Quantcast

i killed my wine budget for the foreseeable future

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stopped by a local wine place yesterday to get a six pack. the chinese lady who runs it is nice, and i've ordered a few things from her. she was the one who got me that case of '96 Kenwood artist series cab for $35 a bottle. the store is kind of a mess, stuff all over the place, but that's part of its charm. she loves to talk a good talk (this bottle is worth $90, i give it to you for $45), but turns out that she is selling this location to concentrate on another store she owns in south boston. so she wants to liquidate as much as she can. i ended up buying a couple bottles of Mount Veeder Reserve 2000

a case of Rosemount orange vineyard Cab, a couple of other bottles (some small vineyard CA cab from '98, a Merryvale zin (2000), a stonehedge cab '00) but the big dollar item was a '97 brunello di montalcino riserva (Fattoria la Lecciaia), a case of it. this vintage was an outstanding one (rated at a 99 according to wine spectator), and although i'm unfamiliar w/ the vintner, hopefully it wasn't money flushed down the toilet. i plan on holding these suckers hostage for at least a decade anyway, so it'll be a while til i find out.

looks like i'll be drinking PBR and Franzia for the next few months.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The wife is still gone, isn't she?

"Gee, honey, I don't know what you're talking about... those bottles were there all along!"

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
do you have a cellar or a wine cooler?

nice score too.

Have you opened the Mount Veeder yet? If so, let me know how it stands up to the Bordeaux you have tried.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TN said:
do you have a cellar or a wine cooler?

nice score too.

Have you opened the Mount Veeder yet? If so, let me know how it stands up to the Bordeaux you have tried.
i've got both, kinda; a ~50 bottle wine cooler (Haier) from home depot which was cheap ($150), and an expandable rack system (which sits in my basement) i had before i got the cooler, which holds about 60 bottles. i'm about full right now, on both fronts.

my basement isn't ideal but it's close; temp doesn't vary too widely.

the veeder will sit down for a while; not in a hurry to open those.

in terms of bordeaux, i'm pretty inexperienced, at least when it comes to pricey bottles. one of the best i've had was a '96 chateau du glana; that was superb and not too pricey. i've got an '00 in hibernation.