Quantcast

I have acquired a Campy grouppo...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Centaur 10 speed, circa 2005. Do I keep it and run it with all its weird Campy-ness, or do I pawn in favor of SRAM Rival? Does anyone even want this crap anymore?

Decisions, decisions...Going on an 02 Klein Quantum, btw.

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
They're nice bits, but I don't know if I want to deal with the quirks of Campy (tools, not compatible with ANYTHING, and it's heavy).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's not that I inherently hate Campy (I don't), it's that I'm more concerned about spare parts. I'm a working bike messenger and can't have a bike down for a week because I need some ultra-specialized Campy part that has to be ordered, or can't fix something on the spot because Campy is a bitch about working with anything else...

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping it and running it...BTI is clean out of SRAM stuff for whatever reason, and I'm not keen on running Shimano again.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You can run sram chains on it. You need an extra cassette. Only the dumbest person thinks you need specific tools. You do have to have a campy lockring tool and a chain tool for their chains, but it's stupid to think it's special. The cables are different, but just stock a couple at home.

Centaur 10 is just fine. It works well. It has micro adjust, so I don't see the issue. I preferred that group over Record of that generation. Stop being such a disingenuous douche and appreciate it for what it is.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You can run sram chains on it. You need an extra cassette. Only the dumbest person thinks you need specific tools. You do have to have a campy lockring tool and a chain tool for their chains, but it's stupid to think it's special. The cables are different, but just stock a couple at home.
I was planning to order an AC Conversion cassette so I wouldn't need to run a Campy wheelset (I got one with the kit, but it's a heavy setup with a 13-30 cassette).

Different cables?! Wow, I don't know sh!t about Campy...

Stop being such a disingenuous douche and appreciate it for what it is.
Ahahaa, a new one!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
You do have to have a campy lockring tool and a chain tool for their chains, but it's stupid to think it's special. The cables are different, but just stock a couple at home.
Park tool works, just need to relieve tension from the chain (i drop it behind the little ring). and for cables, all you need to do is grind the head down.

2005 retained the ability to dump more than one gear at a time, correct?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Fock it, I'm keeping the supplied wheels and getting a Campy cassette. The Centaur hubs are ubernice, even though the Ambrosio Evolution rims are "meh". I can always build with something else someday.

Guess I'm a Campy fag after all.

genroxbro

Chimp
Jul 29, 2009
If it actually uses a Campy 10 speed cassette as opposed to a Mavic cassette with Campy spacing, the 9 speed should work as well since Campy 9 and 10 speed cassettes have the same splines and same overall width. Why not just try one of your existing Campy cassettes and see if it works?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm a Campy guy, but only if you're talking Chorus and above. Ditch that shizz quick. At that level you're better off with Shimano.
Naah. Centaur is still forged components. Below Centaur then they used stamped parts.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Finally built this morning.

I forgot how weird Campy feels coming from Shimano.

That said, it's shifting as well as the 7800 group I've been clowning on for the past week. Not sure that I'm a huge fan of the brifter hood shape (I have big hands).

Last edited: