Quantcast

I love gas.......

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
Good news............I got my whip up in the air.

Bad news? I'm going to average about 10 mpg until I can gear up.

Oh well, I'm only young and dumb once.

MIzzle

Attachments

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
so you lifted your truck, put big tires on it, and your stoked about your sh!tty mileage? one quick question. whats the ratio of miles where you will be using your tires and lift to how many miles you will be on pavement? and do those numbers make it worth all the money your wasting on gas? by the way. just thought id let you know that youre missing a bumper

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and you got a ford. :disgust1:

if you're gonna get something big, at least get a diesel. a non diesel full size truck is like joe schmoe putting a wing on his car and all of a sudden thinking he's pinkshirtphoto/nascar man.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
My Jeep after the lift(3") and larger tires(33") and removing the cat stayed at about 15mpg. Once I get new axles and much larger tires I will lose some mileage. I really do not care with a Jeep it is not mpg it is fun per gallon.

Please do not ever use the word whip to talk about a car or truck:disgust1:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
wow, please tell me that you don't actually believe that, do you? why is it that when you put Orin Hatch's quote into google (with corresponding quotation marks) all you get is 5 links that has this exact same sales pitch (ie, it doesn't exist anywhere else on the web)?

Similarly, when you google the WSJ quote: "America would become the world's single biggest oil source, exceeding Saudi Arabia's proven reserves of 261 billion barrels" you also only get links back to this article (ie, the WSJ doesn't have it in any of their own articles).

:plthumbsdown:

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Why would you lift that big truck?

Sell that buy a little Tacoma ( best would be a t100 4 cylinder) or Ranger, lift it.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
wow, please tell me that you don't actually believe that, do you? why is it that when you put Orin Hatch's quote into google (with corresponding quotation marks) all you get is 5 links that has this exact same sales pitch (ie, it doesn't exist anywhere else on the web)?

Similarly, when you google the WSJ quote: "America would become the world's single biggest oil source, exceeding Saudi Arabia's proven reserves of 261 billion barrels" you also only get links back to this article (ie, the WSJ doesn't have it in any of their own articles).

:plthumbsdown:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600161048,00.html

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

Walter L. Youngquist, 1997

Myth: There are billions of barrels of oil which can be readily recovered from oil shale in the U.S.

As the United States has the world's largest and richest deposits of oil shale, the optimistic statements which sometimes arise from that fact are among the more commonly heard in regard to the U.S. energy future. An enthusiastic article about oil shale in the prestigious Fortune magazine is titled: "Shale Oil is Braced for Big Role." It concludes, "Shale oil is not the whole answer to the energy problem but it's one of the few pieces that is already within the nation's grasp."(l9) The article was written in 1979. As of 1997 no oil from oil shale is being produced in the U.S.... or anywhere else.

Reality:

The supposedly great prospects for the production of oil from oil shale in the United States has been one of the most widely promoted and heard energy myths for many years. Statements even made by government agencies can be quite misleading. These arise perhaps because it is good government policy to take as optimistic view as possible toward any national problem. The statements also are due to a less than careful examination of the facts, and perhaps a bit of promotion for the agency involved. The statement is made by a U.S. government organization that "...using demonstrated methods of extraction, recovery of about 80 billion barrels of oil from accessible high-grade deposits of the Green River Formation is possible at costs competitive with petroleum of comparable quality."(l2) This is a clear misstatement of the facts. At the time it was written (1981) there had been no demonstrated methods of oil recovery at costs competitive with oil of comparable quality, nor have there been any such methods demonstrated to this date. A variety of processes have been tried. All have failed. Unocal, Exxon, Occidental Petroleum, and other companies and the U.S. Bureau of Mines have made substantial efforts but with no commercial results.

A state government agency issued a pamphlet on oil shale stating, "The deposits are estimated to contain 562 billion barrels of recoverable oil. This is more than 64 percent of the world's total proven crude oil reserves."(29) The implication here is that the oil which could be "recoverable" could be produced at a net energy profit as if it were barrels of oil from a conventional well. The average citizen seeing this statement in a government publication is led to believe that the United States really has no oil supply problem when oil shales hold "recoverable oil" equal to "more than 64 percent of the world's total proven crude oil reserves." Presumably the United States could tap into this great oil reserve at any time. This is not true at all. All attempts to get this "oil" out of shale have failed economically. Furthermore, the "oil" (and, it is not oil as is crude oil, but this is not stated) may be recoverable but the net energy recovered may not equal the energy used to recover it. If oil is "recovered" but at a net energy loss, the operation is a failure. Also, the environmental impacts of developing shale oil, especially related to the available water supply (the headwaters of the already over used Colorado river), and the disposal of wastes, do not seem manageable, at least at the present time, and perhaps not all.

The clear implication of both of these government statements is that oil shale is a huge readily available source. Because of the enormous amount of "oil" which has been claimed that could be recovered, this gives a large sense of energy security which does not exist. For this reason it is a particularly dangerous myth.

http://www.greatchange.org/ov-youngquist,myths_and_realities.html