The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
With great news about the new G-Boxx-2 Nicolai's

here is the whole thing
Hi ricardo

sorry for the late reply. We had many bicycle trade show the
last weeks. But ....:

thanks 100 times for the compliments .... this keeps me motivated.

and here are the g-boxx news ....some of them you already know:,
and some of them are brand new:

This current G-BOXX-1 version is working with a modified
14 speed rohloff internal and for this reason the
price is very very high compared to the
nexus or any deraileur systems. This G-BOXX-1 is manufactured
in small quantities only.
But anyway the G-BOXX-1 is a great product and we
have already 3 different manufacturers building bikes
for their 2006 Worldcup racing. The G-BOXX-1
system is welded to the frame and it is not working with the new
standard interface G-CON.

But nevertheless we are working very hard these days in order to
get a new G-BOXX-2 design done in order to lower the weight and
the OE price very much. I cannot promise a date , but next summer
seems realistic for prototypes . G-BOXX-2 will not be welded to the
frame but be connected according to the new G-CON conection interface
standard. All measurements reg. the G-CON standard will be online on
www.g-boxx.org november 2005.

best reg

Karl Nicolai

Karlheinz Nicolai
Nicolai GMBH
Külftalstr. 18
31093 Lübbrechtsen
Germany

www.nicolai.net
www.g-boxx.org
www.whyex.com

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
And so sounds the death knell of the derailer.

A standard for an internal gearing interface will mean that every company, and their pet monkey, will have a frame going. Hopefully, with multiple suppliers offering gearboxes instead of derailers...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
zahgurim said:

A standard for an internal gearing interface will mean that every company, and their pet monkey, will have a frame going. Hopefully, with multiple suppliers offering gearboxes instead of derailers...
Death knell? hardly.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zahgurim said:

Oh drama...a little early don't you think? Alternatives have been in the works for years, but it's still gonna be a while.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
OGRipper said:
Oh drama...a little early don't you think? Alternatives have been in the works for years, but it's still gonna be a while.
well maybe that is Why Nicolai is at the forefront of this development, if they were like Trek (just remenber all early 9000/9500 and the Y-Bikes A.K.A.WHY bikes) making a million bikes that were not ready or at least did not really perform as advertice.

Guys like Nicolai make the best product they can with the technology available at that very moment, (even if the suspension design is kind of questionable and somehow obsolete sometimes (maybe they know something we don't..!?!?)) I'm sure when they are ready for the next step they will release the new generation, not before is proven and test it, My self i respect that since is the honorable and professional thing to do..

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
OGRipper said:
"years" being a gross understatement, at least on a human scale.

and would you idiots please stop using appostrophe-s to denote plurals, not only is it confusing to those who know, but it is just wrong.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
patineto said:
well maybe that is Why Nicolai is at the forefront of this development, if they were like Trek (just remenber all early 9000/9500 and the Y-Bikes A.K.A.WHY bikes) making a million bikes that were not ready or at least did not really perform as advertice.

Guys like Nicolai make the best product they can with the technology available at that very moment, (even if the suspension design is kind of questionable and somehow obsolete sometimes (maybe they know something we don't..!?!?)) I'm sure when they are ready for the next step they will release the new generation, not before is proven and test it, My self i respect that since is the honorable and professional thing to do..
Um, what the...? I was just responding to that other guy's dramatic comment about the "death knell" so I'm not sure what you're talking about. The notion that there are problems with derailleurs is nothing new, but we are still a little ways away from replacing derailleurs on all of our bikes. As for Nicolai, good for them for being at the forefront, but they are no making the internals, only a casing, and as soon as the Hayes gearbox 2 or another standard is released, everyone else will catch up quickly.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
OGRipper said:
Um, what the...? I was just responding to that other guy's dramatic comment about the "death knell" so I'm not sure what you're talking about. The notion that there are problems with derailleurs is nothing new, but we are still a little ways away from replacing derailleurs on all of our bikes.
Sorry I guess i took stuff the wrong way,,,my lack of Ingles is kind of complicated sometimes, I guess I don't get the little Jokes and things,,

anyway i'm glad we are on the same page

As for Nicolai, good for them for being at the forefront, but they are no making the internals, only a casing, and as soon as the Hayes gearbox 2 or another standard is released, everyone else will catch up quickly.
Actually i know a few others things that I'm not soppose to talk about about the gear box sistems that is going to change the way things are currentlly made and hopefully the future of bicycle technology.

Sorry again i miss-understand your comment before

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
CreeP said:
"years" being a gross understatement, at least on a human scale.

and would you idiots please stop using appostrophe-s to denote plurals, not only is it confusing to those who know, but it is just wrong.
This isn't a formal document.