Quantcast

I have one rule

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
If Journey or Foriegner comes on a channel that I am listening to on my XM, I immediately change it

Time to find my remote

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
In a town with out a name, in a heavy down pour, though cast his own shadow through the back stage door... like a trip to the past, that day in the rain, that one guitar , made his whole life change....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MunkeeHucker said:
In a town with out a name, in a heavy down pour, though cast his own shadow through the back stage door... like a trip to the past, that day in the rain, that one guitar , made his whole life change....

i've been trying for years to find soul asylum's cover of that song...apparently it was on the UK pressing of _Clam Dips and Other Delights_ but i've yet to find a copy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
i've been trying for years to find soul asylum's cover of that song...apparently it was on the UK pressing of _Clam Dips and Other Delights_ but i've yet to find a copy.
:think:

Sometimes I wonder if you search for good, or search for the sake of searching...

:blah:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
narlus said:
I have never heard of that cover, I will start looking too.... I like SA...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
:think:

Sometimes I wonder if you search for good, or search for the sake of searching...

:blah:
depends on how much time i have to kill.

seriously, though - since the advent of the mp3 file, record stores have gotten a lot less interesting.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
depends on how much time i have to kill.

seriously, though - since the advent of the mp3 file, record stores have gotten a lot less interesting.
Which is sad, because mp3's sound like ass.

SA played the warehouse we used to haunt in Emeryville back in 85. It was cool to watch them get zapped the whole set by the ungrounded mics. They were champs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
Which is sad, because mp3's sound like ass.
maybe my ears are fried from too much sound, but @ 192 variable bit rate, i can't tell a difference. there's an ABX plug-in for foobar which i should try if i get the time to test it properly, but the fact is that i've got all my crap already ripped to mp3, so the chances of me repeating what took over a year to do is miniscule.

however, if i had to do it over again (ie, had the computer i have now, and the squeezebox audio streamer), i would rip to FLAC.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
luken8r said:
FYI: I have yet to see the Pixies on any channel here.

FYI: If you are *seeing* Pixies while *listening* to the radio you really need to check the labels on your cholesterol meds carefully. Somebody might have slipped up and given you a prescription for lsd instead. It's a minor mistake, happens all the time.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
maybe my ears are fried from too much sound, but @ 192 variable bit rate, i can't tell a difference.
I can't recall the article, it was forever ago, I think it was in Mix magazine, but it had something to do with the jaggedness, or "sawtooth" of the frequencies produced by digital sound. Higher bandwidth digital sound still has this, yet at a much less perceptible amount. The jaggedness has an unconcious psycho-acoustic effect, and is overall less pleasureable to listen to than analog recordings. Analog has a much smoother wave.

Or something along those lines. :rolleyes: All I know is I still love the way my LP's and tapes sound.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
jdschall said:
FYI: If you are *seeing* Pixies while *listening* to the radio you really need to check the labels on your cholesterol meds carefully. Somebody might have slipped up and given you a prescription for lsd instead. It's a minor mistake, happens all the time.
You can SEE who is playing when you scroll the channels. If something tickles my fancy, I will stop and LISTEN to it

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
I can't recall the article, it was forever ago, I think it was in Mix magazine, but it had something to do with the jaggedness, or "sawtooth" of the frequencies produced by digital sound. Higher bandwidth digital sound still has this, yet at a much less perceptible amount. The jaggedness has an unconcious psycho-acoustic effect, and is overall less pleasureable to listen to than analog recordings. Analog has a much smoother wave.

Or something along those lines. :rolleyes: All I know is I still love the way my LP's and tapes sound.
there's no doubt that a digital waveform will have discrete bits like you describe, unlike the smooth waveform of an analog device. however, it's diminishing returns as you bump up the sample rate; 44.1kHz should be pretty hard to tell a difference to most people.

this is a decent overview for people who want to read more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
luken8r said:
If Journey or Foriegner comes on a channel that I am listening to on my XM, I immediately change it

Time to find my remote
Haha...yeah, I hear that. Sometimes XM can go off the deepend a bit. I'm partial to Ethel myself (and I like Bluesville in the evening).