Quantcast

I have a question.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I am going to get a new bike soon, and I've narrowed it down to two bikes. I had to get a whole other forum mad at me to do so, so that's why I'm asking here.

For $600, the 2006 Specialized P.1 Cr-Mo.
For $600 (maybe less by the time I can finally get a bike), the 2005 Specialized P. Street.

Which should I go with?

And yes, I'm aware that the P. Street is on the heavier side, but not by TOO much. There's no way it's more than 5 pounds heavier than the Cr-Mo, which is roughly 30 lbs.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i have the p1 cro mo only thing left stock is the stem and seatpost. the frame is sick but the components blow, i run full 24's on it now with a zokey dj2 and its sweet. besides the components the only big difference is the p street has v brakes and the p1 has disc. i love mine the frame anyways.

the p.1 with it's 24/26 wheels set up rides like ass. I'm not bein a hater, I had one, and it was ghetto. See if the bikeshop can hook you up with a 24" front wheel, and get them to credit you for the 26" stock front wheel. Any shop worth their salt will do that. The bike rides way better with dual 24s. Hopefully for 2007, specialized will use the p2 cromo frame for the p1 bike, and spec with with dual 26s.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Which one should I get!?!? Keep in mind no major upgrades (grips yes, tires, not for a while, new or front brakes, a long while).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I prefer the P. 1. The fork on the P street is poopy. And that bike is real heavy. I know you say it's not 5 pounds heavier but I think it is. You should run a P. 1 on dual 24s. It'd be sweet.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Bicyclist said:
I prefer the P. 1. The fork on the P street is poopy. And that bike is real heavy. I know you say it's not 5 pounds heavier but I think it is. You should run a P. 1 on dual 24s. It'd be sweet.
My P.Street weighs 38pounds with 2 pegs. When you are done whining about how heavy it is, you begin to notice its actually a really really fun bike, that surprising easy to throw around.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
The fork is not that much heavier, and is a total tank.

How easy to wheelie? I really want to test ride one before I commit to buying anywhere or anyone's, but that may not be possible.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
escapeartist said:
My P.Street weighs 38pounds with 2 pegs. When you are done whining about how heavy it is, you begin to notice its actually a really really fun bike, that surprising easy to throw around.
Dude, I was riding one today and I could barely bunnyhop the thing.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
escapeartist said:
whatt?? no plug to sell the P-street while ur at it?? OR ARE U KEEPING IT sorry caps

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Do you run a DH rig? If so, then 38 pounds is probably going to end up feeling pretty light. I run a 34 pound BMX for park riding and the weight has yet to get in my way.

Do you want to run pegs? If so, then defiently hop on that P-street. Does the P.1 cro-mo run 14mm axles in back?? Even if it does, you'd still have to grind drive-side only or you'd smash the disk brakes to bits.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Eatmyfood! said:
The fork is not that much heavier, and is a total tank.

How easy to wheelie? I really want to test ride one before I commit to buying anywhere or anyone's, but that may not be possible.
It manuals pretty decently, its a bit difficult to "wheelie" just because its a smaller bike.

Bicyclist said:
Dude, I was riding one today and I could barely bunnyhop the thing.
I am fully capable of bunnyhoping mine.

it three's pretty well too:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v356/escapeartist/?action=view&current=360Clear.flv

Here's the deal. This bike is not for everyone. It serves a very specific purpose, and it weighs more than most people think a hardtail should. There are always gonna be some haters. If you ride this bike people will constantly tell you that it is crap because it is heavy, and/or the fork is a POS. If you can get over the bitching and go ride your bike then everything will be okay. This thing will never be as nice as a $1200 USB, or a $1200 fall guy, but for the guy who has half of that to drop on a bike, a P.Street will do just fine.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I am probably gonna get called out on here because mine is for sale. The ONLY reason it was every for sale is that I really need the money for a new camera, so I am selling both my bikes and buying something in between them. Ask Untitledsince89, I had so much fu on it the other day at our little dirt jump project, that I am considering keeping the thing. Peace.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I'm getting where I hate specialized's website! I was working on a very long post, and I opened specialized.com, and netscape f***ing quit on me!

Anyway, escapeartist and I have already discussed possibly buying.

38 pounds will feel heavy to me, but I won't run pegs unless I can find a skatepark that allows bikes (the only one in my town is a dedicated skate skatepark), and that will cut off about 2 pounds. I'll replace the heavy specialized compound tires with Kenda K-rads, and cut off about half a pound (not much, I know) and give me better grip on dirt. So I'm looking at a rough 35-36 pounds. Maybe I can get some lighter rims, too.

At one point, I was planning on doing extensive upgrades to run full disk brakes on the P. Street, but it wouldn't be worth the trouble and money. Of course, If I wanted disk brakes, I could get the Cr-Mo, but then I'd only have one brake. I want two brakes. Whichever one I get basically depends on whether or not I can make any upgrades right away. If I did get the P. Street, I would only run front disk brake, or maybe just get another bike, but one with gears this time.

When you say hard to bunnyhop, are you referring to the correct bunnyhop, or pulling up both wheels at the same time?

Trust me, wheeling the P. Street should not be a problem. The frame is actually longer than the 06 p. frames, and I can wheelie them just fine. After about a day of getting used to the smaller back tire (same size as the P.1 Cr-mo, I can wheelie that too) and the slightly heavier fork (2 pounds heavier), I can go have some fun at the jumps! Of course, I'll basically have to re-learn wheelies: I've been without a a bike I can wheelie for almost four months now, so I don't trust myself to remember my balance point.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Lemme start off by saying I'm a really little guy. That said, I rode a P. Street yesterday w/o pegs and I could barely manual/bunnyhop it. It's prolly my size but it was ridiculous. I can bunnyhop my Demo 8 that's over 40 pounds a lot easier.

I just think that the P. 1 is a better bike. W/ a 24" F wheel the geo is sweet and it's a lighter, more fun bike.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I don't think so. The crmo is designed for a 26/24 setup. Maybe 'cause you're so small it feels better for you, and maybe that's your problem with the P. Street. I'm nearing 5' 10" and nearing 140 pounds, and if I can lift myself out of a chair, a 7 pound fork should not be a problem. I see where you're coming about the P.1 being a better bike, but it only has one brake and bad grips. I really want two, and I'm willing to add some weight to get them. Besides, the pedals on the P. Street are kickass! I know that the crmo has nice geometry, I've ridden one, but other than tob tube length, the geometry is pretty much the same.

05 P.Street

Size Long
Stand Over Height 26"
Top Tube Length* 578mm
Head Tube Length 110mm
Head Angle 70.0°
Seat Angle 72.0°
Wheel Base 1035mm
Chain Stay Length 391mm
BB Height 12"
* TT is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST

P.1 Cr-Mo

Size Long
Stand Over Height 26.5"
Top Tube Length* 596mm
Head Tube Length 110mm
Head Angle 69.5°
Seat Angle 72.0°
Wheel Base 1025mm
Chain Stay Length 390mm
BB Height 11.85"

Do you think you could PM or e-mail me some pictures similar to the ones escapeartist has in his add, just so I can compare certain things about them?

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
When I said 38 pounds, I wasn't refrencing it's weight. I was just throwing a random number out there.

To be honest, I have no clue as to what a P-street weighs.

Ohh! The p.1 cro-mo has a lower BB height. If you're thinking about going full on 24, that might go down a little bit, too. Not much, mind you, but it's a difference.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i run my p1cro mo with dual 24's and its awsome, dj2, one brake, holyrollers, arrow rims, woodman ss hub clickin in the back, the geo is perfect and it manuals nice, jumps super nice, street stuff is good too(360) tire taps, fufanu's and such are a breeze.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Eatmyfood! said:
I don't think so. The crmo is designed for a 26/24 setup. Maybe 'cause you're so small it feels better for you, and maybe that's your problem with the P. Street. I'm nearing 5' 10" and nearing 140 pounds, and if I can lift myself out of a chair, a 7 pound fork should not be a problem. I see where you're coming about the P.1 being a better bike, but it only has one brake and bad grips. I really want two, and I'm willing to add some weight to get them. Besides, the pedals on the P. Street are kickass! I know that the crmo has nice geometry, I've ridden one, but other than tob tube length, the geometry is pretty much the same.

05 P.Street

Size Long
Stand Over Height 26"
Top Tube Length* 578mm
Head Tube Length 110mm
Head Angle 70.0°
Seat Angle 72.0°
Wheel Base 1035mm
Chain Stay Length 391mm
BB Height 12"

P.1 Cr-Mo

Size Long
Stand Over Height 26.5"
Top Tube Length* 596mm
Head Tube Length 110mm
Head Angle 69.5°
Seat Angle 72.0°
Wheel Base 1025mm
Chain Stay Length 390mm
BB Height 11.85"

Do you think you could PM or e-mail me some pictures similar to the ones escapeartist has in his add, just so I can compare certain things about them?
That's nice, but I'm about 6' 140# and I would ride the P. 1. With dual 24s it'd be nice and low and steep.

The P street that my local Superblow measured on their scale was about 47 pounds with 2 pegs.

DON'T buy a bike for pedals and grips. Hell if you lived near me I'd give you some grips. But it comes down to how it rides. Plus 2 brakes are gay on street/dirt bikes.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Bicyclist said:
The P street that my local Superblow measured on their scale was about 47 pounds with 2 pegs.
Mine weighed 38pounds with 2 pegs on the scale in the shop I worked at. I have since switched shops, and if it would make everyone happy, I can weigh it on my new shops scale, and we can see what it is. Hell, I'll even take pictures.

Bicyclist said:
Plus 2 brakes are gay on street/dirt bikes.
If there is one thing in this entire argument that I can assure everyone of, its that regardless of the bike you will buy, it will NEVER have a sexual preference what-so-evere.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
escapeartist said:
If there is one thing in this entire argument that I can assure everyone of, its that regardless of the bike you will buy, it will NEVER have a sexual preference what-so-evere.

ohh you got owned, and wtf dual brakes are fine, on a ht doesn't matter what people think, front and rear brakes, are great for super tight dj's where u need good stopping considering the front brake provides 75% of your stopping power

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I may have gotten "owned" but at least at the end of the day I can construct a coherent sentence.

And on the weight I wouldn't be surprised if the SuperGo "mechanics" read the scale wrong.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Bicyclist said:
I may have gotten "owned" but at least at the end of the day I can construct a coherent sentence.

And on the weight I wouldn't be surprised if the SuperGo "mechanics" read the scale wrong.
ohh supergo superblow, funny one didn't catch that 47 pounds damn they really are blind,

idk read the my previous post, its not worded the best, but u get the point

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I honestly think that your scale is broken. There is just not enough bike in a P. Street to weigh 47 pounds.

Here is a rough estimation, rounding everything up

Wheelset-7 pounds
Frame-7 pounds
Fork-7.5 pounds
Crank/drivetrain/bottom bracket/pedals-7 pounds
brakes/levers-3 pounds
pegs-2 pounds
handlebar/stem/grips-5 pounds
headset- 1 pound

That's a total of no more than roughly 40 pounds with pegs. I probably guessed a little too much weight for the crank and stuff and the handlebar and stuff, and a little too less weight for the frame, so 38 pounds with the pegs seems more correct.

I would rather go with a P.1 Cr-Mo if I can afford to add a front brake. You don't need a front brake for DJ, yes, but you do need one for trials, and I plan to use whatever bike I get to learn some trials basics.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, stop worrying about it. You look at bikes for the most ridiculous reasons. "Oh, I like these grips," or "oh, these pedals make the bike." Just ride both and make up your desicion there.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
Bicyclist said:
Dude, stop worrying about it. You look at bikes for the most ridiculous reasons. "Oh, I like these grips," or "oh, these pedals make the bike." Just ride both and make up your desicion there.
exactly my thoughts

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I'm new to the sport. Give me time. Atleast this forum doesn't yell at me to go get a job and buy my own bike like MTBR does. I've decided that the P.1 Cr-Mo is more my kind of bike. I'm gonna try and test ride a P. Street, but it's looking just too heavy.