Quantcast

I just got yelled at by a driver for riding in the bike lane!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In the 70's [yeah I know ancient history] I rode my roadie all over the west side of Los Angeles. I always carried a chain with a master key lock slung over my head and left shoulder, it made for a great weapon. Many times I had jackasses try to squeeze me into the curb on Lincoln Blvd and evertime I grabbed that loop over my head with my left hand and took dead aim at the front winshield. I cracked many a window and dented lots of sheet metal... picturing a 6'1" 220 pound long haired crazed guy madly beating on a car with a lock and chain still brings a smile to my face

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
I was waiting at a light once where there is no right turn on red. I was up on the curb, and then the light turned green and the walk sign came up. I rode off the curb and out onto the street and some a$$hole almost ran me over. He stopped, layed on his horn and I stopped too, then he sped off around me, while im sitting on my bike halfway across the right side of the street

I was waiting at a light once where there is no right turn on red. I was up on the curb, and then the light turned green and the walk sign came up. I rode off the curb and out onto the street and some a$$hole almost ran me over. He stopped, layed on his horn and I stopped too, then he sped off around me, while im sitting on my bike halfway across the right side of the street
What were you doing riding on the sidewalk?

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
In the 70's [yeah I know ancient history] I rode my roadie all over the west side of Los Angeles. I always carried a chain with a master key lock slung over my head and left shoulder, it made for a great weapon. Many times I had jackasses try to squeeze me into the curb on Lincoln Blvd and evertime I grabbed that loop over my head with my left hand and took dead aim at the front winshield. I cracked many a window and dented lots of sheet metal... picturing a 6'1" 220 pound long haired crazed guy madly beating on a car with a lock and chain still brings a smile to my face
Dude, I have felt liek doing that so many time. Did anyone ever try and kick your ass?

You know La being liek crazy with gangs and shet.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What happened to my solution photo.
Girl + gun = Solution.
Fascist mods...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the final point is that I drive a bit around the Bay Area. I never seem to have any problem with bikes.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I had a fun encounter one night. I leave from my house, take the first left up the hill and start pedalling away. bout a block up the road, Bunch of High school groms decided to hoot and Holler, Fag this, nice shorts queer that Blah Blah.... I am not worried about it at this point. I looked back, saw who they were, and road on. Well, about a block after there.... guess who... the HSG's come by, talking crap again, but this time swerving at us a bit, pulling in front of us, hitting the brake's ETC. bout a minute of this and they were off.

Part they didnt realize, was I knew teh vehicle, it was a friend of mines Kid and his friends. So I finish up my ride, swing by his place on the way home, and see whats up..... I didnt say anything, just sat on the couch BSing with his Pops, having a beer when his kid came in the door!!!!! He saw my bike in the walkway, and me sitting there. He had the greatsest Oh SHI!T look on his face. It was great his Dad was asking what was wrong, he couldnt asnwer, took him a few minutes to realize I hadnt said anything, or as to why I was even there. Later his Dad asked me what was up, So I told him...... Also told him to let it go, the Oh **** this guy knows my Dad feeling was enough torture!!!!!

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
I had a fun encounter one night. I leave from my house, take the first left up the hill and start pedalling away. bout a block up the road, Bunch of High school groms decided to hoot and Holler, Fag this, nice shorts queer that Blah Blah.... I am not worried about it at this point. I looked back, saw who they were, and road on. Well, about a block after there.... guess who... the HSG's come by, talking crap again, but this time swerving at us a bit, pulling in front of us, hitting the brake's ETC. bout a minute of this and they were off.

Part they didnt realize, was I knew teh vehicle, it was a friend of mines Kid and his friends. So I finish up my ride, swing by his place on the way home, and see whats up..... I didnt say anything, just sat on the couch BSing with his Pops, having a beer when his kid came in the door!!!!! He saw my bike in the walkway, and me sitting there. He had the greatsest Oh SHI!T look on his face. It was great his Dad was asking what was wrong, he couldnt asnwer, took him a few minutes to realize I hadnt said anything, or as to why I was even there. Later his Dad asked me what was up, So I told him...... Also told him to let it go, the Oh **** this guy knows my Dad feeling was enough torture!!!!!

hahaha thats hilarious

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
for not doing it anyway. that's what they're there for...
If I had a better escape route that car would be marked for sure! Give my lack of anywhere to go, I really didn't want to get run the F down and killed. I don't want to be goo on a bumper, and this chick was mental enough to try!!

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
From recent events I can tell you that getting hit by a car is not a good time.

Turns out they caught the guy this morning who hit me a few weeks back. Lives less then two miles from my house...

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
If I had a better escape route that car would be marked for sure! Give my lack of anywhere to go, I really didn't want to get run the F down and killed. I don't want to be goo on a bumper, and this chick was mental enough to try!!
you should have tased her. just sayin'.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
From recent events I can tell you that getting hit by a car is not a good time.

Turns out they caught the guy this morning who hit me a few weeks back. Lives less then two miles from my house...
and??? you can't leave us hanging like that.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They're not telling me much. I think the whole "If I find that ****er I am going to string him up by his nuts" remark when they took my statement after getting hit might be putting them off of giving me too much info.

Supposedly they are going to haul him in today, and want me to come down and do a line up and to ID the truck.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am calling bull**** on this one.

No, drivers are cowards for using 2 ton metal things with moters as weapons.

Another critical mass story. Some driver got mad at some messengers because he had been waiting for 10 minutes. The guy gets out of the car and the messengers proceed to surround him. The guy starts talking **** to the main guy that had been taunting him. After 30 seconds or so of yelling the guys goes, lets go. He swings at the messenger the messenger ducks and proceeds to smash the guys nose hard. Then some one else starts talking **** to the guy how he got hit in the face, guy gets mad swings at the other messenger, the he ducks ducks (the driver was kind of old and fat so he wasn't moving to fast) then hits him in the face again. These messengers took turns antagonizing this guy and to the point of swinging and hitting him in the face, after 5 or 6 people hitting him and after hitting the ground a couple times he decided it would be best to get in his car and STFU

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Since we're swapping ride stories...

I was riding early evening last week going to the girlfriend's house. Going down a big hill, some clown thinks it's a nice idea to sneak up next to me, slow down to my speed (maybe 30 mph) and swerve his car towards me. Nice. It kind of pissed me off, so I gave him the finger. Probably not something I'd usually do, but I had been almost hit about 5 times in the previous 2 days.

The guy stops at the sign at the bottom of the hill and waits for me. Like he wants to fight or something. I just stopped on the side behind him and waited for him to go. I hopped onto the sidewalk and started riding (house was only 200 ft away at this point) as he trolled down the street next to me. He even stopped at one point (as if I were going to stop). I look over and see like 4 or 5 year old kids in the back seat of the car. WTF. One of the kids yells at me: "Hey! You die!" Double WTF.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Since we're swapping ride stories...

I was riding early evening last week going to the girlfriend's house. Going down a big hill, some clown thinks it's a nice idea to sneak up next to me, slow down to my speed (maybe 30 mph) and swerve his car towards me. Nice. It kind of pissed me off, so I gave him the finger. Probably not something I'd usually do, but I had been almost hit about 5 times in the previous 2 days.

The guy stops at the sign at the bottom of the hill and waits for me. Like he wants to fight or something. I just stopped on the side behind him and waited for him to go. I hopped onto the sidewalk and started riding (house was only 200 ft away at this point) as he trolled down the street next to me. He even stopped at one point (as if I were going to stop). I look over and see like 4 or 5 year old kids in the back seat of the car. WTF. One of the kids yells at me: "Hey! You die!" Double WTF.

As of late with people like this I am starting to remember something they taught me at boot...

Some folk just need to die.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
blah blah blah....
I look over and see like 4 or 5 year old kids in the back seat of the car. WTF. One of the kids yells at me: "Hey! You die!" Double WTF.
where do you think Jerry Springer gets his guests..?:monkeydance:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
All your stories are very scary. I think I'm going to start riding with pepper spray. Good for loose dogs, and dogs driving BMW's!

Seriously, it's probably not a bad idea. I think you can even get a little top tube holster for it. I've been chased by a couple large dogs. Not fun. Good workout, still not fun. And if anyone gets all raged out and actually tries to follow up on their threats it could buy a few seconds to get out of dodge.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
All your stories are very scary. I think I'm going to start riding with pepper spray. Good for loose dogs, and dogs driving BMW's!

Seriously, it's probably not a bad idea. I think you can even get a little top tube holster for it. I've been chased by a couple large dogs. Not fun. Good workout, still not fun. And if anyone gets all raged out and actually tries to follow up on their threats it could buy a few seconds to get out of dodge.
I mainly picked up some for dogs on my runs and rides, but this dude is another reason I carry some on the road bike. Unfortunately, his house is very near one of my favorite rides.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

You could probably use a cell phone holster attached to your bags shoulder strap.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/accessories/cell-phone-holder

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

We sell it, comes with a Holster to put either on the top tube/stem or under the seat

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
lol, I got honked at today for crossing IN THE CROSSWALK WITH the signal saying I could. The guy wanted to make a right turn.

I stopped, got off, and stood there flipping him off. I was only going to stay there until the light changed but he decided to get out of his car.

He comes up to me and says in a very flat, but strong tone "Move your ****ing bike".

I stand there and respond with "As long as your light is still red, I have the right of way, and nothing you can say or do will get me to move."

"Oh really?" he inquired just before turning around and getting into his car, pulling forward, and bumping my tire.

I walked over to the driver side door, opened it, pulled him out and layed him on the ground, then put my foot on his chest and said "If you ever ****ing do that again you will end up in the hospital. Next time you have a dispute with somebody, grow a ****ing set and handle it like a man, not a ****ing coward who hides behind two tons of steel. Pussy."

Oh man did he look scared. I mean, this guy that he was probably sure he could overpower just put him in his place pretty hard.

I got my foot off of him, he stayed there for a second as I mounted up and rode off.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
lol, I got honked at today for crossing IN THE CROSSWALK WITH the signal saying I could. The guy wanted to make a right turn.

I stopped, got off, and stood there flipping him off. I was only going to stay there until the light changed but he decided to get out of his car.

He comes up to me and says in a very flat, but strong tone "Move your ****ing bike".

I stand there and respond with "As long as your light is still red, I have the right of way, and nothing you can say or do will get me to move."

"Oh really?" he inquired just before turning around and getting into his car, pulling forward, and bumping my tire.

I walked over to the driver side door, opened it, pulled him out and layed him on the ground, then put my foot on his chest and said "If you ever ****ing do that again you will end up in the hospital. Next time you have a dispute with somebody, grow a ****ing set and handle it like a man, not a ****ing coward who hides behind two tons of steel. Pussy."

Oh man did he look scared. I mean, this guy that he was probably sure he could overpower just put him in his place pretty hard.

I got my foot off of him, he stayed there for a second as I mounted up and rode off.
Way to improve the reputation of cyclists. :plthumbsdown:

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Way to improve the reputation of cyclists. :plthumbsdown:
People who act like douchebags don't deserve common courtesy.

If somebody makes physical contact to me or my bike using a car, I don't give a **** about the reputation of cyclists, I'm going to set them straight.

I'm all for talking things over, though. The only time I get physical is when the other person initiates it.

So yes, I care about my safety and my rights more than I care about the general reputation of cyclists.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
People who act like douchebags don't deserve common courtesy.

If somebody makes physical contact to me or my bike using a car, I don't give a **** about the reputation of cyclists, I'm going to set them straight.

I'm all for talking things over, though. The only time I get physical is when the other person initiates it.

So yes, I care about my safety and my rights more than I care about the general reputation of cyclists.
Ah, but my point is that you instigated it, or at least brought it up to that level. You could have just flipped the guy off and kept riding. All he did was honk his horn, but instead you stood there and forced him to take the next move which was him getting out of the car. You then challenged him to make you move, so he bumped you with his car.

Am I condoning what he did? Of course not, but you didn't handle it well either. It didn't have to go that far, I mean all the guy did was honk at you.