiptment, you are not going to notice the difference between the Gold plated Monster cables, and the generic Radio Shack ones. If you are using home audio stuff, save yourself the $30.

Now, if you are using professional equipment on the other hand.... You may want to invest in some nice cables. Setting up and Tearing down equipment all the time really takes its toll on cables, and the nicer they are, the better they sound for longer.

And about the CD stuff, you should be fine with 128 MP3s. There will be a SLIGHT difference between that and say 192 or higher, but you most likely won't notice it especially in home theatre stuff and in your car. (again, unless of course you have pro stuff all over the place)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Just remember no matter how expensive your cables are, they are likely plugging into a $5.00 jack lead.

But $50 cables are for newbs, you need some of these. ( a bargain at $30,750.00)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
holy crap.....$30k. i like my $13 cables. my jaw almost hit the floor when i saw $99 for RCA cables. and of course, those were eye level.

Thanks for the answers.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
the Inbred said:
holy crap.....$30k. i like my $13 cables. my jaw almost hit the floor when i saw $99 for RCA cables. and of course, those were eye level.

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, $99 is a lot for RCA cables, but like I said earlier, when setting up and tearing down systems a lot, that $99 pays off. The $13 cables you have would probably last a gig or two with the type of things I put my cables through. Constant plugging and unplugging, rattling around in the back of a car/truck/van/roadcase, etc. do that a few times, buy a bunch of cheap cables, and then realize you could have bought nice cables to start off with and not had to keep buying new ones. I learned that the hard way. :nuts:

I have to say the nicest thing about the more expensive cables is definantly the connector. The heavier jacket and nicer copper is definantly a plus, but being able to take apart the connector and re-solder the busted connection is much nicer than having to buy new cables. The cheapo plastic ones are hard molded into the connector, so when it breaks, there is really no way to fix it. (I have, and its UUUUUGLY!)

but, again, that is in pro audio. For setting up home stuff that is never going to get moved or touched, you better belive I use the cheapest cables I can get away with!

Sorry for the long post, its almost 2am, I cant sleep, and i'm bored.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i never thought about the cable as stage equipment. i guess that explains the fancy outer coverings. i thought that was for the oooo-ahhh factor when dangling from a $5000 television.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
inbred, i'm definitely *not* an audiophile, and here's why:

- i don't obsess about stuff like oxygen-free copper inter-connects
- my setup doesn't cost the equivalent of a 7 series bmw
- i actually have a lot of music, and some of it recorded w/ absolutely no regard to fidelity (ie, sentridoh, billy childish, etc - no opera, alan parsons project, mike oldfield or similar pap corrupts my air)
- i don't mind listening to compressed files in lossy formats

i do have a nice system, but haven't upgraded anything in years, aside from my cd player (which i'm on my 4th). my speakers were bought in '86, as was my tape deck. my amp and pre-amp were bought in '91 or so, as was my turntable (am on my 3rd cartridge).

at some point i would love to splurge on some nice equipment, but the majority of the listening i do now is either in my car, or via my surround-sound and squeezebox (www.slimdevices.com for more info), which is fine w/ me.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
the Inbred said:
i never thought about the cable as stage equipment. i guess that explains the fancy outer coverings. i thought that was for the oooo-ahhh factor when dangling from a $5000 television.

Yeah, its really amazing just HOW MUCH cable comes in with a road show. And its also amazing how heavy those boxes of cable can be :dead: I hate feeder!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
narlus said:
my turntable (am on my 3rd cartridge).
how do you know when you need a new cartridge? i have finally got my mom's record player set up, and am just curious. the player is from my mom's wedding. i am 23, and my parent's were married a year or 2 before i came around. the cartridge is a Pioneer, so i think it's safe to say it is original, and the needle/ stylus is a Shure.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's one of those things like replacing a handlebar...it's all about use. go too long and the results could be disastrous. not really sure what a good indicator should be, really. check w/ the MFG.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
note, the cartridge i have has a non-user replaceable stylus, which is the thing that wears out, not the cartridge itself. they give you a credit when you send the whole thing in.