Quantcast

I just got an unsolicted offer for my car.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I got a PM on one of the Subie forums I frequent, from someone asking if I want to sell my car. Stock cars with my mileage and model are going for ~$14k, so I should be able to comfortably walk away with $16k. Given that he solicited me, getting a premium over stock shouldn't be hard.

I can get an 07-09 Outback for around the same price, which is nice because it is a bit larger. Also cheaper gas as non-turbo, and lower insurance. I'm seriously torn on this because I love having a way overpowered station wagon, but if I can get out of my 106k, well flogged Forester for the same price as a 40k Outback... So torn.

This is said Subie: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/790806-post1.html

Thoughts?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
We drove an Outback and I didn't care for it at all. It drove more like an SUV than a car, the suspension felt soft and wallowy, and it was completely gutless. I don't really see you being happy going from what you have to that. This was a '12 though so this may not apply to the previous generation.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We drove an Outback and I didn't care for it at all. It drove more like an SUV than a car, the suspension felt soft and wallowy, and it was completely gutless. I don't really see you being happy going from what you have to that. This was a '12 though so this may not apply to the previous generation.
The new model is heavy, soft, and not anything that I want. I also don't want to have a loan if I don't have to, hence the used 07-09 models.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
If you can truly get $16k for it, then do it. Otherwise keep it and continue to do your 3 AM public freeway powerslides.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Keep what you have and repower/repair as needed.
Buy your wife a tick-hauler.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Keep what you have and repower/repair as needed.
Buy your wife a tick-hauler.
I was thinking if I can wash or near to it for a lower mileage car, that might be a positive. She just got a new Forester XT 2 years ago. She' got that thing until it dies.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I was thinking if I can wash or near to it for a lower mileage car, that might be a positive. She just got a new Forester XT 2 years ago. She' got that thing until it dies.
I hear you but still would hold onto what you have.

A test drive of a 07-09 Outback should occur before you think about trading, imo.
I can't stand the way they drive.

Your car seems dialed and non-turbo drivetrains get run much harder at altitude.
My mom traded her turbo volvo for a v6 XC and it gets flogged in the mtns (she lives in evergreen).
Always spun out and the tranny hates life.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I like your car.

Please consider that heavily when making this decision.
Hahaha. I'm not taking it. Even wih a good offer, I wouldn't be able to get something I would consider comparable. The legacy GT and h6 are all enough that I would have to dig too far into savings.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
If you can truly get $16k for it, then do it. Otherwise keep it and continue to do your 3 AM public freeway powerslides.
^^^^^^^^^
There is a Seattle on ramp joke dying to get out here.
I didn't want to go there.
You guys don't remember stoney's self-edited posts about the glory of four wheel drifting in the wet at 3 AM? That's not the same as crashing along with a bunch of other people on a metal-jointed off-ramp while headed to the frickin' autocross during the daytime.

Anyway, what was the actual offer? $12k? I can't believe $16k…

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You guys don't remember stoney's self-edited posts about the glory of four wheel drifting in the wet at 3 AM? That's not the same as crashing along with a bunch of other people on a metal-jointed off-ramp while headed to the frickin' autocross during the daytime.
We remember. When he starts judging you, the hive mind will remind him.

:p

Last edited:

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
ill trade you my five speed none tubro forester :D its a five speed and the same color.
P.S. ill even leave my shocker sticker and nasico plate surround on it for you.

Last edited: