Quantcast

I heart Ted Nugent...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My turn:

While I can't argue against repeat offenders, who are the worst scum, no gun control is a ridiculous argument.

If guns could be purchased like liquor or cigarettes, you know what would happen next. I'm actually for CCW permits since it allows the government to regulate and certify who can carry a gun. Permit holders rarely commit crimes.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Permit holders rarely commit crimes.
exactly. and those who can't legally possess gun are the ones committing the gun-related crimes therefore making gun registration a moot point. the gubment is somehow supposed to keep guns away from the bad guys? :rofl: trust me, i deal with it everday [trying to keep illegal guns/owners off the streets] and it's just a revolving door and nothing works. so what is the point of making it more difficult for honest citizens to defend themselves when the offenders don't have a process to go through?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
exactly. and those who can't legally possess gun are the ones committing the gun-related crimes therefore making gun registration a moot point. the gubment is somehow supposed to keep guns away from the bad guys? :rofl: trust me, i deal with it everday [trying to keep illegal guns/owners off the streets] and it's just a revolving door and nothing works. so what is the point of making it more difficult for honest citizens to defend themselves when the offenders don't have a process to go through?
I disagree about controlling guns. I do think there can be effective laws to minimize illegal gun use, like when Virginia changed the law allowing only one handgun sale per month (except for CCW permit holders). After that was enacted, the murder rate in NYC started declining, from over 2000 murders to almost a thousand in 4 years.

But there are 2nd Amendment limits to this, some of them are a pain in the ass. For example, California now requires a thumbprint for handgun ammo.

Last edited:

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I disagree about controlling guns. I do think there can be effective laws to minimize illegal gun use, like when Virginia changed the law allowing only one handgun sale per month (except for CCW permit holders). After that was enacted, the murder rate in NYC started declining, from over 2000 murders to almost a thousand in 4 years.

But there are 2nd Amendment limits to this, some of them are a pain in the ass. For example, California now requires a thumbprint for handgun ammo.
How did a gun law in Virginia lower the murder rate in NYC? I dont follow.

Long Live the NUGE!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Make the process of registering and owning a gun for lawful citizens relatively pain free. Make the penalty for owning and using an unregistered firearm or using one to commit a crime very, very, VERY steep.

Make sense?

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
But when people go out and commit crimes they don't expect to be caught so they don't consider the consequences and as such the fact that there are harsher penalties are not an effective deterrent.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Make the process of registering and owning a gun for lawful citizens relatively pain free. Make the penalty for owning and using an unregistered firearm or using one to commit a crime very, very, VERY steep.

Make sense?
There in lies my confusion with the gun folk. I have no issue with people wanting to own guns....I guess. I still think they're weirdos....but whatever. What I don't get is why are they so opposed to licensing and registration and basic accountability? They are dangerous things (in the wrong hands). Therefore they should be "controlled"....like vehicle licensing, or prescription drugs....or a building permit.

I don't understand why people think that a machine that is purpose-built to kill/harm/destroy stuff, should be as freely available, and as untraceable as a Snickers bar.....