Quantcast

i just joined a band, and i'll be on a stage in two weeks!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
thursday night was my audition and three hours of rehearsal. the band had a show already booked for 5/12, so i have some learning to do. bonus points, the show is at one of my favorite, and longest running goth clubs in hollywood, Bar Sinister.

can you say Marilyn Manson, Static-X, and Rob Zombie influences? and there are costumes, flame throwers, and a sense of humor too? nailed it!

my left arm isn't 100% yet, and still has a way to go, but the music arrangements are easy enough, and the band fully understands my situation. paralysis can suck it.

https://www.reverbnation.com/powermouth

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
can you say Marilyn Manson, Static-X, and Rob Zombie influences?
Actually, no. I can't even bring myself to say it at all.

I've made great strides purging those several years of the mid 90's from memory.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Ruffles, I'm a bassist.

H8R, I get where you are coming from about that era of music. However, those particular bands are personal favorites of mine.

Regarding video, there is plan for a webcast. Don't know the specifics yet.

It is going to be odd, since it is just going to be vocals, bass, guitar, and programmed backing tracks. I'm not a fan of being drummer less, in terms of how it plays to the audience. It also feels strange to play with backing tracks, kinda like karaoke. However, it makes the songs easier to learn, and loading gear is fast and easy. The project is still new, so I'm not sure what the plans are for adding members. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the fun parts.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I want to give mandown rep for being rad, but it won't let me!

Anyway, congrats man!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Already had two rehearsals, with a third one Thursday when we will try it in costumes. These dudes are serious, but not a-holes about it. It is going to be a bumpy ride to the finish line, but fully worth it so far.

Speaking of "finish" our guitarist is from Finland, and has a history in the underground there, so we evidently have a small built-in group of fans there, and some connections to various media outlets. Man, I hope this thing goes as awesome as it looks like it could be. Mandown's 2012 Euro-underground summer tour would be a great way to celebrate the two-year anniversary of my broken neck. Of course, it is all just talk until it happens.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
we played last night. it was rad. this picture scratches the surface of the awesome:

the crowd called us a mutant combo of GWAR and Rammstein. nobody could believe it was our first show, and that i had only been in the band two weeks. my friends were there in full force. our live streaming of the show worked and had over 100 viewers. we had a chainsaw and a flamethrower on stage. i played in a wheelchair. more importantly, i made nice with the very cute bassist from the opening act, and was fortunate enough to have enough room in my car to give her and her gear a lift home after the show :thumb:

...and, yes, that is a very short 'hawk-and-chops combo.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The live stream was recorded. Editing will happen, since that is what our guitarist does for a living, and I'm certain a YouTube posting will follow shortly.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
we played last night. it was rad. this picture scratches the surface of the awesome:

the crowd called us a mutant combo of GWAR and Rammstein. nobody could believe it was our first show, and that i had only been in the band two weeks. my friends were there in full force. our live streaming of the show worked and had over 100 viewers. we had a chainsaw and a flamethrower on stage. i played in a wheelchair. more importantly, i made nice with the very cute bassist from the opening act, and was fortunate enough to have enough room in my car to give her and her gear a lift home after the show :thumb:

I approve this message. :clapping:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
no dingwall?
I wanted to, but the worn finish on the Pbass fit better with the image. Seriously, the guitarist is in drop-C, so it would be a better choice to use the Dingwall 5 string, but reach to the first frets is harder than I thought it would be for me (I even tried tuning everything a half step up for an open C on the low string), and the shape of the neck in that region started to be a problem for my left hand. Also, the finish seemed to be a bit more tacky, so my hand got hung up too easily. And honestly, the Pbass just sounds better. My mom was over yesterday and I played each bass for her (she hadn't see/heard the P before) and she picked up on the sweeter, more musical sound.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

Seriously awesome... :thumb:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I never really appreciated bass until about a week ago. I was watching this documentary on Netflix about Black Sabbath's Paranoid album, and they have the original mixes playing in a recording studio. When they played War Pigs, they turned down all the drum/guitar/vocal tracks and played only the bass line during the solo. I nearly crapped myself. As a guitar player, solos and riffs tend to get my attention 99.9% of the time, and bass is nothing more than a metronome to keep my foot tapping to with little attention to what's actually being played. That bass line has changed that for me forever though.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I never really appreciated bass until about a week ago. I was watching this documentary on Netflix about Black Sabbath's Paranoid album, and they have the original mixes playing in a recording studio. When they played War Pigs, they turned down all the drum/guitar/vocal tracks and played only the bass line during the solo. I nearly crapped myself. As a guitar player, solos and riffs tend to get my attention 99.9% of the time, and bass is nothing more than a metronome to keep my foot tapping to with little attention to what's actually being played. That bass line has changed that for me forever though.
I saw a vid recording of that song. The bass player was never even in frame

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I've stood 5 feet from him watching him warm up at soundcheck. Jaw on floor.

He is not a man. He is a living bass god.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The video footage got the edit, and here it is :D
Well, OK!

Not my bag but a pretty damn good performance for a "first" gig.

I don't really get the wheelchair thing though.

This was only my 3rd show with Sleep:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
giggling like schoolgirl at video.

is matt allergic to shirts?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Well, OK!

Not my bag but a pretty damn good performance for a "first" gig.

I don't really get the wheelchair thing though.

Thanks. It is not the most meaningful music ever, but it sure is fun.

The wheelchair is because I can't stand and play with the bass weight on my shoulder yet. We needed a solution and that was it. We talked about making the chair more of a "command center" type deal, but nothing final has come of it, and I may be able to stand by the next show.

That chainsaw got kinda close a few times, and both the guitarist and I pooped a bit. A flame thrower shows up later in the gig :)