Quantcast

I just got my new Surly tensioner

J

JRB

Now I can push up again. This thing is way nicer than the old one.

J

JRB

It has a better spring than the old ones and went on nicely. I didn't fare so well with the first one a couple of years ago. I tried Inbred's rennen rollenlager, which is awesome, but the breezer dropouts don't jive with it. I got to send him a note and get it back to him. It's a nice piece of work though. Some mods and it would work, but it's not mine.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so what was with the Rennen?

from the looks of that pic, can the roller be moved left and right, to adjust for chainline? if so, have they always been able to do that? i remember posting on Mojo something about that, but at the time, the Surlys were fixed in one location. they stole my idea.

J

JRB

The rennen is big around the axle bolt, as it should be. Breezer dropouts have that hood over the top and they are not flat inside. Kind of beveled. I had a spacer in there, but I didn't want to screw up your tensioner, or have the wheel come off. With some machining, it would work I think. I like the set up far better, but it doesn't jive with my frame. With a standard frame, it's perfect. Someone asked if it would work with Ritchey dropouts, that I don't know, but can say not with breezer. I'll get with you soon.

These are breezers -

J

JRB

Nice - I am jealous, but this is a pretty nice bike and can use gears if need be.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My old surly sucked. I tried putting big washers on it instead of the old hoop then I saw the new design. I think they were sending people to spy on my in my basement. I got the new one and it works well. Unfortunately I am too fat and out of shape to enjoy singlespeeding as much as I did last year.