Quantcast

I just love today's media - not!

I guess verifying facts are no longer a pre-requisite in today's society. Just wanted to say "Hey! We droped a bomb in Pakastan today!! Woot! Woot!"

al-Zawahiri, dead? or not?

(CNN) -- A CIA airstrike on a building in Pakistan may have killed Osama bin Laden's most-trusted aide, sources said.

The building where Ayman al-Zawahiri was thought to be is in Damadola, a small village near the Afghan border.

There has been no confirmation that al-Zawahiri was killed in the attack. However, sources say there was intelligence suggesting he was in the building at the time of the strike.

Pakistani officials were at the scene of the strike, trying to determine if Al-Zawahiri was killed.

A doctor in the area told The Associated Press that at least 17 people were killed in the attack, but other witnesses at the scene said the death toll was higher.

Just last week, the Arabic-language news network, Al-Jazeera, aired a videotape in which the al Qaeda operative called on President Bush to concede defeat in Iraq.

It was al-Zawahiri's fifth message released over the past year, including ones claiming responsibility for the July attacks on the transit system in London, England.

The U.S. government is offering up to $25 million for information leading to the capture of al-Zawahiri, an Egyptian doctor and long-time bin Laden associate.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/13/alqaeda.strike/index.html

The problem I have is they're reporting something that has no substantiation other than the fact that we droped a bomb on a house.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they did get that pile of crap al-Zawahiri, just let me know when the goal was actually accomplished, not some hear-say report alluding to the possibility of it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
surfinguru said:
The problem I have is they're reporting something that has no substantiation other than the fact that we droped a bomb on a house.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they did get that pile of crap al-Zawahiri, just let me know when the goal was actually accomplished, not some hear-say report alluding to the possibility of it.
But the dropping of the bomb WAS news worthy..that's what you apparently don't get.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It was 10 bombs on as many as 3 houses in a few hundred yard range. They hit a lot of people, none of them have been identified as being linked, but tests are being done.

You have to love what our drones do to house values in some areas.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
(CNN) -- Ayman al-Zawahiri -- Osama bin Laden's right-hand man in the al Qaeda terrorist network -- was not killed in a CIA airstrike on a remote Pakistani village, according to a Pakistani intelligence official.

U.S. sources said al-Zawahiri was the target of Friday's strike and initially reported that he may have been among the 18 people killed.

The Pakistani intelligence official said it was not known whether al-Zawahiri was in the area.

Pakistan's Foreign Office said Saturday it had lodged a protest with the U.S. ambassador to Pakistan over the attack on the village of Damadola, near the Afghan border.

"Pakistan will also take up this matter in the next meeting of Tripartite Commission," a statement read. The group is made up of senior military and diplomatic representatives from coalition forces, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The Associated Press quoted a senior Pakistani intelligence official as saying "our investigations conclude that they (the CIA) acted on a false information."

Reuters also quoted a senior Pakistani official as saying: "Al-Zawahri was not there at the time of the attack."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/14/alqaeda.strike/index.html