Quantcast

I have to say I agree with Gene Hamilton

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
I am not bashing coaching in any way. I think it can help many people. After reading my posts maybe it sounded that way? My point was a natural ability will be needed as well to become a top contender. I think riding with faster riders, coaching, and fitness will pay back in positive ways overall. But just from the start there are those who are gifted at what they do and they will have an "easier" time of it compared to those that are not gifted in that same way. Does that make sense?
What is this natural talent you speak of?

There are two big myths in the cycling community that hold back many riders. The myth of the "natural athlete" and the myth of the "magic pill" have played a huge role in depressing riders confidence for years.

I will start with the "natural athlete". Many people seem to think that the best people in sports are gifted or born with natural talent and that simply isn't the case. While we all probably know someone who seems to do well in any sport that they try (which sure can be frustrating) these "natural athletes" are rare and sadly they rarely reach their potential. Reaching your potential requires work (which if done right can be fun) just ask Micheal Jordan. If anyone ever looked like a natural athlete it was MJ, wow, the man could fly. Micheal Jordan was far from a natural athlete though, did you know he got cut from his team his freshman and sophomore years? That's right, Micheal Jordan wasn't as good as 10 other kids his age in his town yet we don't know the name of any of those kids who were "better" than him do we. Why is Jordan's name etched into our brains? Because he worked hard at the fundamentals of basketball and worked hard in the gym and MJ reached is potential. Tennis great Chris Evert says "I was neither the fastest or the strongest in the game at the time" yet she was ranked #1 in the World! Golf great Tom Kite is legally blind without his glasses, describes himself as an average putter who drives the ball short yet he won the US Open at 42! Anyone who has ever met me was probably under whelmed at first, I walk funny, have asthma and two massively separated shoulders. Heck I never came close to passing the "Presidential Fitness Test" as a kid. Yet despite not being a "natural athlete" I have done okay for myself in snowboarding and mountain biking. If I had had Micheal Jordon's work ethic and more importantly his belief system I would of gone even further in both sports. It was my belief in the "natural athlete" being better than me that kept me from giving a 100% in my training. Yes, even if I had given a 100% I would never be able to beat someone with Ned Overend's lung capacity in a cross country race but it would of been fun to see how close I could of come. Luckily skills don't take big lungs. So stop labeling yourself, be the best that you be everyday and you will astound yourself.

The "magic pill" or "pros secret" does not exist. So many people think that if they just knew that "one thing" that Steve Peat, JHK, Sam Hill. Ryan Trebon, or whoever their hero his knew they could ride as well as them. Well I hate to break your heart but there is no magic pill or secret skill, the way to the top is the basics. Mountain biking, like most sports, martial arts, ski racing, motocross, auto racing, gymnastics, etc. requires mastery and maintenance of the basics to do well. Unfortunately, just like in martial arts and ski racing these basics are not intuitive so first you must learn the basics. Learning them is easy with the right teacher, mastering them requires work (even with the best teacher). The Magic Pill? Knowledge and mastery of the basic core skills.

A little Zen: Try to look at life with a "Beginner's Mind", with a beginners mindset you are open to all possibilities, with an "expert" mindset your choices are very limited. Think how many "experts" have been wrong, experts once thought the world was flat, and that no one can run a mile in less than four minutes. Having a beginners mindset really helps you put your ego aside, learn and enjoy life more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are two big myths in the cycling community that hold back many riders. The myth of the "natural athlete" and the myth of the "magic pill" have played a huge role in depressing riders confidence for years.
haven't you been watching tv? There's tons of magic pills out there!!!!

But I still don't see how having a raging boner will help you win a downhill race, especially if you're wearing a skin suit :confused:

What is this natural talent you speak of?
Exactly!
The Idea of natural talent is a big misconception we have created.
"Gifted athletes" appear so, because they have been able to quickly learn at least some of the core skills required to be competent at the activity, (and they probably have this ability because they did something well when they were young someone called them a natural, and it stuck with them boosting there confidence from then on). Always there is still more for them to learn, and often these athletes are the ones that end up bailing when they end up having to put in actual work to get better.
They can get used to success and fear failure. They'd rather not even try then to look bad making a go at it. Its the safe easy way out, with no risk of damaging their image and ego.

The athlete that has the best chance of not only stardom but a career full of enjoyment and fun, is the athlete that from early in there career accepts the reality that they need to put in the effort to improve, accepts the important of the basics, has the confidence to push forward and isn't afraid to try and fail as many times as it takes until they accomplish what they've set out to do, a WC level career isn't for every one, but not because they're incapable of it.

I also think that a lot of opposition to coaching comes from people that don't want to be involved in a sport where they feel they have to be this serious. They like biking because to them it has the "Bro" feel and they just want to go out and ride a little hang with there buddies. Which is totally cool, as long as your having fun thats great. If biking is your escape from the serious world and you don't want to think about it in such a structured way then don't. Thats what why races have different classes, and why you don't have to race to ride a bike. Even for these people though, knowledge of the basic skills doesn't mean racing is now a job, it can just make things more enjoyable.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Natural talent= BARRY SANDERS, Ludwig van Beethoven, Eddy Merckx(THE ANIMAL), Ned Overend (running the mile in 8th grade at OBSCENE times). Some examples......

Here this is alot of bike time and TALENT of the Natural Variety!

Last edited:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Natural talent is just the ability to learn skills very easily. We are born a clean slate we do not come out of the womb with labels saying what we will be good at and what we won't. Some people can get decent results with no coaching, they are coaching themselves. If you truly want to reach your full potential coaching is about the only way it will happen. This is true in any developed sport. Coaches are essential for success. Downhill racing is very young, the times of being on the top with no coaching is gone. Americans have dropped out of the top of the World Cup ranking due to this attitude of I am naturally talented and do not need a coach. In the meantime countries and riders who are getting coaching are leaving us in the dust.

ekozy39 said:
Ask any ski, tennis, swim coach and they will all tell you the same thing about talented athletes. They have IT, and the coach simply refines that to give them the extra 10% to make them world class.
Funny you mention that since I have a top former US Ski team coach that stays at my place about 4 nights a week for the better part of the year. I also assisted in a 3 week camp with him this spring. When you mention an athlete having "IT" coaches are referring to much more than talent. They are talking about having the work ethic to do core skill drills over and over, and having the mindset of wanting it more than the other guy. If a skier has not mastered the core skills by 15-16 the US Ski Team has no interest in them.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
When you mention an athlete having "IT" coaches are referring to much more than talent. They are talking about having the work ethic to do core skill drills over and over, and having the mindset of wanting it more than the other guy. If a skier has not mastered the core skills by 15-16 the US Ski Team has no interest in them.
I agree, I believe talent is simply having the right thoughts running through your head.

Here's a few quotes to help spot people without talent.

"I should of ran 35.7psi instead of 35.8psi"

"My new years resolution is jump the first double on (insert any jump or drop here)... "

"I ate too much Taco Bell"

"My rebound is too fast/slow"

"Can I have some of your water?" (This one sounds innocent but it's not, if someone is asking for your water, he has absolutely no talent and you shouldn't give him any.)

And the biggest no talent quote of them all.... "I can only do one run"

Talent can also be identified in the equation (talent = 1/post count) ...looks like I just lost some talent :biggrin:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Just a question, why does every care so much about the fact that American's aren't winning DH races. I hate to say it, but the fact that Riffle, Strait, Strobel, etc. don't break the 10 top at worlds doesn't really affect my riding or racing....Unless I'm missing something big. And I'd imagine 90% of us don't have the time or money for coaching anyways.
Edit: Hasn't riffle been training with Shaums since he was a little kid and still can't win WC's? And he's had every advantage, killer trails, parental support, etc.

Last edited: