Quantcast

I installed my first amp...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
wow....since moving into my house last month i've cut up a fallen tree, installed a ceiling fan, painted over wood paneling and now......i have successfully installed an amp in my car.

my old setup in the suby was pretty weak and only had high range sound. so i went to a local pawn shop and got a basic cd deck (with aux input for my mp3), 200w amp and install kit. all for a whopping $50 :thumb:

i already had some 8" subs in a box but now they sound MUCH better. i actually have some bass now. not bad for $50; i'm not looking to win a bass comp or anything, just tired of my ears ringing from the treble :mumble:

so anyway, i feel uber manly now that i can say i've installed my own system :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I trust this is installed in a car that is sufficiently old an crappy enough to ensure that every door panel and latch on the car vibrates and rattles in time to the beat?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
dante said:
:eek: shouldn't you have some qualms about buying (possibly) stolen property??

:clue:
Nope, all of the stuff i bought, minus the install kit, has been on the shelf for over a year. not EVERYTHING at a pawn shop is stolen.

BV - suprisingly, my suby is still holding the sound in pretty well. but i don't even have enough base to make it rattle anyway, the hatchback area of the wagon makes for a big, well contained speaker area that keeps the "trunk rattle" to a minimum.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
manimal said:
Nope, all of the stuff i bought, minus the install kit, has been on the shelf for over a year. not EVERYTHING at a pawn shop is stolen.

True, meth-heads typically sell everything they own before they start stealing.:rofl:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
so you have a big box in the back with subs that take up room in the "trunk" area?

cause I have an older suby but I need all the space I have. I also need some decent tunes.... currently I'm using some old computer speakers and a portable CD player hooked up through the cig. lighter..
when I get on the freeway I have to roll the windows up if I want to hear the music....:(

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
pnj said:
so you have a big box in the back with subs that take up room in the "trunk" area?

cause I have an older suby but I need all the space I have. I also need some decent tunes.... currently I'm using some old computer speakers and a portable CD player hooked up through the cig. lighter..
when I get on the freeway I have to roll the windows up if I want to hear the music....:(
:rofl: :rofl:

Manimal, congrats on doing a wiring job that a 7 year old could pull off! :D

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Pawn shops are great! Everything that goes through our local pawn shops is verified through the local PD. I recently bought a like new plasma cutter for about $600.00 less than a new one.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
don't worry guys, i followed the instructions w/ the kit to the "T". big gauge wire and fuse about 4" away from the battery. i actually pulled the front quarter-panel off the car to run the power wire (wrapped in one of those coil thingy's), alongside the other wires and around the firewall.

i'm not a COMPLETE hack, just my first attempt at anything more in-depth than a basic stereo install.

bigmike- i actually think a 7yr old could have done it easier....my sausage-fingered hands could barely fit in some of those spots.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Potroast88 said:
Pawn shops are great! Everything that goes through our local pawn shops is verified through the local PD. I recently bought a like new plasma cutter for about $600.00 less than a new one.

werd. i can view a daily list of what was pawned the day before at any pawn shop in the city. it's an easy way to clear cases because you have to have a valid ID to pawn anything here.