Quantcast

I love Oakley, but...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What a coincidence, I just picked up a pair of polarized Straight Jackets at lunch today.

As expensive as they are, Oakleys fit, feel and perform way better than any sunglasses I've ever used. Worth the coin IMO (but those ones posted are plain dumb).

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Some douche that makes 35K a year probably has 2-3 sets of these to go with his affliction tees and coordinated lip gloss.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Damn...I was going to buy another 2000 Subaru wagon til I saw these...in fact...I spent half that on my daughter's Daewoo!!!!

I guess the Ben Bernanke is right...the recession really is over!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I didn't even see that. Hell, I wanted a pair to keep in each of my Veyrons.
I think they're just terrified of what would happen if one person possessed more than one pair's worth of awesome.

It would be the end of the species. Women would snub all other men. World leaders would cower in fear. Our very social structure as a species would re-form, to put the wearer of these glasses at the top.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Man, Oakley sure does things differently...

I had the Medusa (with goggles!) and the Over The Tops. And the leather-wrapped X-Metal Mars from Fight Club.
Bought them on eBay pretty cheaply, kept them for a bit, then was able to sell them for a profit as collector's items. Although I still wish I'd kept the Medusa and the Mars...

Those are insane. $4K for a pair of glasses?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Been in the eyewear business for 14 years now, thats been the estimate for years now but I think the increase in price of eyewear over the years is slowly driving that estimate up.

Still can you remember all the frames you lost or destroyed? I destroyed a pair in on day once.

This is why I only buy sunglasses that are $20-$30.

Ive bought cheaper than that and they seem to give me headaches. I've had a few pairs of nicer ones that are now lying at the bottom of some river or lake, or got smashed in a car door or simply misplaced never to be seen again.

I honestly dont find much difference in the cheaper ones I buy, and the nice ones Ive had.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Been in the eyewear business for 14 years now, thats been the estimate for years now but I think the increase in price of eyewear over the years is slowly driving that estimate up.

Still can you remember all the frames you lost or destroyed? I destroyed a pair in on day once.
hmm interesting fact.

yeah, i remember 1 pair that ive broken, but never lost any.
my mother drove over a pair of my Oakley Magnesium Switch's...the frame broke, but the lenses were still in tact.

i have 10 pairs of sunglasses now

hmm interesting fact.

i have 10 pairs of sunglasses now
Collecting frames and keeping them maintained is something I'm seeing more and more of. Ppeople are always gonna drop 2,3 or 400 bucks for frames, lose them and come back and buy some more.

Oakley has a great warranty policy, and the Oakley fans are just gonna keep buying them including this $4000 frame which has some pretty nice details from a design and function aspect. Cost is mostly in tooling and manufacturing, by my calculations this frame is some where in the $300 to $450 range to produce. Could be a lot less if they do absolutely everything in house. They will sell every single one they make.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I had (finally left them in a hotel room) a pair of Oakleys for about 7 years. I can't tell you how many times I've crushed them where the arms would pop off. But they always popped back in just fine. Once I stepped on them and both arms came off and both lenses popped out. Put it all back together and good as new (ask BadDNA he was a witness). Oakleys are the worth the every penny.

Oh and one thing about cheap sunglasses: the UV protection wears off leaving your eyes worse off then wearing nothing at all.