Quantcast

I have officially joined the club

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Finally the rain stopped and got to spin the road bike. Not a pretty beginning and the whole thing ended with cramping in my right leg.

I choose a 56 size frame and it seems perfect. I am not sure if the handle bar is in the perfect angle yet or the seat at the right height. It would be really cool if I knew some experience roadies in the area that could give me a some pointers with the overall setup.

Didn't get comfortable with the gearing and all the shift lever throw especially down shifting. I miss the quickness of the rapid fire. The baggy shorts and the XC helmet really sucked but that I knew. Biggest surprise was the bike felt really comfortable and was much nicer to ride than the XC bike.

All in all I am super happy with the purchase and can't wait to ride some more.

PS Thank you to the roadie monkeys so far help with my newbie questions :cheers:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
try not to get hit by a car
:stupid:

and we need photos! As for saddle position and bar placement, I would hunt on the cycling websites like velonews.com. I keep my foot flat through the pedal stroke and my cleats are all the way back on my shoes so I run a lower saddle, and its set back most of the way. I tend to keep the top of hood flat with the bar so its a smooth transition....although my cross bikes have the hoods up slightly.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It might not be a bad idea to try and mimic the seat height and position of your XC bike as a baseline if you are comfortable on it. A bit more saddle setback is common on road bikes. As for bar angle and hood position, that will vary a lot according to the components you are running. Some shifters (and bars) are better run in different ways. I use older style 9 speed Shimano shifters and run them angled up a bit otherwise I am leaning a bit too far forward when on the hoods. I think newer style shifters are easier to run with a flatter transition. Or, at least it seems that I see more set up flat, while a lot of people running older Shimano stuff run them higher. Flat or a slight incline is a good baseline I think. I ride on the road a decent amount, but I might be wrong about this stuff...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What saddle do you have? For saddle tilt, you should level the nose, not the back of the saddle, but it does depend on the model.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Saddle is a Fizik Arione. So far it flet more comfortable than the Flite I have on the XC bike but I rode less miles.

Judging by the feel of my legs it feels like I use the mucles different due to the new riding position. I hope I can get out Sunday for a ride.

I will take some pictures this weekend.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Didn't get comfortable with the gearing and all the shift lever throw especially down shifting. I miss the quickness of the rapid fire.
I was out yesterday and thought to myself "This 105 shifts perfectly. I wish my mtb would shift like this"