Quantcast

i love the soun

J

JRB

I never understood feeding once a day. If my horse was pastured, I fed grain once a day and they could graze. If I were a dog and my owner fed me once a day, I'd bite them.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
i guess im a bad dog owner, will someone call animal control on me please!!!!!!!!!!

feeing once a day isnt bad for a dog (if they get high quality food), chyna gets treats when i get home and she is an indoor dog so she spends most of her day sleeping on the bed till i get home and take her for a 2-3 mile walk.......

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/feeding.htm its a good read, try it

does she look starved to you guys?

Attachments

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
No, actually she looks a little heavy, but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

I guess gorging yourself right before bed will do that. Don't post a thread like this without expecting to get some backlash... especially when you knwo there are some animal lovers around. And my point about eating once a day isn't that you are starving the dog, it's that it's unhealthy.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I feed my dogs twice. They get a good quality kibble in the morning and green beans at night when we have dinner. Beans have almost no nutritional value so they won't get fat, but it fills their bellies.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
jacksonpt said:
Don't post a thread like this without expecting to get some backlash......
i expect that with every post on the internet.......but it doesnt upset me or bother me one bit, im a big boy and can take it.........

she is a about 2# overweight the vet said she needs to be about 68-70# and she is at 72#..........but i didnt think about the eating food before bed would make her sick, thanks for the idea about that.......it might have been the bone she was chewing on that night also......

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
dirtydirtysouf said:
i expect that with every post on the internet.......but it doesnt upset me or bother me one bit, im a big boy and can take it.........

she is a about 2# overweight the vet said she needs to be about 68-70# and she is at 72#..........but i didnt think about the eating food before bed would make her sick, thanks for the idea about that.......it might have been the bone she was chewing on that night also......
ah, bones always make my dogs sick.

then again, damn near everything makes one of them sick...

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
jacksonpt said:
ah, bones always make my dogs sick.

then again, damn near everything makes one of them sick...
i know what it is now after thinking of what was in the puke.....a rawhide chewy that my GF left over when she brought the lil'fawn boxer over.......damn it..........i need to look for those after they leave cause thats what had to make her sick.........thanks for making me think about this:clue:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Coal, the gigantic cat, gets 1 can of food in the morning with some crunchy treats and his insulin shot. And then a half can around 10pm.

However, if he is hungry earlier then he will start getting under foot and being a bother. If that doesn't work he then pulls the throw up routine.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
dirtydirtysouf said:

Maybe it's morning sickness. Do you have a milkman?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I used to just do the keep food in the bowl method.

they would eat when they wanted to.

Now I have to feed them twice a day, because if I keep the food in the bowl, they eat it all.........

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MudGrrl said:
I used to just do the keep food in the bowl method.

they would eat when they wanted to.

Now I have to feed them twice a day, because if I keep the food in the bowl, they eat it all.........

my dog stops eating when she isn't hungry anymore too. i feed her twice a day but some days she just doesn't want dinner and eats it for breakfast.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Since you have a vet, ask him or her how often a dog should be fed to have a long, happy, and healthy life, not just what it needs to survive.

If all you did was eat, poop, and sleep, you'd want to eat more than once a day.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I feed my dog once a day, first thing in the morning, then give her a few treats here and there through out the day. I don't see what the problem is. Think about it:

Their closest non-domesticated relative the wolf only eats when they can catch something. You think they get 3 square meals a day? They are lucky if they get one meal a day. As a result of the fickle nature of hunting, wolves have evolved a metabolism that allows them to go long periods of time without eating.

Anyway if you look at it from an evolutionary point of view, I think feeding once a day sort of mimics their natural hunting behavior of the canine species. But whatever, as long is the dog is happy and fit, I think you are fine no matter how you choose to do it.

If on the other hand, if you wake up in the middle of the night and your dog is gnawing on your leg, you really ought to think about feeding it more and more often. ;)

Edit: OG - I have asked my vet about it and she said that once or twice a day, either way was fine.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
OGRipper said:
Since you have a vet, ask him or her how often a dog should be fed to have a long, happy, and healthy life, not just what it needs to survive.

If all you did was eat, poop, and sleep, you'd want to eat more than once a day.
i have done that, she said you can feed her 3 cups a day

1. 1.5 cups morning and night
2. 3 cups at one time
3. 1 cup 3 times a day

she said as long as she gets the food it doesnt matter if i split it up or do it at one time, its the quality of the food also not just the quantity

i took this rescued boxer from 35# (skin and bone) to the fat 72#'s you see before you:love:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dirtydirtysouf said:

2. 3 cups at one time
3. 1 cup 3 times a day

she said as long as she gets the food it doesnt matter if i split it up or do it at one time, its the quality of the food also not just the quantity
This is exactly what my vet said as well (see the edit in my post above). It is the amount, not the frequency that matters.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dirtydirtysouf said:

2. 3 cups at one time
3. 1 cup 3 times a day

i took this rescued boxer from 35# (skin and bone) to the fat 72#'s you see before you:love:
Cool, good to know. And good for you with the rescue.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
OGRipper said:
Cool, good to know. And good for you with the rescue.
yea this is my "first" dog so she is spoiled:love: :love: .........it took her 2 week once i got her in my apt for me to even really get to pet her. she would let me take her out for potty breaks but that was about it............she now cant stand to be away from me, if i get up to take a piss at night she crawls off the bed and lays across the bathroom door way.........i dont know how maytimes i have triped over her at night:rofl:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I just make sure there is some food in my dog's bowl... I dont have a schedule or anything. He doesnt eat it all. Vet says his weight is fine.