Quantcast

I just had a thought

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
i know the idea probably won't float for a number of obvious reasons but here goes.

Since us singlespeeders put a lot more force into out freehub splines, mightn't it make sense to adopt the Campangnolo spline pattern, seeing as how it has a much more substantial character. It wouldn't help a whole hell of a lot with aluminum bodies, but would still be an improvement. It also makes it far more difficult to use commonly available cogs eg: shimano bmx, king, most every aftermarket ss cog to date.

but it's a thought, technically a better way but practically out of the question i guess. But then again the retro fit of a freehub body isn't exactly impracticable.

i submit for your aproval

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
easier and cheaper in the long run to push for wider based cogs, rather than adding yet another "standard" to the mtb world. from compnent makers, i'd assume this too. they can make more $$ selling you a new cog once the old one wears vs. selling a freehub body. that, and the nice nifty and neato alloy campy parts certainly are more expensive than a few cogs.

wide based cog solves the problem much easier, at least to my mind.

alu body on my SS, with a king cog. no problems whatsoever. i've also used a bmx cog with a smaller cog JB-Welded into place on each side to give it a nice wide base. no problems with that either.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
You only get notches in your freehub body when you use a single cog cannibalized from a full cassette. By comparison, a Shimano "bmx" single cassette cog is twice as thick at the base as one of these. The teeth are also taller and stouter.