Quantcast

I have to move....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Or find a new job. I was kind of liking my job here. But I don't like here so much. My choices are:

1. New York - Been there, done that but the money is amazing.
2. Los Angeles - Sounds cool. but expensive.
3. Chicago - They love me there. I love the city but no riding...
4. Philadelphia - No freekin way. Unless it has changed bigtime since the last time I lived there....
5. Boston - My choice but I didn't interview well and my competition is "Joe family guy" and played that to the hilt....
6. San Francisco - Sounds cool if I can find a place in the city, if not the burbs and Oakland sound like a cluster F.
7. Dallas-Ft. Worth - I hate Texas, but I am a whore for the cash...
8. DC - No freekin way, but I am the front runner for the job...
9. Atlanta - Sounds cool, but hectic.
10. Houston - No.

I also applied for jobs in Nashville, Portland, and Denver. But I would make a lot less money.

The point of this post... Well I guess to get some **** off my chest. Any input would be appreciated though. So far the front runner is LA. I would love to go back to Boston but like I said. Unless something drastic happens I prolly won't end up there.

Oh well. Where would you go?

jdcamb

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
Or find a new job. I was kind of liking my job here. But I don't like here so much. My choices are:

1. New York - Been there, done that but the money is amazing.
2. Los Angeles - Sounds cool. but expensive.
3. Chicago - They love me there. I love the city but no riding...
4. Philadelphia - No freekin way. Unless it has changed bigtime since the last time I lived there....
5. Boston - My choice but I didn't interview well and my competition is "Joe family guy" and played that to the hilt....
6. San Francisco - Sounds cool if I can find a place in the city, if not the burbs and Oakland sound like a cluster F.
7. Dallas-Ft. Worth - I hate Texas, but I am a whore for the cash...
8. DC - No freekin way, but I am the front runner for the job...
9. Atlanta - Sounds cool, but hectic.
10. Houston - No.

I also applied for jobs in Nashville, Portland, and Denver. But I would make a lot less money.

The point of this post... Well I guess to get some **** off my chest. Any input would be appreciated though. So far the front runner is LA. I would love to go back to Boston but like I said. Unless something drastic happens I prolly won't end up there.

Oh well. Where would you go?

jdcamb
I've been to all of those places, many times.

My suggestions?

Oakland - don't let the bad rep fool you, Oakland rocks, and it's a 15 minute drive to SF in the evenings for fun stuff. The rent is cheaper, and the people are more down to earth. And there is actually a little riding in the city hills, and LOTS of riding close by. Lake Tahoe is a skip up the hill in 4 hours for snow stuff.

And the Mexican food in the bay area owns.

L.A.? don't go there. It's evil.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
jdcamb said:
If you really are a whore for the cash, then consider what you'll take home after living expenses. Both Portland and Nashville are WAY less expensive than any of the other non-texan cities you mentioned. Portland has good public transit, is well planned, and has great riding to boot. Does the money you'll make in the bigger cities outweigh their suffocating costs of living? How about their suffocating air quality? I can't even imagine moving back to LA after living in the PNW.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
maxyedor said:
How can you say L.A. is pricey and not New York?
Shoot, how can you say that L.A. is expensive and not the Bay Area?

Personally I would head to the northwest. But I love the rain.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
PORTLAND

(I'm biased as I'm from there, but it most certainly rocks.)

What do you do?

You live in Rochester now for chrissake, why the dilemma? (I hear it's nice, but really...). Be aware, the home prices are out of control in Portland. Are you sure you would be making less money when you consider the costs of living in the places you mentioned?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
maxyedor said:
How can you say L.A. is pricey and not New York?
I would make twice as much money in NY.

splat said:
Jim , what is forcing you to move ?
I need to live in a major media market. And I am sick of the constant travel....

H8R said:
I've been to all of those places, many times.

Oakland - don't let the bad rep fool you, Oakland rocks, and it's a 15 minute drive to SF in the evenings for fun stuff. The rent is cheaper, and the people are more down to earth. And there is actually a little riding in the city hills, and LOTS of riding close by. Lake Tahoe is a skip up the hill in 4 hours for snow stuff.

And the Mexican food in the bay area owns.

L.A.? don't go there. It's evil.
I have friends there and they are all planning to get out of dodge. That and 15/16 hour days leaves me with very little fun time. Same problem I have with Atlanta.

I like Nashville a lot. it is a very cool town. Small and sane. However the food sucks there. Portland is a 2 year gig and then I will have to start over or get another job.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
I have friends there and they are all planning to get out of dodge. That and 15/16 hour days leaves me with very little fun time. Same problem I have with Atlanta. .
BTW - I left Oakland. It rocks if you have no kids, I forgot that part.

:)

What do you do anyway?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
H8R said:
BTW - I left Oakland. It rocks if you have no kids, I forgot that part.

:)

What do you do anyway?
Digital Video-Audio Technologist or DVAT Integrator. I convert broadcast/newstrap studios to comply with the new HDTV standards. I am really good at putting zip ties on one handed basically.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
justsomeguy said:
Yes, stay away from Oakland or any of the SF burbs.

They're all the same after all, simply horrible.
You've never been to Oakland I take it, they're not all the same.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
Digital Video-Audio Technologist or DVAT Integrator. I convert broadcast/newstrap studios to comply with the new HDTV standards. I am really good at putting zip ties on one handed basically.
Ahh...Ok.

New York or L.A. then. You have a mill-town career.

:D

J

JRB

Pick Dallas. I need new friends. :D

I would go to OR, but that's just me. Too many people in CA. Nice to visit, but too many to live.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
H8R said:
sarcasm

Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous or ironic manner and is expressed through vocal intonations such as over-emphasizing the actual statement or particular words.

I've been to Oakland. It ranges from gang banger crack houses to glorious mansions in the hills.

Regardless, Oakland isn't the same as all of the SF burbs, hence my reply.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
OGRipper said:
The last time I ate at Oliveto in Rockridge I was thinking "Damn, this feels just like Martinez!!" :rolleyes:
Yeah.

Sitting on the couch at the Parkway theatre, eating a pizza and drinking a beer, I thought to myself, "Wow, this is just like the theatres in those strip malls in Fremont!"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
spincrazy said:
PORTLAND

(I'm biased as I'm from there, but it most certainly rocks.)

What do you do?

You live in Rochester now for chrissake, why the dilemma? (I hear it's nice, but really...). Be aware, the home prices are out of control in Portland. Are you sure you would be making less money when you consider the costs of living in the places you mentioned?
I vote for Portland too. I was just there, and I would prefer to live there over SF.

You might make less money, but the cost of living is cheaper, 35% cheaper than SF. I think it is more easier going and more fun resultantly.

But I would not move there without a job. I heard during the mini depression, Portland had the highest rate of unemployment for any city.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
justsomeguy said:
sarcasm

Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous or ironic manner and is expressed through vocal intonations such as over-emphasizing the actual statement or particular words.

I've been to Oakland. It ranges from gang banger crack houses to glorious mansions in the hills.

Obvious:

Adjective

* S: (adj) obvious (easily perceived by the senses or grasped by the mind) "obvious errors"

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
narlus said:
if by roughly 5 hrs you mean 'close'...you gotta drive across indiana and pretty much all of ohio.

boston is great, portland is great.
:stupid:

Chicago is a great city but the riding SUCKS and getting away to someplace cool involves an airplane.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
H8R said:
Obvious:

Adjective

* S: (adj) obvious (easily perceived by the senses or grasped by the mind) "obvious errors"
Whoosh.

The sound that my first post made after it flew over your head.

Confusion.

The state that prompted you to type these words:

Uninformed.

San Francisco - Sounds cool if I can find a place in the city, if not the burbs and Oakland sound like a cluster F.

It's ok. Really it is.

Berkeley has better Thai than Oakland anyway.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
dan-o said:
Chicago is a great city but the riding SUCKS and getting away to someplace cool involves an airplane.
I was trapped in Chicago for a good portion of my life and I wouldn't wish living there upon anyone.

Fun to visit (briefly) but don't put down roots.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
justsomeguy said:
sarcasm

To me Oakland is like where I am from. Buffalo NY. Except Californiaized. The burbs are much different and I am not wealthy. So they aren't an option. That is why I seperated them. Plus most of our clients are in SF, then Sacremento, and then San Jose respectively. I would basically be relegated to doing service work (less $$). I like construction and and installs for the most part. Not much of that going on in SF other then that. The one cool thing is Reno and Las Vegas would fall in my territory. Plus no Unions would be a plus.

J

JRB

justsomeguy said:
I was trapped in Chicago for a good portion of my life and I wouldn't wish living there upon anyone.

Fun to visit (briefly) but don't put down roots.
:teacher: :think:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
justsomeguy said:
Whoosh.

The sound that my first post made after it flew over your head.

Confusion.

The state that prompted you to type these words:

Snide, ever more annoying voice, possibly in a bad faked English accent, and not getting the point across through type....

What I was thinking when I typed that.

We are trying to out sarcastic each other. My comments were aimed at the original generalizations, not at what you posted. I got it from the get go.

Anyway, Oakland sucks more than Loco.

The Asian strip mall in Albany has way better Thai than Berkeley. (at least it did, those restaurants in there move all the time...)

:blah: