Quantcast

I like bacon!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So I have dealt with Jenson a few times in the past...got into a pissing contest over shipping fees a few years ago (Free shipping to APO...I am in Germany, with an APO box. I order a bunch of stuff and they wont waive the shipping because they say I dont have a valid APO box because the zip code is out of NY...sitting at the phone in Germany trying to explain the military postal system to some clown in whothefucknowswhereistan and he tells me that they cant do anything about it. Fine...keep the order, you just lost my business.)
Havent used them since.

Fast forward a few years...I need some tools, cables and tubes, and want a new cassette (Need new excuses for riding like a one legged blind man in a hailstorm...) for a stable member. I figure since I am stateside I will at least check their site, along with a few others. Of course, Jenson is the only one that has all the crap I need. So I, against my better judgement, place the order. They have a credit card # saved of mine, an ancient one, and I plow through the order without thinking about it. Then when I get the receipt via email, I realize, Awww crap..wrong card...

I try to call them...sit on hold for 20 + minutes (Although they kept telling me my wait time would be 5 mins...) and while I am sitting on the phone I also log in to the site and try to go up on immediate messaging...which takes 5 minutes simply to get acknowledged. When the guy asks "How can I help..." I tell him and then he was apparently abducted by aliens because he never returned. I sit in line for another eternity and finally fire off a fuck you message to hi, sign off AND hang up the phone which I was still sitting on waiting for someone, anyone to explain to me why my wait time was only 5 minutes and what kind a clock they were using in Jensonland.

Toady I get an email from them telling me that lo and behold...the card didnt work. I call again...holy carp, a 5 minute wait! Or, I can press 1 and leave a message, and they will call me back quickly. I press 1. That was 4 hours ago...no call back. I am sure there is something pressing in Corona or wherever their phone banks are. Maybe incoming rockets or mortar fire.

But I have faith that some little Oompa Loompa working for them is having trouble getting his or her little Oompa Loompa fingers working today, and they will call me back soonest and rectify the situation and soothe my angry customeritis...so if you are looking for me, I will be sitting by my phone, eagerly awaiting their call.

And when/if they do call, I will tell them to eat a dick. A dirty dick.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I got my SB6c from them and had no issues plus 3 day shipping for free. I didnt ttust the build the way I did the bike I got from Competitive Cyclist because the repack was a bit rough, still no complaints.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
With the Pound continues fall I would think its worth looking at UK online shops. I know Shimano has been much cheaper for long.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had them fix stuff before on an order, no issues. I feel like a significant amount of my income goes to CRC and Jenson. The only thing that pisses me off is the jenson coupons are pretty much worthless, because there are no full price items or the coupon doesn't apply to the few that are.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Universal cycles is my go to for consumables. Wait until I have $300 worth in my cart and use their VIP15 coupon for 15% and get free shipping.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Postscript.

While at my kids XC meet, got a call from Lee at Jenson. I was ready to be a prick with him regarding the situation but he was such a nice guy that I was talked right back in off the ledge and gave him the new card # and he placed the order. Good dude, verbal judoed me right down...should have the goods next week.

Perhaps I have a tendency to be too hasty with my rage...but I am Irish. Maybe I should drink more.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I like Jenson a lot. Most of the time when I order stuff I get it the next morning. Since there only like 150 miles away. It's so close to instant gratification.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Jenson has superb price matching, too. I never had a single issue with them. Universal cycles are great, too. Most of the east coast shops, tho... :twitch:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yeah. I've had good luck. They happily handled a warranty issue on some crappy TLD gloves. Speedy shipping to Vancouver. They've also given me discounts with a bit of schmoozing.

Still way better than some of the BS I've dealt with locally.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've had nothing but good luck with them over the years, so I was surprised to see this. Glad to hear it ended well.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Last time I ordered off Jenson I was supposed to get free shipping and they billed me anyways. A call the next day and it was taken care of.

So moral of my story, it's only free shipping if you call and complain.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I've never had a single issue with Jenson.

Last week I placed an order for new XT brakes, paid for it via credit card, had the order confirmation and everything. I changed my mind the next day and needed to cancel the order (impulse drunk shopping the prior night, decide just to replace my levers and not buy complete brakes). I called, and while I think I did sit on hold for a while, as soon as I got to talk to somebody it was taken care of in less than two minutes.

Any order I've completed with them has processed and shipped quickly and painlessly.

But, Universal has been my virtual LBS for years. And now they're my real LBS, as they just opened a new location in Lancaster.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Ordered from Jenson once, placed the order, next day received email that item was on back order and they had no ETA, canceled order, then ordered same item from Price Point (RIP)

#coolstorybro

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's probably the place I order from the most. I'm actually kind of surprised with the credit card thing. I had the same problem happen (their ordering system does kind of suck, as it doesn't illustrate clearly the card they have on file when you checkout), and I called and less than 5 min later had it corrected over the phone.

I bought my Spitty from them, paid and picked up a complete bike two days later. They are about 20 min from me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ordered from Jenson once, placed the order, next day received email that item was on back order and they had no ETA, canceled order, then ordered same item from Price Point (RIP)

#coolstorybro
price point was good, but they lost a warranty claim of mine for several months.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I love when people get irate over other people's incompetence in fixing their incompetence.

FWIW, I've placed probably 20+ orders with Jenson over the past 15 years without a single issue. Then again, I'm not a fucktard and use a valid payment method.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
price point was good, but they lost a warranty claim of mine for several months.
I loved Price Point for their clearance section. Most the bike clothes I own came from them and I got them at a fraction of the actual price. Other bike sites mentioned on this thread are fine but almost everything is full price or barely discounted (and I'm just cheap).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I loved Price Point for their clearance section. Most the bike clothes I own came from them and I got them at a fraction of the actual price. Other bike sites mentioned on this thread are fine but almost everything is full price or barely discounted (and I'm just cheap).
yea overall i had good experiences, this was just a weird one. thankfully it wasn't an item i need replaced right away. but by the time they found it they were no longer a dealer for banshee, so i had to work directly with banshee for the warranty; it was only for a defective axle, and banshee was AWESOME.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm with JonKranked here. I order shit from them all the time and I've never had issues. Sounds like a one-off and user error.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Never ordered from Jenson's, but have a few friends who had used them for years with no complaints.

I love Universal Cycles website, probably even more than CRC. The selection and small parts stuff is great.

I used Tree Fort Bikes a few times, mostly for their price matching system. Its pretty cool when you can see what others price matched for, saves a lot of time.

Now Cambria Bikes.......Good lord does their site suck balls.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
@jonKranked:

No swag, save for a couple of stickers.

It's primarily a warehouse with a small retail space in the front. Parts and accessories only, no complete bikes and no service. Their primary reason for opening was to decrease shipping times for orders on the east coast. What they don't have in stock, they can get from QBP just down the road.

Shipping to you and a big chunk of the east coast will now be one business day, provided they or QBP have the item in stock. If you're local, you have the option to order and pay online, and pick up in person.

So basically, it's perfect for somebody like me who doesn't use shops for service.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked:

No swag, save for a couple of stickers.

It's primarily a warehouse with a small retail space in the front. Parts and accessories only, no complete bikes and no service. Their primary reason for opening was to decrease shipping times for orders on the east coast. What they don't have in stock, they can get from QBP just down the road.

Shipping to you and a big chunk of the east coast will now be one business day, provided they or QBP have the item in stock. If you're local, you have the option to order and pay online, and pick up in person.

So basically, it's perfect for somebody like me who doesn't use shops for service.
yea i figured it was to cut down ship times. had no idea QBP had a warehouse there too.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Must have used your AARP card.

Postcript-

Recieved order, 4 days later than promised. One item back ordered even though it marked as in stock. Called, questioned it and got a $10 off coupon to make me feel better. Like I will use it...