Quantcast

I just bought a Ferrari.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
4 hours is typical rise time. Maybe I should experiment with overnight, see if I get a lighter more airy crust.
oh dude! what are you doing! that was the biggest difference in my crust when i started doing a 24 hour rise time. i make it the night before, cover it, and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Have you transported it trail side to accommodate a pie for a weary traveler? Eastern PA. He may want to get Pork Roll and eggs. Eastern PA and New Jersey have some awesome Diners. If they have Corned Beef Hash and Eggs. Get That. Turkey and Bacon Clubs also.... Fries with Gravy... Pick him up. Take him to the Laundromat and feed him....
Getting hiker hunger just from reading this delicious post.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Sugar and salt have opposite effect on yeast rising, so try adding a bit more sugar -- or if your yeast is of questionable vintage more yeast...

Similarly yeast like moist warm environments -- don't we all ;) -- so if your house is chilly then the yeast may not be as active during the proof.

Overnight rise (which I do on my sourdough loaves but not typically pizza dough) adds a bunch more flavor and 'texture" to the dough, but wouldn't necessarily change yeast activity by itself unless it was chilly and the yeast just needed more time to eat those sweet sweet carbs...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sugar and salt have opposite effect on yeast rising, so try adding a bit more sugar -- or if your yeast is of questionable vintage more yeast...

Similarly yeast like moist warm environments -- don't we all ;) -- so if your house is chilly then the yeast may not be as active during the proof.

Overnight rise (which I do on my sourdough loaves but not typically pizza dough) adds a bunch more flavor and 'texture" to the dough, but wouldn't necessarily change yeast activity by itself unless it was chilly and the yeast just needed more time to eat those sweet sweet carbs...
i find overnight proofing gives the dough a much better texture that stretches out better and is much less prone to tearing

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
i find overnight proofing gives the dough a much better texture that stretches out better and is much less prone to tearing
Yeah, supposedly it "relaxes" the glutens...

You can 'cheat' a bit on time if you simply hydrate your flour (and don't kneed it right away, ie. wait 2 hours before kneeding) the glutens relax, stretch and line up easier as well.

Your lower than expected yeast activity could also be due to oven temps -- the hotter the better

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Okay pizza nerds, what's your methodology for getting the pizza from your cutting board/assembly area and into the oven? I've struggled with this part for way too long, always end up with mushed/mishapen pizza and it never goes smoothly.

I've basically just switched to cast-iron skillet pizza, which is good, but not always what I'm looking for.

Okay pizza nerds, what's your methodology for getting the pizza from your cutting board/assembly area and into the oven? I've struggled with this part for way too long, always end up with mushed/mishapen pizza and it never goes smoothly.

I've basically just switched to cast-iron skillet pizza, which is good, but not always what I'm looking for.
Slip it on in.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005

I use a peel / flat cookie sheet to transfer to stone.

But the key is to put a thin layer of corn meal down UNDER the flour dough before you get to the toppings.

corn is more hydrophobic than flour so it won't absorb the moisture. It acts like little ball bearings.

Try to keep your peel free of spillage when dressing the pie...

I make sure the finished (raw) product slides on the peel before putting it in the oven, if not I take two spatulas to lift 1/2 the pie at a time and add more cornmeal...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i have a wood pizza peel. i lightly flower it before placing the dough, then put all toppings on once its on the peel. but its absolutely critical that you stretch the dough to size before putting it on the peel. i give it a little shimmy to make sure its "loose" before i pick it up to place it on the stone in the oven.

and to ensure the pizza comes off the stone easily i put a little corn meal on the stone immediately before sliding the pizza on.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i have a wood pizza peel. i lightly flower it before placing the dough, then put all toppings on once its on the peel. but its absolutely critical that you stretch the dough to size before putting it on the peel. i give it a little shimmy to make sure its "loose" before i pick it up to place it on the stone in the oven.

and to ensure the pizza comes off the stone easily i put a little corn meal on the stone immediately before sliding the pizza on.
This. Practice with a dish towel. Turn the peel as you pull it away.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I use a peel / flat cookie sheet to transfer to stone.

But the key is to put a thin layer of corn meal down UNDER the flour dough before you get to the toppings.

corn is more hydrophobic than flour so it won't absorb the moisture. It acts like little ball bearings.

Try to keep your peel free of spillage when dressing the pie...

I make sure the finished (raw) product slides on the peel before putting it in the oven, if not I take two spatulas to lift 1/2 the pie at a time and add more cornmeal...
I've tried corn meal, I've tried flour, but never at the same time. Maybe just not using enough of either?

Wrecked an entire pizza the other night when I thought it was loose, but it turned out it was only the half toward the handle of the peel, went to slide it in, gave it a jiggle, whole thing folded in half and rolled onto the stone, topping side down.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've tried corn meal, I've tried flour, but never at the same time. Maybe just not using enough of either?
whatever you use, you need to stretch the dough out before you place it on whatever you're gonna use to transfer to the oven. otherwise the pressure from kneading/stretching it will make it stick.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Pizza screens are usually sufficient for home use if one does not have a pizza stone or the patience to pre heat one. You can build your pie directly on it and just put the whole thing in the oven.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's been well over thirty minutes, where the fuck is my pizza ?

You guys suck.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
whatever you use, you need to stretch the dough out before you place it on whatever you're gonna use to transfer to the oven. otherwise the pressure from kneading/stretching it will make it stick.
That may also be part of my problem, I roll/toss it to size before it gets placed on the peel, but it always stretches a bit in the transfer from board to peel, there's always a bit of retraction once it's on the peel. Could be the dough, I usually just use Trader Joes dough balls, one day when I don't have a million other things going on I need to get back into baking bread and start making my own dough.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I do not toss my dough I use a roller. I am just not good at it. A yeasty smell after a long rest means the yeast is still to active. Punch it down and let it rest. If your dough sticks to the side of the bowl. After it has rested through it away unless you plan on making Crackers.Yet if the dough doesn't spring back after a small pinch or gets a leathery top on it. its done. I feel like Syadasti here. Surely there is a video about Pizza Dough? I have made a lot of Pizzas and it is a pretty simple thing. Based on the pics here. Listen to JohnKranked. Whatever he says go with it.

Perfect crust on this bad boy. See the little striations on his crust. You can't teach that. You can't have perfect crust without perfect dough....

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My first non bike shop job was at a pizza joint that made dough and hand tossed. We also had legit ovens, I got spoiled. They had a 3' "party" pizza that was a bitch to toss. There was also a power roller that got you started.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
so like 2 1.4 tsp says google. yea your ratio sounds off. i used about 1 1/2 tsp yeast to 3 cups flour. although i knead in a little more just before baking. i only use a teaspoon of sugar, so maybe drop it down to 2 tsp.
Do you use a mixer or kneed it by hand on a tabletop?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
My first non bike shop job was at a pizza joint that made dough and hand tossed. We also had legit ovens, I got spoiled. They had a 3' "party" pizza that was a bitch to toss. There was also a power roller that got you started.
One place I worked had the conveyer belt oven, screens and a power roller. The Italian joint had real (Blodgett) ovens and we hand tossed the dough.

People use to ooh and ahh over the Alfredo sauce. It was frozen Stouffer's reheated in the pizza ovens.