Quantcast

I knew him when he was a Downhiller

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
UPDATED LINKS:

This is an old school buddy of mine who took me on some of my most epic descents when we were in college. He'd disappear for an entire day near Black Balsam and bushwack routes back to WCU's campus. He was a big air king & responsible for building & setting up most of the street stunts at the old Asheville Urban Sprawl street comp.

Old, dead links:
World Record Attempt!
http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880908004

Gallery of photos:
http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=B0&Dato=20080907&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=907011&Ref=PH

Here is the second article. looks like he'll try it again.
http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/NEWS01/80909031

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
so how much travel does that thing get? :D
The crane + harness is a great idea. After first seeing the thread, I thought perhaps he was doing it without somehow.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Where the hell did he find a shirt that fruity?
we live in Asheville bro. Wearing something other than Willy Wonka Wear is the hard part.

The first time I met Mooney, he had a set of wood beams mounted to the top of some old beater car as a roof rack. After college, we ran into each other at a DH in Charlotte. His race gear was a thermal underwear shirt and a pair of spandex cycling shorts with a hole in the butt big enough to make others uncomfortable. Next time was him airing a roof type jump at Wolf Laurel to flat, next time...jumping a Honda civic in a shop parking lot during a bike demo. He always pops up in odd places.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
we live in Asheville bro. Wearing something other than Willy Wonka Wear is the hard part.

The first time I met Mooney, he had a set of wood beams mounted to the top of some old beater car as a roof rack. After college, we ran into each other at a DH in Charlotte. His race gear was a thermal underwear shirt and a pair of spandex cycling shorts with a hole in the butt big enough to make others uncomfortable. Next time was him airing a roof type jump at Wolf Laurel to flat, next time...jumping a Honda civic in a shop parking lot during a bike demo. He always pops up in odd places.

haha, that description reminds me of sanjay for some reason. actually a couple of other dudes i know too come to think of it. I think cycling attracts some pretty 'different' people.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow... that's insane.

Sounds like a pretty cool guy to hang with. What did they use to get the bike out to the event? A flatbed tractor-trailer or something?

...bonus points if he can manual it or do a stoppie/nosebleed.

:biggrin:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Looks like the same dude, he bitched about that to every person he saw. Shawn should have let him ride, whenever I saw him riding he was in control...more then some people can say.