Quantcast

I joined my first MTB race team

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
So I decided to solicit for sponsors for next race season. I shopped around a little. Submitted a few applications on Sponsorhouse. I got a few bites. But then, I had a breakthrough and thought that it would be awesome to have the camaraderie of a local team. There isn't much DH out here, but still being part of a supportive team would be cool. So I contacted a shop in South Austin, New Revolution Bikes, and they were apparently pretty pumped to have a gravity racer on their team (I am the only one, even though they have a pretty big team). They offered me all sorts of pro discounts. Mostly on Kona Bikes (does anyone know about the Stab? How is if for a DH race bike?). Anyways, I am pumped and thought I'd share the news.

There is the 1st annual team xmas party on Sat night, so I am looking forward to meeting the other members. should be fun.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Hey Mohshee, you did it! Posted a thread I mean ... I might follow your lead...

And it's awesome that you were industrious in getting on a team. I'm impressed. Let us know your impressions of the team and the environment as you progress.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
That's AWESOME!!! I am actually putting my resume together to send out to hopefully get some sponsorships for next season (primarily 24 hour XC Racing and perhaps a DH series or something).

Kona's are nice bikes...Mtbkngrl used to ride one for DH.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I think Kona's are great - so many people I know have them. However, when I first went to Whistler, I rented a Stab and I did not like it at all. I didn't know any different but it's a heavy beast. I enjoy my Yakuza Kumicho R a whole lot more. And also the Norco Shore that I rented up there. Just more maneuverable. I guess maybe it depends on what kind of terrain you're racing on whether you'd like a Stab or not.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I think Kona's are great - so many people I know have them. However, when I first went to Whistler, I rented a Stab and I did not like it at all. I didn't know any different but it's a heavy beast. I enjoy my Yakuza Kumicho R a whole lot more. And also the Norco Shore that I rented up there. Just more maneuverable. I guess maybe it depends on what kind of terrain you're racing on whether you'd like a Stab or not.
Yeah, I'm not sure the Stab (or in this case Stab primo) will actually be the best bike for her or not. Kona's are well made bikes and can take some serious punishment but most of their bikes are definitely more suited to freeriding than DH racing. Although the new Stab Primo geometry is very similar to Morewood's DH bike (another one that mohshee was considering) so maybe they are trying to be a bigger player in the race scene. We're going ot a christmas party at the shop tonight and they say they'll have all the 07 Konas on hand for people to chekc out so we're hoping that includes a Stab.
I'm still of the mindset that a lighter/shorter travel bike (something like the Marin Quake that I ride/race) would be an ideal race bike for her but with the deal we can get on the Kona it's hard to pass up.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
So the Xmas party was a lot of fun. The team is really cool and super mellow and friendly. The deal they are willing to give me on the Kona Stab Supreme is really tempting...sigh. I would really like to sit on one though and see how it handles.

I'm really looking forward to racing for them. I guess Angel Fire will be the first opportunity I'll have.

Unless...they are thinking of holding a local "4x" race series on BMX tracks in the area (hey -- it's about as good as it gets around here). We have a 4x track that is actually pretty decent, but it has gone into disrepair and I've heard gossip that the owners are going to stop mountain biking on their land altogether. (They are more into Frisbee golf, which shares the land with the mtb'ers). Anyways, a little local series would be lots of fun. And the BMX tracks around here are kept up nicely.