Quantcast

I love my dog

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
...But hate the vet bills, She has been limoing now for about a week, just a little at first, but yesterday she couldnt even put her foot on the ground. Couple Xrays later, we find she has blown out her left hind knee. gonna be about 2k for surgery. In the meantime we had to order a brace for her which will be in in about two days which is another hundred bucks. All this six months after she has surgery on her right hind leg to remove a deeply enbedded splinter which got infected, totalled about 1k. Man this sucks, seven year old lab mix, lots of life left in her. Harder for me and my wife to say no to something like this, seeing how we cannot have kids, and The Dog is like one of the Family. Oh well, Its only money, cant take it with me, so might as well be something worthwhile

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
We got our first dog just a little over one year ago. After 2 days home he started showing signs of PARVO and we walked away with $1k in vet bills on a dog we only had for 2 days. Still got him and while he's the bane of my wife's life at home I think he's swell!!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
We got our first dog just a little over one year ago. After 2 days home he started showing signs of PARVO and we walked away with $1k in vet bills on a dog we only had for 2 days. Still got him and while he's the bane of my wife's life at home I think he's swell!!
Swell?
Golly, Mrs. Cleaver....can the Beav and Wally come out and play? :biggrin:

Over the last 5 years, we've racked up a few grand in doggie-emergencies. It happens if you have an active dog.....wouldn't think twice about paying it again, either. He's just like a really fuzzy human that can't talk or open pop top cans........

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
my 2 year old lab has had quite a bit in vet bills...broken toe, ear infection, ringworms...seems like there was something else, but i can't remember right now

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thats all pretty crazy stuff to deal with. At least you guys are willing to try and help the animals.

My girlfriend works as a manager/head tech of a vet clinic and there are so many people who would rather euthanize their pet then try to help them live; even for really minor things... I hear about it every day. Its pretty sad. Good on you guys who actually care about the pets you have.

My parents have put 4k into there cats last vet visit. He was bit in the face by a huge rattle snake. Crazy he actually survived.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Taking my pup in to have a cancerous tumor removed. It should be a simple procedure I just hope that is the extent of it.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
What makes me even more angry is the fact that these surgeries are very, very similar to human surgeries... A blown out knee for a dog: $2,000...

...a blown out knee for a human... could be $500,000 over your lifetime.

Absolutely outrageous. The AMA is a government supported monopoly.

lost my choc lab at 12 years old about a year ago now, man that hurt. because his health had gone down hill so much i thought i was more ready for it than i was. i wish all i had to do was pay $2000 to get him back.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thats all pretty crazy stuff to deal with. At least you guys are willing to try and help the animals.

My girlfriend works as a manager/head tech of a vet clinic and there are so many people who would rather euthanize their pet then try to help them live; even for really minor things... I hear about it every day. Its pretty sad. Good on you guys who actually care about the pets you have.

My parents have put 4k into there cats last vet visit. He was bit in the face by a huge rattle snake. Crazy he actually survived.
We just had to put our other puppy down, 16 year old Dauschound<SP> tumors everywhere, could barely walk, no teeth left, couldnt even go outside on her own. That one wasnt so bad. Still hurt and sucked, but sometimes it really is for the best.

As far as Keida goes, little more backgroud for everyone, Lab/antique Sharpei mix, Great dog, well trained, might as well human. like i said earlier she is seven years old now and an active dog, Hell she even goes on rides with me, well not anymore, but man she actually goes over to the bike ans starts whining at me to take her for a ride, not on the bike, but to chase me down the trail. It really is like riding with the kids, which we cant have. Anyways, Sad part is the vet is already preparing us that within the next year he expects the other knee to need teh same surgery. We have actually been pretty lucky as far as Vet costs have been, Over the last seven years, not counting the upcoming knee surgery we have been under 600 dollars. Oh well, you know going into it they arent going to last as long as people do, guess no matter how much you prepare for that, you always forget it till the times comes.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
One of the guys in the shop lives with his GF and both of them have schedules too hectic to keep a dog, but they both grew up and love big dogs. As a compromise they spend a few days a month volunteering for a local brooklyn animal rescue and get their doggie fix there.
Whether it's time or $$$, it's all good in the end. Hope all of y'alls poochies heal up right.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Kona has cost us a good bit. We've had him for 3.5yrs:

$85 donation to the shelter we rescued him from
$150 in tolls and gas to drive 7hrs to pick him up
$600 for emergency care while on Cape Cod for pancreantitis
$500 for emergency care for a battle with a porcupine
$200 for treatment for lead poisoning after her chewed on some deer guts
$600 for removal of a tumor/skin tag

All in all not too bad and wouldn't think twice about paying to keep him healthy/happy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dropped the dog off for surgery this morning. They asked me if I was willing to to shell out like $30 for pain killers. It blew me away that people wouldn't shell out the dough for pain killers. Dogs are a hell of a lot tougher than people but still.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I'd go into debt over my baby girl. Before I got her I thought people who dropped money on dogs were crazy, now I think I'm crazy too. We are lucky with her though. She's super active but aside from a nasty bump falling off a deck as a baby, and chronic ear infections, she's always been super healthy. She's such an awesome dog, she doesn't even give me trouble during her weekly ear flushes.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Here's to good health for all of your canine (and feline) friends.

My six year old lab mix (Hannah) has thankfully been healthy with just annual vet bills and an introduction to a porcupine that didn't go so well.

My almost ten year old lab (Jake) has been another story...several bouts of pancreatitis one which required an overnight stay, skin infection, ear infection, bilateral cataract surgery and a blood clot in his hind leg that had him in ICU at Tufts for three and a half days. The latter two within a span of three weeks and $$$$. But he's my best friend and trail buddy and as long as I'm not prolonging any suffering on his behalf then it is money well spent (errr...thank you Visa, Discover,...). Add on the prescription dog food, plus several medications he'll be on for the rest of his life. But he's one heck of a trooper - has always bounced back with a super strong spirit. I can only pray that he continues to do so for a while. I dread the day that awaits in the future.