Quantcast

I just got Honed!

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Howabout XTRs? Any noticable difference in stiffness, or are you just saving half a pound in weight?
The old 952s, I'd say yes. The new ones, while I haven't ridden XT, are not as stiff as Race Face Turbines with an isis bb, so I can't imagine them being any less stiff than the XTs. More importantly than the weight, which can't be 1/2 pound, they are a couple hundred bucks more. :dead: Rings are also more, and harder to come by.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Howabout XTRs? Any noticable difference in stiffness, or are you just saving half a pound in weight?
Weight weenies shows a difference of about 75 grams by doing quick math and comparing 4 numbers. I think a pound is about 454 grams, so I would say it is a long stetch from 1/2 pound. With that little weight savings, I would run quickly from XTR these days.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
The old 952s, I'd say yes. The new ones, while I haven't ridden XT, are not as stiff as Race Face Turbines with an isis bb, so I can't imagine them being any less stiff than the XTs. More importantly than the weight, which can't be 1/2 pound, they are a couple hundred bucks more. :dead: Rings are also more, and harder to come by.
My bad, I was referring to LX/XTR. You're right though, I thought it was a difference of about half a pounds, but its 797g vs. 927. 130 grams is what...quarter pound?

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
My bad, I was referring to LX/XTR. You're right though, I thought it was a difference of about half a pounds, but its 797g vs. 927. 130 grams is what...quarter pound?
Just a tad more.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have XTR cranks, and yes they're nice, but cost on a 32t ring is 38$ :eek:

On another note. I think the reason Shimano's cranks are much better in the strength to weight ratio department is because they are the only crank mfr with the capability to hollow cast their crank arms(as opposed to I-beam-style arms that everyone else has).

Cuprinol

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
johnbryanpeters said:
LX and XT both work fine. Screw the component snobs.
I consider myself to be a component snob, and that´s why I use both saint and hone. Not on the same bike mind you.

Hmm that sounded quite like a cheesy comercial, sry bout that :)