Quantcast

I love the new RM Skin

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The layout isn't bad, and I actually think the new banner at the top looks slick.

My only complaint would be the use of what appears to be Arial Narrow, or some other font where the character spacing is reduced. For those of us who run fairly high desktop resolutions (1280x1024 here), it's fairly difficult to read. Not awful, just harder than a normal Arial font. This is just on the forum and topic listings, everywhere else that it's used is fine.

Is it my imagination, or has the gap between posts gotten larger?

New color scheme is good, I like the greys.

...oh, wait, was that too constructive? I meant, "CHANGE SUX0RS, PUT IT BACK TEH WAY IT WAS!!!11one1"

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It's actually just Helvetica, nothing fancy. It does appear smaller than arial though, so I will be tweaking it a bit. I'm on 1920 x 1200, so I definitely know what you mean.

binary visions said:
The layout isn't bad, and I actually think the new banner at the top looks slick.

My only complaint would be the use of what appears to be Arial Narrow, or some other font where the character spacing is reduced. For those of us who run fairly high desktop resolutions (1280x1024 here), it's fairly difficult to read. Not awful, just harder than a normal Arial font. This is just on the forum and topic listings, everywhere else that it's used is fine.

Is it my imagination, or has the gap between posts gotten larger?

New color scheme is good, I like the greys.

...oh, wait, was that too constructive? I meant, "CHANGE SUX0RS, PUT IT BACK TEH WAY IT WAS!!!11one1"

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
<snip>
My only complaint would be the use of what appears to be Arial Narrow, or some other font where the character spacing is reduced. For those of us who run fairly high desktop resolutions (1280x1024 here), it's fairly difficult to read. Not awful, just harder than a normal Arial font.
How about using a fixed-width font like Courier? :think:

:D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I like the new look. I run hi-res settings on all my puters, and yes... helvetica could use some tweaking. I personally like plain old verdana at 8-10pt... but that's just me.

I'm digging the banner at the top... nice job. Colors are also good, not quite dead on yet for my tastes, but they get better with every tweak.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ALEXIS_DH said:
bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha....
the most disturbing avatar on ridemonkey IMO is that of a dudes face photochopped with anne chaussons face.. thats kinda freaky..
The severed head on a fence post is pretty near the top for me.

Not that I'm upset about my severed finger avatar getting killed...

:think:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
RM - one other thing... I have dial-up at home, so I do most of my surfing with images disabled. Not sure if you care about us dial-up folks, but the background at the top (where the banner image would be) is a very light grey, and the white text on top of it is REALLY hard to read.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
jacksonpt said:
RM - one other thing... I have dial-up at home, so I do most of my surfing with images disabled. Not sure if you care about us dial-up folks, but the background at the top (where the banner image would be) is a very light grey, and the white text on top of it is REALLY hard to read.
Ah, good observation. Thanks!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Ridemonkey said:
It's actually just Helvetica, nothing fancy. It does appear smaller than arial though, so I will be tweaking it a bit. I'm on 1920 x 1200, so I definitely know what you mean.
I would suggest switching strictly to Verdana or Tahoma. Both these fonts were developed specifically for online viewing, something neither Helvetica nor Arial were designed for. My personal preference is Verdana, but Tahoma works well too.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
nuhuh :nope:

everything kicks ass except for a few small things, puke green, the top logo, and the text on the "sponsor links" bar that is dropping below its borders...

ugh cant get over the olive color.
Design is subjective. I think the olive color loks great.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ALEXIS_DH said:
yeah, kinda like the option on xp that makes your desktop text look fuzzy. gets tiresome after a little bit

good outlined letters are easier to read.
You're only supposed to use that on LCD monitors... It looks great on them.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Changleen said:
Hold down Ctrl and scroll your mouse.
What does changing the text size in IE have to do with what I found? Still happens no matter what size the text size is. Besides, that doesn't affect text that is formatted using style sheets.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I like Olive too.

I run 1600 x 1440 at home (laptop) and 2 x 1920 x 1440 at work. All these fools chatting 'bout 1280 x 1024 bein' 'high res' are living in the 80s. Buy a proper monitor.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i dig it. the only things i don't like is the white bar between messages, and the grey on the Webcyclery add not matching the grey on the RM banner.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
pixelninja said:
What does changing the text size in IE have to do with what I found? Still happens no matter what size the text size is. Besides, that doesn't affect text that is formatted using style sheets.
Change your res then, lazy. What more important, your eyes or RM? :rolleyes: