Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
they'd get off easier doing heroin or coke.....and have more fun.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm sure his doctor gave it to him unknowingly or his nephews roomate's cousin was injecting it into him without telling him what it was.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I for one am very, very hurt by this news. I probably won't take a nap today. I am very hurt by these slanderous accusations. I just washed my Redsox cap and it is drying in the sun. I guess I will have to wear my team Estana cap from now on instead....

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I for one am very, very hurt by this news. I probably won't take a nap today. I am very hurt by these slanderous accusations. I just washed my Redsox cap and it is drying in the sun. I guess I will have to wear my team Estana cap from now on instead....
w3rd. My Pistolero cap is in the mail as we speak.

As for Ortiz, big surprise. NOT. I'll tell you this much though, all this recent news just makes Griffey Jr. look all the much better.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You know, these guys are just plain lazy.

Really, with the money they make, you'd think their agent would send them to someone good like Ferrari for their dop...medical needs.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like how the Mitchell Report listed no Red Sox, and that Mitchell is an owner of the team...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What a bunch of hypocrites. Your team sucks and you won't admit the star was doping it all this time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
“Based on the way I have lived my life, I am surprised to learn I tested positive,’’ he said in his statement. “I will find out what I tested positive for. And, based on whatever I learn, I will share this information with my club and the public. You know me - I will not hide and I will not make excuses.’’
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/07/31/ortiz_confirms_he_tested_positive_in_2003/

Seriously, as a veteran bike racing fan, no one caught using PED says things like "false positives" or "used it once", because it is an obvious lie. Doping works, especially if you do it for a long period.

The thing about drug testing is while it will reveal most of the dopers, it will not show how extensively the drugs are being used.

I believe everyone who failed the 2003 test was informed, so there should be no surprises for anyone.

Andy Pettite, in particular, pissed me off, because he said he tried HGH once, like it was a lark. I don't think I need to explain what a program is.

Now that Ortiz has said "I will share this information with my club and the public. You know me - I will not hide and I will not make excuses", I like for him to admit exactly what he has taken and for how long. I'm not picking on Ortiz, but I like to see any of the big stars admit the usage.

Not that it will help him. Remember Giambi?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Glad to see him face his charges like a man.:rolleyes:

If I was a parent there is no way I would want my kids to become sports fans.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/07/31/ortiz_confirms_he_tested_positive_in_2003/

Seriously, as a veteran bike racing fan, no one caught using PED says things like "false positives" or "used it once", because it is an obvious lie. Doping works, especially if you do it for a long period.

The thing about drug testing is while it will reveal most of the dopers, it will not show how extensively the drugs are being used.

I believe everyone who failed the 2003 test was informed, so there should be no surprises for anyone.

Andy Pettite, in particular, pissed me off, because he said he tried HGH once, like it was a lark. I don't think I need to explain what a program is.

Now that Ortiz has said "I will share this information with my club and the public. You know me - I will not hide and I will not make excuses", I like for him to admit exactly what he has taken and for how long. I'm not picking on Ortiz, but I like to see any of the big stars admit the usage.

Not that it will help him. Remember Giambi?
I don't think any of them were told(Edit: I read somewhere that the Players association was suppose to tell them). My understanding of these tests was that it was supposed to be an anonymous test and used to make a decision whether testing should occur. Or something like that, Here's an article that talks about it:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20030311&content_id=217260&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Here's an interesting timeline for the drug policy in MLB:
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/news/drug_policy.jsp?content=timeline

Check out the Nov 13th item:
"5-to-7 percent of 1,438 tests were positive"
Ummm OK, so you had 1,438 tests, but you can't make an exact percentage of how many results were positive? How about 7.2%(104 tested positive supposedly) of the results were positive, why the range?

This whole thing is annoying, how are reporters getting names off the list? Is someone in MLB leaking them? Release the entire list already.

Who's been named so far? Arod, Manny, Papi, and Sosa have been named. All Dominicans and someone even mentioned all have the same trainer. Not sure if this is the off season training camp a lot of these guys go to or not.

I'm torn if I care or not. Part of me wonders why people keep saying the records should be cleared. Papi is a big dude but has never come close to hitting the ball out to Ted Williams seat in Fenway. So was Ted on something? People are saying 50 HRs in a year is a lot, so was Maris on something when he hit 61? How about Cy Young? How was he able to pitch so much? What really ruins baseball are the players who don't have a natural ability. How the **** is Johnny Damon a major league outfielder. I could throw further than him in Little League....seriously.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm torn if I care or not. Part of me wonders why people keep saying the records should be cleared. Papi is a big dude but has never come close to hitting the ball out to Ted Williams seat in Fenway. So was Ted on something? People are saying 50 HRs in a year is a lot, so was Maris on something when he hit 61? How about Cy Young? How was he able to pitch so much? What really ruins baseball are the players who don't have a natural ability. How the **** is Johnny Damon a major league outfielder. I could throw further than him in Little League....seriously.
You mentioned Cy Young, Ted Williams, and Roger Maris, who were all time greats.

They had lots of peers, but they were singular successes which no one could match until the 90's.

Now 3 players surpassed Maris, and at least one of them would not have even made the H-o-F without steroids.

Unlike cycling, which is a race against your contemporaries, baseball compares itself to its history. This is why baseball is now a failure.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Who's been named so far? Arod, Manny, Papi, and Sosa have been named. All Dominicans and someone even mentioned all have the same trainer. Not sure if this is the off season training camp a lot of these guys go to or not.
There have been others, A-Rod (Puerto Rican) for sure, and I believe Mcguire included.

Once Thome gets named, that'll basically take care of all the big hitters in that era. The Big Hurt hasn't been implicated either, but looking at his size and injury history... I don't have any doubt there.

Not surprised at all about Ortiz. I called it immediately after Manny got nailed, and watching how bad Ortiz had been playing. They probably injected it into each others' asses.

What a joke. They ought to void the Red Sox World Series wins.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well at least they fired... some $11-a-hour security guards. Not they were involved with steroids...

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4382145

Sounds like the MLBPA confirmed his name on the list but won't tell him what the "Banned Substance" was. Interesting that they Pick a Yankees game and a weekend to do this and not just make a written statement. Starting to sound like this is all a publicity stunt by MLB to get viewers.

I think he should be entitled to his historic records based on HIPAA.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Here's a question:

Will a Boston-based team ever win a championship in any sport without somehow cheating? :D