Quantcast

I lernd no footers at Whistler...

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
but I still feel like a poser. I jump lots of stuff at Whistler on my MTB (SC Bullit), but have only cleared a few doubles in my local area at the dirt jumps I have visited. I sold my Vegas because it scared the piss out of me. Is it okay to be learning Dj's on my Seven inch travel freeride bike? My no footers were accomplished by trying them on step-ups, and boy were they fun!
If anyone has a suggestion on what to learn next, please have at it! This is my first post in this forum, so, Hi BMXer's!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
What to learn next? What tricks do you like? One can never go wrong with x-ups or tabletops - the classics never die.

Try combining stuff with the no footers, mabye. Like the x-up I mentioned before... or maybe one handers? Oo, oo, one footed x-ups look cool too.

Wait just a minute. You can't do an x-up on a freeride bike, can you... all those cables get in the way? Forget almost everything I just said in that case.

Learn jumping on whatever bike you want. If someone gives you crap about it, tell 'em to kiss my ass too. :monkey: :D

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Yeah, you can do x-ups no problem on MTBs as long as you have a single crown fork.

As for clearing doubles in your own hometown vs. clearing the jumps at Whistler, dude, NOTHING I've ridden is as well built and as natural feeling as Whistler. Whereas all the stuff in my hometown takes some effort to get airborne, at Whistler it takes effort not to get TOO airborne. After coming back from Whistler this summer, all the jumps in my city felt like crap.

Why wouldn't it be ok to go jumping on a seven-inch freeride dually? Did you start riding in the first place because of what other people thought and said? No, I didn't think so, so forget what everyone else says.

May 9, 2003
Of course you guys are right and thanks! I do ride for myself, for sure. My post was a poorly phrased solicitation of opinion, regarding relative merit of different styles of jump bikes and MTB's. I am totally new to jumps and even Freeride and DH. I have rode basically all XC forever before this past year since the Bullit. It's great though, and I am learning all the time which is what matters most.

I do feel bad about ditching the vegas, but it seriously didn't feel like a bike I could ride well. I am practicing tabletops now that I was told I was basically doing them anyway, (sort of) so I am gonna try to get them flat as I can now. I do have a dual crown on the bike so it will be limited a bit I guess by that. I ate it twice this weekend (at W.) trying the wallride there, too. I landed it the first time but it was weak, then went back and basically choked on those two attempts, going too high and bailing, and popping on and sliding off and to my knees!! So I guess I need a bit more work on those!

I like my bike for the jumping because the suspension feels almost bottomless and I like having brakes. I do have a redline 26" hardtail though, with only a back brake. I like messing around on it in town and it's of course a bunch lighter than my other bike. I'll try some jumping on it soon, but I sort of don't trust it as much! I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't know how so many of you guys ride without more protection though, I am seriously glad that in freeride and DH it's cool to wear armor, because I have finally experienced a classic dirtjumping piledriver type crash, and DANG but it hurt! It hurt so bad, and I landed straight onto my chest from like ten feet in the air to almost flatbottom, (A-Line) then slid a few feet, I'm sure you've all done it sometime! I know I would have broke my sheet if it hadn't been for a hard chest protector! Oh, and I cracked my fullface helmet too. I almost blacked out and obviously got the wind knocked right out of me, but I Guess it could have been a lot worse. :dead:

Well I am glad to hear that you have come over to the "darkside"...hehehe
but what the heck are you gonna do if not a trick while airborne..

I rode with you, so I can tell you what you should be working on..
I say keep at the No footers, until you can pull them on almost any jump..
on bigger jumps you will find you can and WILL wait alot longer to start your tricks..
it feels better that way, because no matter how long it seems to get into a trick with most, it takes half the time to return to a normal position..
So once you are super confident on the no footers.. it is time for the hand releases..
first one hand..
then the rockstar...
(one hand no footer)
then no handers..
and after this, when you are super comfy with all of these...
time for the Nothing..
good luck, have fun, don't get discouraged when you crash, because you will, alot, but they wont all hurt like the one on aline..

May 9, 2003
Thanks Shootr, I'll keep that progression in mind when I get to the local dj's in the next few days. I hammered my FF helmet on that A-line crash, and am getting a Giro Mad Max in a few days on e.p., so I'm looking forward to that. I must admit that I'm more intimidated for some reason by the hand releases, but I know I'll try them soon. Can't wait till next season when we both have season passes!! When if ever do you plan to come down to the good 'ol USA for some riding? You have a place to crash when you do, so keep it in mind Bro!:monkey: