Quantcast

i just found out i'm part Jewish!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Skookum said:
Not really i just wanted to get a rise out of Lord Opie....:wave:

That's interesting.:) My cousin has just about finished with gathering the genealogy proof to show that we're a quarter Cherokee, so we can register with the tribe. I met my second cousins, who still live on the rez once, but really never had much of a desire to be affiliated with the tribe. Having a daughter has given me a little more interest, so I can show her her heritage.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Reactor said:
That's interesting.:) My cousin has just about finished with gathering the genealogy proof to show that we're a quarter Cherokee, so we can register with the tribe. I met my second cousins, who still live on the rez once, but really never had much of a desire to be affiliated with the tribe. Having a daughter has given me a little more interest, so I can show her her heritage.
My great grandmother was half Cherokee.
I don't think I got any of that blood though.
Blond hair, green eyes and lilly honkey white.
I'm not exactly mistaken for Tonto.
Although, I can dominate a room in Indian Leg Wrestling.:)

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
That makes me 1/8th. There is no blood quantum level requirement to be listed with the tribe. What is required is to find out the role number that was assigned to your indian ancestor. To the unknowing eye I don't look indian either because I am blond with blue eyes but my body build is very much indian like and I have very high cheekbones.

I've have thought of getting registered with the tribe too. I have just not had enough time to source all the records and get the paperwork together.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Jeez, do I feel bad now. I had no ide there were so many Native American's here. My family is largely responsible for stealing all your guys land.

Sorry about that.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
lonewolfe said:
That makes me 1/8th. There is no blood quantum level requirement to be listed with the tribe. What is required is to find out the role number that was assigned to your indian ancestor. To the unknowing eye I don't look indian either because I am blond with blue eyes but my body build is very much indian like and I have very high cheekbones.

I've have thought of getting registered with the tribe too. I have just not had enough time to source all the records and get the paperwork together.

Just found out I'm Choctaw not Cherokee. My great great grandfather is Samuel Quniton, #8770 on the final Dawes rolls for the Choctaw. My grandfather was listed as baby Quinton. The amount is not certain, because some of my ancestors claimed they were 1/8 Choctaw, so they could live off the reservation, when they were half or more.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Reactor said:
Just found out I'm Choctaw not Cherokee. My great great grandfather is Samuel Quniton, #8770 on the final Dawes rolls for the Choctaw. My grandfather was listed as baby Quinton. The amount is not certain, because some of my ancestors claimed they were 1/8 Choctaw, so they could live off the reservation, when they were half or more.
You can get a percentage from the tribe itself, they should have him on the rolls. If your grandfather was half then you're not going to have enough blood quantam to claim.
If you don't have a quarter or more, or have immediate Indian family then you really shouldn't claim. Definately not saying you can't be proud of your heritage and family history, but it gets silly for instance when you have 1/128ths and you claim. If you don't know how to say "bear crap" in your native tongue then you're just pretending.:)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hmmm, you'll need a metaphorical Jewish name now. How about "Good with Money," "Hounded by Mother," or "Drives Mercedes?"

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Skookum said:
You can get a percentage from the tribe itself, they should have him on the rolls. If your grandfather was half then you're not going to have enough blood quantam to claim.
If you don't have a quarter or more, or have immediate Indian family then you really shouldn't claim. Definately not saying you can't be proud of your heritage and family history, but it gets silly for instance when you have 1/128ths and you claim. If you don't know how to say "bear crap" in your native tongue then you're just pretending.:)
I found my great grandmother Elizabeth Quinton, 8784

My grandfather appears to have been about 3/4 or so. Although the Choctaw don't appear to have any minimum blood quanta level, and since both my great grandparents were raised on the Rez', and appear on the dawes roles they appear to both be considered full members, making my grandfather "full" blooded. Which would make me, 1/4th. With all the out breeding to the settlers, I don't think there are very many 100% full blooded native americans in the U.S.

I'll probably get the CDIB and register with the tribe, although I'm NOT looking for any financial gain. I don't usually claim my vetaren preference points when applying for jobs, so I'm not going to claim this either. I'm doing it more as historical and genealogical exercise. My mother is now my oldest living relative and I'm trying to find out as much as possible about my family tree. I've met my second cousins, who still live on the Rez and are full blooded Choctaw, and the last thing they need is someone trying to make money off a old allocation. The cousins were fun to play, we were all about the same age.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Reactor said:
I don't think there are very many 100% full blooded native americans in the U.S.
On the East Coast probably not. The white settler didn't make it to this part of the world until the late 1800's however. My ex-girlfriend is full blood but you can only claim one tribe so in our tribe her quantam is 50%.

Reactor said:
I'll probably get the CDIB and register with the tribe, although I'm NOT looking for any financial gain....
Doesn't matter what your motivation is, if you have the blood then you are Indian. Get yourself on the rolls and get your ass to a pow-wow.:)

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Skookum said:
On the East Coast probably not. The white settler didn't make it to this part of the world until the late 1800's however. My ex-girlfriend is full blood but you can only claim one tribe so in our tribe her quantam is 50%.

Doesn't matter what your motivation is, if you have the blood then you are Indian. Get yourself on the rolls and get your ass to a pow-wow.:)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to register, I want my daughter to know about all of her ancesters, even the ones that glossed over in U.S. history class. I guess I have to Oklahoma (eek!) and visit Quinton and the Reservation.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Reactor said:
If I had any..:banghead:..You can't get decent destructive fireworks in Arizona. Assault rifles on the other hand are all over the place.
ah yes, the hypocracy of this wonderful country we live in. you cant blow your hand off with an m80 but you can pump your next door neighbors full of lead with an m16.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
kidwoo said:
The "woo" is a biological excretion sensation that's sweeping the nation.

Glad to have you on board.
I assume the 'woo' is pronounced Little Richard style?

If he has passed the stone, does this mean Skookum is no longer Wooish?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
I assume the 'woo' is pronounced Little Richard style?
More like woo in a screaming 80's hair band fashion, birthing those little suckers are painful. And sorry but since i'm short on cash, i sold Kidwoo jr. on the corner last night. i was taking it on a stroll and a Meth-head said he'd give me 20 bucks for him.