Quantcast

I love to build/live in this style of house...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Transcend said:
Ya it is indeed ugly, but from an engineering standpoint it is friggin' awesome.

Have you actually been inside?
I don't like the colors so much. I've been to the Bilbao Guggenheim, very cool, spent more time looking at the building than collections. I like Gehry but wish they all didn't look the same.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Transcend said:
Yep. There are a few really interesting exhibits, like exploring the Seattle and Bellingham music scenes, and a few dumb ones like playing an immovable guitar. That and it's way overpriced for the content.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Transcend said:
Ya it is indeed ugly, but from an engineering standpoint it is friggin' awesome.

From an engineering standpoint, Fallingwater has been falling down for the last 20 years. There is a story where the building contractor secretly inserted rebar into the concrete slabs because Wright insisted that they were strong enough without it.

For many years, there were support pillars holding up Fallingwater. But engineers have rebuilt the slabs and I believe Fallingwater is now support-free.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kinghami3 said:
Yep. There are a few really interesting exhibits, like exploring the Seattle and Bellingham music scenes, and a few dumb ones like playing an immovable guitar. That and it's way overpriced for the content.
Nice, just asking as I am genuinely curious. The special on it was mostly about the building, and was wondering what the content itself was actually like. All they showed was the gigantic video wall.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OGRipper said:
I don't like the colors so much. I've been to the Bilbao Guggenheim, very cool, spent more time looking at the building than collections. I like Gehry but wish they all didn't look the same.

The bilbao is really nice as well, but I agree, same type of building (although aesthetically I prefer the Bilboa).

go go discovery specials.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
cool looking houses... i like basic "country houses" location is more inmportant to me that the house.. i want water 100' ft of the back of my house

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stinkyboy said:
I'd never read that. Are you sure?

Perhaps not Falling Water but other residence he designed are known for their low ceilings. Wright was a pretty shot guy so he designed spaces to fit him not nessessarly anyone else. Now days the minimum is 8'..

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yes Falling water has low ceilings, used to add to the closeness to nature feel, and to emphsize certain areas with higher ceilings. The building was an engineering marvel.

sanjuro,
From an engineering standpoint, Fallingwater has been falling down for the last 20 years. There is a story where the building contractor secretly inserted rebar into the concrete slabs because Wright insisted that they were strong enough without it.

For many years, there were support pillars holding up Fallingwater. But engineers have rebuilt the slabs and I believe Fallingwater is now support-free.
there were no supports as they did the work to reinforce the cantilevered sections, and it was still open to the public while under repair. The building is built in the Laurel mountains, and recieves pretty harsh conditions throughout the winter, with freeze and thaw, and LOTS of snow... I have not found any reference to a contractor putting in rebar, although most of the problems with the house stemmed from exposed concrete suffering from frost heave problems.
If you are into architecture and are in the Pittsburgh area check it out!