Quantcast

I just got hit by another car on my bike.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Going to the ER now. I already have a huge knot on my left knee (the one I just finished physical therapy for) and I jammed my pinky, ring finger, and middle finger on my left hand. My ring finger may be broken, crazy swelling and doest feel right behind my knuckle.

New bike came our pretty well, just needs new tape and maybe levers.

I was in the bike lane and this car really wanted to park where I was riding and took me out hard. I messed up the whole passenger side and took the mirror out with my hand.

More to come.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Omg man - I'm all for commuting but sometimes you just have to back off and let the universe have its way. Isn't this the 3rd injury in like 9 months or something?

Anyway, I'm sending healing vibes your way. Good luck at the ER! :thumb:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
holy sh*t total heckler what kind of f'ed up luck do you have ? glad it wasn't to bad of an injury and heal up fast i'm going to be needing a norcal dh tour guide soon .

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
teh jeebus is telling you not to ride your bike to work.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
glad you are doing ok. i hope the guy that hit you goes to jail for 8 years...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks everyone.

Severe contusion / laxity in my left ring finger.

Strain / partial tear of Quadriceps / Patellar ligament.

6-8 weeks knee brace and crutches. 1-2 weeks of buddy tape (not as cool as it sounds) on the fingers.

Damn cars. Now you wont be able to hit me anymore. I am done with road riding. Take that.

Back to driving and spending a bunch of money on gas / car maintenance and losing fitness.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
This is one of two reasons why I have an uneasy trust with bike lanes. Drivers think that they are perfect parking spaces. I've come close many times, the other reason is there are some slobs around here that are too lazy to wait to get to a garbage/recycling bin to dispose of their glass bottle. So instead they just throw the bottles out the window.

Back on Christmas Eve, I nearly got T-boned by some asshat in a white toyota camry who had intent to blow off the stop sign. Was kind of lucky I had an unmarked cruiser coming up behind me.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
WHAT!?!?!?
So sorry to hear.
I don't know how you always get it. I hate to say you should stay off the street with your bike, but...
Heal up soon. Hopefully we will get a lot of rain for the next couple months and you won't feel bad sitting on the couch.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Heh thanks guys.

I did mess up the car pretty good when I got hit. I broke the passenger side mirror off (also cracked the mirror), put a huge dent in the door with my knee, and my pedal put a hole in the passenger side door too.

My bike is pretty good after going over it. Just needs new bar tape and maybe new levers. My clip in shoes got messed up (rashed one of the staps off) and should be replaced as well as my helmet.

I really am done on the road. 3 hits in 14 months is WAY too much. Three strikes is enough. Not the way I wanted to start off my year. That's for damn sure.

Also the cop said at the scene of the accident that the lady who hit me was 100% at fault because I did nothing wrong. I was just riding in the bike lane.

Ugh. I only got one day of riding DH after getting cleared by the doc before this happened.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Heh thanks guys.

I did mess up the car pretty good when I got hit. I broke the passenger side mirror off (also cracked the mirror), put a huge dent in the door with my knee, and my pedal put a hole in the passenger side door too.

My bike is pretty good after going over it. Just needs new bar tape and maybe new levers. My clip in shoes got messed up (rashed one of the staps off) and should be replaced as well as my helmet.

I really am done on the road. 3 hits in 14 months is WAY too much. Three strikes is enough. Not the way I wanted to start off my year. That's for damn sure.

Also the cop said at the scene of the accident that the lady who hit me was 100% at fault because I did nothing wrong. I was just riding in the bike lane.

Ugh. I only got one day of riding DH after getting cleared by the doc before this happened.
Don't know how the laws in California are, but in NC if you're in an auto accident, EVEN ON YOUR BIKE, most people have a benefit called "medical payments or MedPay". Call your own insurer even if her insurance pays the bill. The medical payments benefit will pay out up to your limit for hospital bills regardless of if she pays it all. It's a double payoff for you. In NC, payments from medical payments does not count points against you either.

It'll get you a new saddle, which is the hidden bent part I found after I got hit the last time.:thumb::thumb:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Ouch, sorry to hear that man. Heal quickly. In the meantime, I'd take the bike to your LBS and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb, there may be damage you're missing and if it comes down to it her insurance is more likely to pay out if a bike shop finds it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Damn Josh. You gotta stop riding down there...
Get better, and when you heal up let's ride.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Stupid cars. :mad: Glad to hear your body ain't broke. 6-8 weeks on crutches will suck, but at least it's nothing major. Although, a partially torn quad sounds painful.

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Wow! Your story confirms the fears I have had my entire life. I am 45 years old and have been an extreme athlete and adrenaline junky most of my life. I have spent many a years on bikes and motorcycles but because of my fears, I have never owned a road bike or street motorcycle. When I ride now (bmx dirt & park) I don't trust anyone but me!

Hope you heal up quickly!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Josh, be careful about depending on what the officer said. Make sure you get a report, and follow up on the cops and the insurance company of this stupid driver. Just because a cop says something, the insurance company will probably fight it tooth and nail.

Heal up, man!!! 3 accidents in 14 months IS, most definitely, way too much.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hyper sh!TTY man. But with all the suing you could be doing, i bet you could set youself up with one helluva kickass honeymoon.