Quantcast

I know this has been covered. Fox 40 Clunk. Not rubber isolated. Worn bushings?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
No noise when it compresses, but if I drop the bike theres a clunk. With the bike in the air and the front wheel spinning and grab a handful of brake it clunks. I can flip it upside down and sit on the down tube and move the lowers slightly on the fork tubes.

Sounds like worn bushings. My question is, I haven't had the big bike together in quite sometime and just discovered this tonight and heading to Stevens Pass tomorrow AM. Any issues riding this a single day like this before rebuilding?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If it were mine, I'd probably pull the spring leg apart to make sure the spring rod and piston are intact - I'm sure they're fine, but it'd be dangerous if they weren't. I'd probably inspect all other moving parts at the same time since you'd have the fork apart, and it doesn't take that long really. Would also give you a chance to use fresh oil, and perhaps inspect the bushings by sliding each lower leg onto just one stanchion and rocking it, to see if there's much play.

Unless there is a lot of bushing play, it seems odd that they would clunk.

I guess it's up to you whether you have time to do that before or after your ride. :)

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
time to re-build the damponer. My 40 did this last year for a short time right before the bladder went. Re-built the damponer and it was 100%