Quantcast

I love sram's CS!

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
So, the hussefelt/howitzer cranks that came on my new howler developed some play, I semi-he-man tighened (~1.5 times recomened torque)the crank bolt, it went away for a ride and came back. I pulled them and the splines looked worn like they were 2-3 years old. I called up sram, and after explaining only that (^) much to them, the dude said he was sending a new crankset and BB out today in a box that was prepaid for me to ship the old cranks and BB back in, and that i could toss my old juicy 5's (that I've had the RA# for and have been meaning to ship off for forever...) in with the cranks!
for anyone thinking about buying a sram/rockshox/avid/truvative product: go for it, and know that big brother's got your back! i hope other bike co.s take a lession from this.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
a friend of mine had a similar experience. went to the LBS expecting to buy new cranks. they called sram, sram sent out a new set of cranks (arm, bb and rings) w/o question.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
^ reasons #1252 and 1253 why i run rock shox forks, avid brakes, sram drivetrains and truvativ cranksets on all my bikes.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Truvativ has always been the bomb. Even before they were with SRAM.
I wouldn't say always. The first few sets of Hussefelt cranks w/ Isis that I saw were crappy. Other than that my experiences with their stuff has been really good. Really happy to see that they have turned RS around too.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I also have to give a big thumbs up to Sram’s customer service. I broke an X9 derailleur, and when I went to my LBS to buy a new derailleur, one of the guys who works there told me to bring in my broken derailleur and he would call Sram to see if they would warranty it.

Much to my amazement, Sram told the manager of the bike shop to send it in and they would send out a free replacement. The manager of the shop handed me a brand new X9 and said they would keep the replacement when it came in…

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
srams the man! i sanded down some hussefelts and grinded off the 64mm mounts and then stripped the pedal insert and still got new ones in the same week. their stuff works awsome too.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I wouldn't say always. The first few sets of Hussefelt cranks w/ Isis that I saw were crappy. Other than that my experiences with their stuff has been really good. Really happy to see that they have turned RS around too.
That's true. The first iterations of Hussefelt's were way too soft. But they warrantied them no problem.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I can also vouch for sram's customer service as well... numerous occasions where they go out of there way to make things right. If they don't have a part for warranty they can find it for you (distributor) and compensate the shop otherwise, be it chains or cassettes or whatever to offset the costs of the ordered part.

Personally; they warrantied numerous sets of rotors and pads trying to remedy my rotor issues with my juicies.

they do have good customer service

J

J5ive

Good CS. But, the cranks are shi*e. They need to rework the design. Its just not holding up.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's true. The first iterations of Hussefelt's were way too soft. But they warrantied them no problem.
Unless you had to go through the old Oz distributor. I ran White Industries XC cranks on my DH bike for two years before I bent the left hand arm in a crash that broke the pedal and bent an Azonic handlebar. Replaced the cranks with a set of burly looking Hussefelts, only to bend the right hand arm in a berm so bad it wouldn't clear the frame. No impact, nothing, just an arm bent inwards. The Ozzie distributor rejected the warranty claim on the basis the crank had been abused.... Yay. I still won't run anything with Truvativ written on it.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Sram rules so much.

At nationals this year they bled both of my juicy 7's , gave me a free set of brake pads, and even upgraded my 2005 brakes to the 2007 anodized red aluminum pad wear adjuster

all free.

When I blew up the rebound basevalve oin my boxxer, not only did they have the base valve sent out to me the day of my phone call, but instead just offered to replace the entire internals for me.

all free.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
once you get used to the thumb only, you'll never go back.
Yea, I was a holdout for shimano shifters for a while. Really preferred using my index finger rather than taking my thumb off the bar while sprinting (same reason rapid-rise doesn't make sense).

Eventually a friend recommended I trim the lever and run the shifter closer to the grip. Now I can shift with my thumb fully around the bar just by cocking my wrist (moto style) and banging the trigger with my knuckle. Since I cut about 1/4" off the longer lever (and re-shaped it a bit) it doesn't get in the way either.