Quantcast

I have decided to...

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Not stop riding DH. I've been warned but I can't just quit a passion of mine. I am taking proper precausions and I am going to be carful and not always feel the need to do something crazy(like try to lay a flat table off the box in Whister = Very bad). I am going to take it easy untill I can reach the level where I can do those things.
Are there any other precausions I should take care of?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
ThePriceSeliger said:
Not stop riding DH. I've been warned but I can't just quit a passion of mine. I am taking proper precausions and I am going to be carful and not always feel the need to do something crazy(like try to lay a flat table off the box in Whister = Very bad). I am going to take it easy untill I can reach the level where I can do those things.
Are there any other precausions I should take care of?
Try to avoid doing dumb things.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Honestly, you can't over think this. I find that the more I think about keeping the bike on the wheels, the more it ends anywhere but the wheels. You can't think about crashing all the time. If you're approaching a jump, and all you're doing is thinking about all of the ways you're going to crash, you will crash.

My suggestion, ride with confidence and stay within your limits. Stay away from jumps and drops that have a high penalty for failure right now, and just flow with your bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's hard to find the right mix of progression and calculated risk. Wear lots of protective gear and learn to love the feeling of good flow. I sound like a hippy but just being out on a bike is awesome, it doesn't have to be the hellathrowdown every time.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have been having the same problems. I LOVE my sport, but I just keep getting hurt. I was really good at calculating the risks this season, and did well at the races, until Snowshoe, where I blew out my knee. I know what I did wrong, I was pushing too hard in poor conditions. I have learned from my mistake, but my mistake will affect me for the rest of my life. Am I going to stop riding? NO. Am I going to do more training and try to build up my strength and bike handling? Yes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Just keep riding, time in the saddle definately goes a long way. Just like with anything there are people who are "naturals" and don't need as much time or effort to be technically gifted. And there are many people who have bmx or motorbike history as a kid so the transition is much smoother. But even these people crash, and i haven't heard of anyone who is a skilled rider that hasn't missed time from injury. There is always a price to pay, but if you ride way over your head, the price is much higher.
Main thing is to have fun and instead of trying to impress, stop and study what other people do to get to the point of where you want to be.

Personally i look at my riding as many things. Progression, and the will to learn and progress is a big peice. But it's definately not the whole pie.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I racked up for concussions last year and had to take things easy, it was tough when I got caught up in the moment but considering the consequences of not being able to ride at all made me calm down. And it doesn't matter what kind of riding it is, if you push your limits, on occasion you will pay the consequences.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Stay away from plattekill. Nah, jk. You still gunna ride platty this spring when they open?