Quantcast

I just sold my car...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Can't justify keeping it when I only drive it to avoid parking tickets. I'm sad now, I'm stuck driving the Jetta. Oh well, new STI or Legacy GT Spec B in...The g/f has approved if I wait one year.
At least I don't need to pay for gas, parking, car washes, maintenance, or interest on the loan.
But I am still sad...:disgust1:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Can't justify keeping it when I only drive it to avoid parking tickets. I'm sad now, I'm stuck driving the Jetta. Oh well, new STI or Legacy GT Spec B in...The g/f has approved if I wait one year.
At least I don't need to pay for gas, parking, car washes, maintenance, or interest on the loan.
But I am still sad...:disgust1:
you finally decided that a normally aspirated impreza isn't a good trackday car? :twitch:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nope. I wanted to keep it, especially after the Jetta broke down last weekend. G/F can't drive a manual, so I lost. I still like it as a track car. It leaves some wanting for more power, but it's fun as all hell.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No it's not. But she makes my life much better. For that is it worth it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Don't hate Mr.Wankel.
say what? just about any mazda rotary can make a great track car. need i remind you that the RX-8 is the car to beat in SCCA Touring 3 road racing and B Stock autocross? :twitch:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Toshi has a FAR better track car stock than most moded cars. damn your 50-50 weight balance and easily tune-able engine.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why, because we like fast, light, nimble high performance cars that can turn (which excludes all American cars exept Z06)?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why, because we like fast, light, nimble high performance cars that can turn (which excludes all American cars exept Z06)?
the non-Z06 C6, Solstice, and Sky beg to differ with you. maybe even the Crossfire, too. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Solstice/Sky = Same car
Crossfire is effectively a MB.
forgot about the C6..:duh:

That's still 3/?? to most/a lot

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Solstice/Sky = Same car
Crossfire is effectively a MB.
forgot about the C6..:duh:

That's still 3/?? to most/a lot
euro cars i would truly consider good handling/not porkers:

uh, nothing in the current BMW lineup. they're rwd musclecars at this point. new M3 is 3700 lbs! (makes the GT-R's 3800 lbs seem a whole lot less, eh)

audi? ok, R8. sedans are still front-heavy and huge. B6 S4 is 3800 lbs. TT might get a pass, but still front-heavy.

VW? nope.

porsche, ok, but to get past the asking price and the stigma... :D

hmm. :lighten:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
135?
Compared to American cars, they still handle. Compared to Japanese cars? Straight liners.
I think we're just debating semantics at this point.
In general, for handling: Japanese-Euro-US
for Straight lines no longer than 1/4 mile: US-Euro-Japanese
for turning long straight aways: Euro-Japanese-US.

Can we agree?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Euro's are almost as bad as American (in some cases much worse) for reliability, though.

RWD Jap cars are it. My friends 350Z (stock "enthusiast" 6 speed) is too good to be denied. If the RX8 wasn't so damn ugly, it would be #2 in my book.

I don't autocross, but I enjoy good power:weight and cornering. That's why I bought a motorcycle :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
RWD Jap cars are it. My friends 350Z (stock "enthusiast" 6 speed) is too good to be denied. If the RX8 wasn't so damn ugly, it would be #2 in my book.
It is a shame that mazda/nissan/toyota/honda do not employ anyone who can style a car worth a s**t.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but BMW does? the 1 series looks like a pregnant cow. maybe it's meant to reflect the world's collective expanding waistline...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
bwahaha...
I'll just wedge my 6'4" a$$ into an Elise. I think it's HAWT...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is a shame that mazda/nissan/toyota/honda do not employ anyone who can style a car worth a s**t.
My '72 240z was the tits. If only the Skyline (the older the better) was available in left hand drive here :drool:

<edit> You should have seen me SQUEEZE into the Lotus Exige at the Ducati dealership. I damn near needed the jaws of life to get my ass out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i love the Elise's clarity of purpose. but, truth be told, i'm not sure that i really could live with something like that day in and day out, and i'm not so sure that i'd want to devote $40k to a plaything come the time that i could afford to splurge that sum.

/me should just give in and buy a Prius when the next one comes out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and it's right most "sportscars" of all manufacturers have become to heavy
even though the new M3 turns quite well.
hopefully there will be a CSL version of it soon.
the RX-8 still weighs in at under 3k if you don't check the boxes for power seats, sunroof, etc... it's a shame the fuel economy isn't better given its aerodynamics, tiny displacement, and light weight. the short gears that it runs for performance kill the economy -- it ticks over at 500 rpm / 10 mph at freeway speeds (3k at 60 mph).

if only mazda made it with twice as long gearing but with an electric assist a la the honda hybrids to lend torque when needed... hmm

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The 135i weighs as much as a 3-series. The R8 is Audi's first true sports car, IMHO, but costs an obscene amount of money. People always bust out the coupe quattro...as cool as it was, it was still just a sedan with two doors and a hatch. I'd rather buy a Cayman and dump the extra cash into it to make it a monster.

I REALLY want an RX8. I think it's next up on my list of cars to buy...the 350Z is nice, but ugly and I'm a bit of a dashstroker. It's a bit anemic, though, I'd really like a turbocharged variation.

I wouldn't mind an e36 M3 or e28 M5, but I value my wallet. A mint 951 would kick ass, but they're tough to find. Easy 400RWHP, 52/48 rear front balance, LSD, 2800lbs. I really pine for euro/japanese late 80s-early 90s performance cars.

Safety and luxury has really massacred modern affordable performance cars, only a few decent examples remain.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think the ultimate combination for me would be:

Prius 3 for the gf/daily driver
diesel hybrid VW or MB awd wagon-vehicle (under warranty! heh) for ski trips
some sort of barebones kit car that i could build on the weekends and rip around in for the pure experience. no airbags. no stereo. no top. no power steering.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
moto == track only since i'm opposed to being a squid. a kit car would be something that i could take weekend drives in without fearing for my life with each passing car.

the Atom is cool, but i want the experience of building something substantial myself. maybe a kit plane, but the price of building that incorrectly would be a bit higher. :dead: did you read that Brammo lost the contract to build the Atom? now it's some facility based out of Virginia Intl Raceway.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
but BMW does? the 1 series looks like a pregnant cow. maybe it's meant to reflect the world's collective expanding waistline...

The only bmw's i remotely like are the 6 series hard top convertibles.

I hate the VW/Audi front ends.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
moto == track only since i'm opposed to being a squid. a kit car would be something that i could take weekend drives in without fearing for my life with each passing car.

the Atom is cool, but i want the experience of building something substantial myself.
As much of a douche Brian Austin Green is, he had a tube chassis Porsche 356 speedster kit with a rear mounted Mazda turbo rotary engine. The power:weight was insane and it could be built at home. A good friend of mine builds VW transaxles for sand cars and said an adapter for the rotary would be cake. He's an old Cal Look VW nut and knows his business.

Talk about a weekend blast!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ooh, that's cool. one of my parents' friends out in coos bay has a mint 1964? 356. it's softly sprung but everything is so bare and direct. no padding on the dash... i dig it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ooh, that's cool. one of my parents' friends out in coos bay has a mint 1964? 356. it's softly sprung but everything is so bare and direct. no padding on the dash... i dig it.
Now imagine that with HUGE 4 wheel disc brakes, tube chassis, and a turbo rotary engine. :D

I hope to build my "shop car" in the next 2 years. I have it down to either a Cobra, or a Speedster. The Cobra would be Chevy LS6 (e85 compliant) powered, though.