Quantcast

I keep discovering new things in the new house

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
most are of the: you have to be kidding me type things. Like no duct hooked up to the air conditioner, a couple of ceiling can lights not hooked up to anything electrical. This one just cracked me up; we moved the storage shed to make better use of the concrete deck....they painted the house but skipped the area behind the shed, lazy bastards.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
That's hilariously lazy :rofl:

We found lots of the "you've got to be kidding me" type of things when we bought our house a few years ago. Slowly been fixing them but still have plenty to go.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
most are of the: you have to be kidding me type things. Like no duct hooked up to the air conditioner, a couple of ceiling can lights not hooked up to anything electrical. This one just cracked me up; we moved the storage shed to make better use of the concrete deck....they painted the house but skipped the area behind the shed, lazy bastards.

I can see the sun fade in the shadow of the roof of the shed. You have to paint the whole wall to make it even.....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
oh and I hung some decorations in the back yard. The were on the fascia of the old family restaurant . The Sorrento Beach Grill on the PCH in Santa Monica. They hung there from the 40s -50"s until the building came down in 1975. Enamel on Steel

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
someone steals signs....last seen on episode of antique roadshow...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Some people just shouldn't work on their houses.

That looks like every single thing I do with our house. I can't think of a single project that hasn't involved some sort of complications because the previous owner took a shortcut previously.

- Replacing the bathroom light. He didn't use a junction box so I had to install one before I could start work on the light.
- Replacing the toilet. He cut the subfloor incorrectly so it was impossible to bolt the toilet flange to the subfloor. I had to go in underneath and screw on an extension to the subfloor (maybe not the correct solution, but I really didn't want to have to rip up everything in order to replace the subfloor) so that I could bolt the flange to that and then replace the toilet.
- Replacing a window. Instead of buying a custom size window to fit the opening in the wall, he put in about three inches of layers of wood on each side of the window to fill the space. Then duct taped a piece of glass into place. I had to reframe the whole thing. Then get the custom window.
- Replacing the air filter. He did some sort of hack job with the duct work and then jammed a filter of the wrong size into place. So replacing that turned into a six hour job involving the table saw.

At this point I just reserve the entire weekend if I'm going to do anything because it will almost certainly be required in order to fix whatever dumb****ery is lying just beneath the surface.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Some people just shouldn't work on their houses.
I've been dealing with this. The closet shelving looks like it came off the wall before me moved in, and fixed shadily at best. That collapsed.

The deck has a nice l/r shift if you walk across it too quickly. I need to put 45* cross braces from the deck to legs to stiffen things up.

The toilets in two bathrooms have the never ending run, which I still need to fix.

The wine cooler is broken, and it looks like he failed at installing the replacement parts correctly.

It goes on...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if they can get past a 95 pound bouvier and 3 aussies on my side of the fence or the nasty hounds on the other side
bouvier....more aloof than intimidating....

aussies.....trying to nervously herd a stranger....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Anyone hear of a house inspection prior to sale??
While I would never buy without one, let's just say I have been enormously disappointed with the two inspections I've had done. They picked up on dumbest, most inconsequential things...just to put SOMETHING in the report. And then far more serious issues, I have found on my own down the road. On my last one, I even said, "Hey what about this here? That seems like it could be due to X Y Z...." He handed me some bull**** story about well maybe the siding was blah blah blah........his explanation made no sense. And lo and behold, he was full of ****.

So my faith in home inspections is basically non-existent.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
This is why I plan to build to my own spec. No cookie cutter cutting corners. No ****ty prior owners screwing things up left and right (did I mention that the owner and previous inhabitant of my rental house here was an electrician? and apparently a very lazy one at that…).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Anyone hear of a house inspection prior to sale??
Had one, they found they disconnected duct, missed the can, missed the undersized natural gas line, missed the leaking ignitor on the furnace, identified some dry rot, found an issue with the electrical panel, missed some rotted fence posts. We were smart enough to buy the insurance on the appliances which fixed the furnace, seller fixed the electrical and AC Duct. We found the undersized gas line when we converted the kitchen and laundry to gas and had to run new lines.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Had one, they found they disconnected duct, missed the can, missed the undersized natural gas line, missed the leaking ignitor on the furnace, identified some dry rot, found an issue with the electrical panel, missed some rotted fence posts. We were smart enough to buy the insurance on the appliances which fixed the furnace, seller fixed the electrical and AC Duct. We found the undersized gas line when we converted the kitchen and laundry to gas and had to run new lines.
We had one. The inspector found a few small things, but not much. Next time I'll bring my own flashlight and spend more time looking around on my own.
precisely my point......