Quantcast

I have a Rant

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
This goes out to the "I buy over the net" guys an gals out there.

As a shop employee, I could seriously give a rats ass were you get your parts. Bring them in, I will be happy to install them for the same labor I charge when you buy your parts from me directly. But this is were I get pissed, and this is just wrong to do. If you are going to buy your parts and supplies online, dont come in, waste an hour an a half getting the right pair of shoes, figure the differences between these pedals and those pedals, only to tell the shop employee, " Oh I am not buying them here, I am going to order online cause I can get them for half this price". If you want to do that, Piss off. There is a reason your paying more at the shop, it because I am willing to spend that hour with you to make sure you will enjoy your shoes, and make sure you will be happy with youir pedals. Also, ask me for a price match, but dont expect it. I will price match, but I will NOT pricematch a direct price, My match will be the same as what you woul pay AFTER SHIPPING. You want a minute to ask a quick question..... fine, but dont take up my time for an hour only to leave without spending a dime with me. You want great CS, spend your money with me, you want cheap parts..... Fine, buy online, but stop insulting shops by coming in, trying on shoe after shoe, walking aroun, having them shoe you how to install your cleats, how to use the clipless system only to go somewhere else to buy.

Oh and to top it off, DONT CALL AN HOUR LATER AND ASK FOR THE PART NUMBER FOR THE PEDALS YOU CHECKING OUT BECAUSE YOUR ABOUT TO ORDER THEM FROM JENSONS...........Ass.

Rant over.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Funny you rant about this, I see this exact thing all of the time at my shop. The best thing to do is ask them if they are going to buy the shoe from the store. If they say they aren't, you tell them you are going on lunch break so they don't get the benefit of trying on the shoe.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bought a pair of sneakers sight unseen from SAC. I wouldn't even go into REI to waste their time.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Funny side story speaking of shoes. I was in a pizza parlor and one of the guido's behind the counter was talking about shoes. Then the commercial for geox came on. "The shoe that breathes" because it has holes in the bottom. In the commercial o show that they are breathable they simulate are rushing out of the holes which looks like steam ( but obviously air.) The owner walks in and the guido behind the counter turns to him and say's "Hey, maybe you should get your kid those shoes with the water that comes out the bottom." When I heard that, I turned around and gave the "you are a dumbass" look. He still didn't get why I was looking at him like a dumbass.

paperplane

Chimp
Sep 24, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Good rant! I work at a shop and I tell our regulars who I know do some internet shopping that they should at least give our store a chance to match the prices they find online. If we can't match it then I tell them to go right ahead and buy it online.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You're looking at this in a glass half empty kind of way. In any retail/service business half the battle is getting the person to the store in the first place, regardless of their reasons. Once the person is there you then have a chance to sell to them if you're a good enough salesperson.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You're looking at this in a glass half empty kind of way. In any retail/service business half the battle is getting the person to the store in the first place, regardless of their reasons. Once the person is there you then have a chance to sell to them if you're a good enough salesperson.
Getting mad to the guy's face is a mistake, but if the sole intention is to try to buy online, that's a bad sign.

If you are going to do it, just say so when you walk in. A guy on a Specialized sponsored team did that, and I had no problem. Turns out he was the top California master, and I enjoyed chatting with him, even if he gets everything for free!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Spent hours with a guy talking about bikes, he bought NOS from a shop in WA that said it was an employee bike on eBay. Tires had never touched the ground, no brake drag. Later went over ins and outs of SL+ Powertap and learned he had a 705 Edge I got no chance to sell to him. He drives a $75k car and has the same kind of niche moto. Found out he bought a hub on eBay for $40 more than my cost. It needs a Shimano hub body. They are out of stock on them. I could have done the hub for $200 more. Sure it's more money, and I realize it's significantly so, but I did the selling and would have done support. I will NOT set it up. I also will give Saris the serial number from the hub so they can trace it through a killer EP program they did. I gave the bike company the serial number on the eBay bike. Two things, he will never get warranty and they can track the shop that sold it. It's not the consumer's fault, as anyone should save money. It's the whores that set it up. The bike industry is broken in that respect. It's mfg, distributor and shop level. It's from all kinds of sources.

As for class, that guy has none. As for help, my customer will still get help on some things, and I will build the wheel, but my answers will be consistent yes/no types moving on. I will direct ALL tech questions to the intarwebs since he is so good at it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I can see how this would piss off shops. If I decide to go to a shop to try something on for sizing, I'll give the shop the courtesy of buying the product from them.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
HAHA! Oh lord, I have experienced this myself! But Valve Bouncer has a point: the person who came in to try on shoes at our shop later came back to buy pedals and have us install the cleats. We were even nice enough to set his bike up on a trainer and show him how to get in/out of his spd's (1st timer). He keeps coming back now.

But if I could add in my own mail order rant (or rather a "justice served" story):
Once a person (starting tri-geek) came in with a mail order box of box of 10 speed stuff- rear derailleur, shifter and cogs. He wanted us to install it on his bike (by tomorrow for an event, no less- it is Friday afternoon). Problem was that his bike older and was set up for 8 speed - incompatible! he said, ..."but, but I was told by a friend this would work...." Ahhhhh, no.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, here is how it went

Cus...Hey can I get your help with Pedals and shoes? I want to start riding with clipless pedals

Me... Sure, give me just two minutes to put this bike in the repair stand<Madone 5.2>

Cus... Great

Me... Ok, how can I help

Cus... I have no idea what I am doing or looking for

Me... Ok, well what kind of riding are you doing

Cus...Just small trails out on a mtn bike

Me... Ok for beginners I like to reccomend SHimano 454's<List of my reasons>

Cus...<now very sold on getting this model of pedal>Ok so what shoes go with these?

Me... Well lets go over to the shoes.

<Break for discussing different models while trying on to get a proper fit>
At this point its been a little over an hour. I spend about another half an hour teaching how to use clipless pedals in the first place.

Me.. Ok, we have your shoes, we have your pedals, is there anything else I can do for you toay sir? Any other items your in need of?

Cus... Oh I am not buying these here, I am going to go home and order them online, I can get them cheaper that way.

Me... Well how much can you get them for?

Cus... Doesnt matter, you cant match it anyways.

Me... Try, let me know how much you are paying for the parts plus shipping.

Cus.... See you cant match it, you want shipping too.

Me... Ok, go ahead and pay shipping then, Let me just put these parts back then sir, Have a nice day.

The problem with this is I still have to be nice and respectfull with these type of customers. Even though they dont spend money with me, they are still part of the cycling community in the area, which also means they talk to other cyclists in the area, so if he goes off telling them about how much of a dick I am, I will be getting less customers, meaning less profit ETC.

Seriously, if he came in and told me he was shopping online, he just needed his shoe sized, I would have helped him, but I wouldnt have dedicated the next hour just for that, and he wouldnt have been trying on the 200 dollar shoes.I would have made my suggestion for pedals and sent him on his happy little way.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I can see how this would piss off shops. If I decide to go to a shop to try something on for sizing, I'll give the shop the courtesy of buying the product from them.
I did this for my full face helmet. I was planning on ordering online, but didn't know what size to get. Went to the LBS to try one on and bought the helmet there. If someone is going to go out of their way to help my sorry butt, the least I can do is give them my business

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hated those customers. Luckily I never had an experience like yours; I don't think I would've kept my cool as well. Maybe that's why I was a mechanic and not on the sales floor (or maybe it was because I was always hungover and reeked of booze)...

Anyways, kinda on your point... last night I went to my LBS to have a steerer cut, crown race & star fangled installed. The guy did it on the spot for me. I was pretty surprised, I expected to have to wait, especially since I rolled in 10 minutes before close. I had been looking around for a new pair of shoes, so while my steerer was being serviced I tried on a few pairs and picked a pair and bought it. I buy a good amount of stuff online, but I always make a point to pick up a few things here and there at the LBS. Helps them stay in business, so when I need something, I know they'll be there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The only time I ever brought my bike into a shop to get worked on it was an e-bay purchase. It helped that I wheeled the bike into the shop while carrying a few cases of beer.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I will openly admit I have done this with large retail chains like Best Buy when it comes to items like a DVD player, or cool new game. But I don't try a product at a local shop, then buy online after wasting employee time.

That is pretty sketchy from my point of view. But I also spend money I don't have to at local shops more often than not, just to support them.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The only time I ever brought my bike into a shop to get worked on it was an e-bay purchase. It helped that I wheeled the bike into the shop while carrying a few cases of beer.
I used the beer trick to get some quick after-hours service from my LBS last summer. Turns out the merchandise they sell is a little low end, but the service is good.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I buy most of my stuff used or online, but I wouldn't go into a shop and try stuff on if I knew that I was going to buy elsewhere. If I did do that for some reason, I certainly wouldn't waste a ton of the salesperson's time.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I didn't get to read the rest of this thread yet, I just need to make a comment.

You're a freaking idiot.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have also had that happen to me a couple times when I was working and managing bike shops.
We had situations like jim mac all of the time. The good thing about those was that it was usually pretty funny for us to watch someone have thier weekend trip or ride ruined because they got the the wrong crap online to save $30.

I get the same kind of crap with my job now but it is a bit different.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
And I'm thimble-cocked as well!!

Good to know.

Salesmanship is becoming something of the past, your comment about being a good salesman is not going to do a damn thing for the ever more popular mooch out there these days.

On a good day I could sell plastic bags of sand on the beach in Miami, I deal with this crap everyday. The thing is that consumers don't care where or who they buy stuff from anymore, they want the best deal. Most of them don't consider the long term consequences of buying elsewhere to save a couple bucks.

I have had more people than I can count tell me that they like me, they like what I have to offer, they like my location ect ect but they are going to take my price to the next guy to see if he can beat me and that is where they will do business.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Good to know.

Salesmanship is becoming something of the past, your comment about being a good salesman is not going to do a damn thing for the ever more popular mooch out there these days.

On a good day I could sell plastic bags of sand on the beach in Miami, I deal with this crap everyday. The thing is that consumers don't care where or who they buy stuff from anymore, they want the best deal. Most of them don't consider the long term consequences of buying elsewhere to save a couple bucks.

I have had more people than I can count tell me that they like me, they like what I have to offer, they like my location ect ect but they are going to take my price to the next guy to see if he can beat me and that is where they will do business.
There you go, a reasoned thread contribution, maybe what you should have said instead of calling me a "freaking idiot". Keep up the good work!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ok, here is how it went

Cus...Hey can I get your help with Pedals and shoes? I want to start riding with clipless pedals

Me... Sure, give me just two minutes to put this bike in the repair stand<Madone 5.2>

[horrible aggravating dialog]

Cus... Doesnt matter, you cant match it anyways.

Me... Try, let me know how much you are paying for the parts plus shipping.

Cus.... See you cant match it, you want shipping too.

Me... Ok, go ahead and pay shipping then, Let me just put these parts back then sir, Have a nice day.

The problem with this is I still have to be nice and respectfull with these type of customers. Even though they dont spend money with me, they are still part of the cycling community in the area, which also means they talk to other cyclists in the area, so if he goes off telling them about how much of a dick I am, I will be getting less customers, meaning less profit ETC.

Seriously, if he came in and told me he was shopping online, he just needed his shoe sized, I would have helped him, but I wouldnt have dedicated the next hour just for that, and he wouldnt have been trying on the 200 dollar shoes.I would have made my suggestion for pedals and sent him on his happy little way.
Let me guess... he was riding a Trek (I re-read it and he had a Madone, of course).

This economy allows assholes to be assholes because they have money. But there is an come-uppance. There is still a benefit to being in a shop, and busting your chops is it.

I am one of the most knowledgeable and experienced guys in my old shop, but one time there was a palace revolt and all the groms started fvcking with me. One kid stole my glasses and I had to chase him through two parking lots, another emptied a garbage can on my car, a third a few weeks later locked a broken Magma to my car and I had to cut the frame off.

I am pretty obnoxious now, but imagine if I didn't have the checks and balances of friends and co-workers.

I would be this douchebag who wants to compare online prices ata LBS.