Quantcast

I loves me some pie.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Second batch w/ the sourdough starter. This batch used 1/4 cup of starter. cooked for 10 minutes on the middle rack at 550 on a pizza screen.

Basil and Onion

nice and brown

Side shot

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The cheese is just some mix of cheese I had from making mac and cheese last week. I didn't feel like going to the store so I just used what I had on hand. Onion, basil, sauce and that cheese.

plus, not having a job right now puts a damper on my quality cheese purchases....:(

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
heat and cooking time depends on the dough and type of pizza.

some guys do 30 minute pies and some folks do 1:00 minute pies at 825 degrees. It all depends on what your looking for, cooking for.....

when I use my pizza stone I cook them around 6-7 minutes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I want to try one of those screens. I need to replace my stone so... For cheese I use 1 ball of fresh mozzarela and a scoop of fresh riccotta (6-8oz). About 3$. I thinly slice the mozz and then dribble the riccotta. Mmm homemade pie!!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
where do you get cheese so cheap? or is that for one pie and you have to pay seven bucks for the entire block? I realize it's not that much $$$ but with no income and a bunch of bills, it starts to cut into my beer fund....;)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
where do you get cheese so cheap? or is that for one pie and you have to pay seven bucks for the entire block? I realize it's not that much $$$ but with no income and a bunch of bills, it starts to cut into my beer fund....;)
A Italian deli across town (Rubinos on Ridge Rd in the ROC). They also sell good bread, homemade sauce by the pint, and tripe.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
I'm a pizza puritan, pepperoni only. That pic just doesn't do it for me. I bet the smell is much better.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
Last week I did a pie on the stone in the ol' gas grill. Both burners on full blast; I'd estimate the temp to be in the 525-550 degree range based on the short cooking time. And good lord, what a crust- quite possibly the best I've ever made crunchy and chewy in equal, delicious measures. Next time-pics.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Last week I did a pie on the stone in the ol' gas grill. Both burners on full blast; I'd estimate the temp to be in the 525-550 degree range based on the short cooking time. And good lord, what a crust- quite possibly the best I've ever made crunchy and chewy in equal, delicious measures. Next time-pics.
recipe?:cheers:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Here's roughly how I grill pizza:

- Pick up one of the packages of dough from the grocery store. (You can make your own if you have the time and desire). Also purchase and assemble everything else you use for your pie. (I tend to use the grocery store pizza dough purely for convenience).

- Fire up the grill on a low setting and allow it time to heat.

- Shape your dough just as you would for your regular oven pie. I find that one package of dough makes one fairly decent sized pizza or 2 smaller individual ones should you need to make them with different toppings.

- Once shaped and ready for use, brush the entire top surface with olive oil and place it (oil side down) on the grill. Keep the heat low and watch closely as it can burn easily. After the first side is cooked to your liking, brush the second side with olive oil and cook as above. I recommend leaving one side slightly undercooked, as it will go back on the grill once you add sauce, cheese, etc.

- After your dough is cooked on both sides, remove it from the fire, and add your sauce, spices, cheese, toppings, etc. to the side cooked the most. The side that was left slightly undercooked should go down, as the pie is going back on the grill to melt the cheese and finish cooking.

- Place the pie back on the grill and watch it closely. If you are using really low flame you can close the top briefly if desired to help melt the cheese. Be careful, as it's a fine line between a perfect crust and a burnt one. Once the bottom darkens and crisps up remove from the fire and enjoy.

* Pizza on the grill comes out great. I don't use a stone, but cook it right on the grate, just keep the cooking surface as clean as possible and spray on Pam or whatever prior to igniting the flame.

* Use good sauce! Bad sauce can very easily ruin the pie.

* I prefer using pre-grilled peppers and onions instead of raw.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i've cooked plenty of pies on my grill. I was more intrested in your dough recipe....

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
i've cooked plenty of pies on my grill. I was more interested in your dough recipe....
Gotcha. The comments at the bottom of my post were mainly directed at anyone who had never grilled pizza before. I just pickup the ready-made dough when I make pizza because it saves a bunch of time and is very convenient.

I'll make my own one of these days.....

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
2nd attempt at homemade. :) Dough, sauce, everything but making the cheese! :)
Turned out really well...only I somehow got mint into the sauce...tasted a bit odd, but not bad really.

Attachments

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
looks good!

can you list the recipes? and cooking time and technique?

:)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
For sure! (It's more entertaining than accounting...ugh I hate the first of the month)

Dough : Makes enough for 1-16" + 1 - 12" thin crust
2 1/4 tsp Active dry Yeast
1/2 tsp Brown Sugar
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tblsp EVOO
3 1/3 cups flour

In large bowl, dissolve your yeast and sugar in warm water. Let sit 10 minutes (should get frothy on top)
Stir in your salt and oil
Mix in 2 1/2 cups of your flour
Turn your sticky dough out onto a well floured surface and knead in the reamaning flour. (I do this part differently, because I can't handle dough with my bare hands anymore - I was given a super high powered hand-held beater, and use dough hooks for the entire kneading process). I go until it has a smooth elastic texture, and doesn't stick to the inside of my bowl.

Place your dough in a well oiled bowl, cover wtih cloth and let rise 1 hour.

Punch down your dough and form into a tight bll.

Let it relax 1 minute before you start rolling and tossing. If dough stops responding to your ministrations, let it relax again for a minute or so.

Okay - so during the hour I have while the dough rises, I prepare my sauce first (so it gets the best flavor)

Sauce is: 1-6oz can of Tomato paste
6oz of warm water
3 tblspns parmesan cheese
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tblspns honey
1 tsp anchovy paste
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano (dried - or more, finely chopped straight from the garden)
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp pepper flakes

(spices I always do 'to taste'.

Mix everything in a bowl well, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.

I bake my pizza at 425 degrees F on a pre-heated stone.

The toppings on the pizza above are
Lotsa Mozza
Dry Italian Salami - spicy variety
Half of a medium onion, chopped
Half a green pepper, sliced thin and long
Two on-the-vine campari tomatoes, sliced very thin
black olives
fresh mushrooms

I toss it, sauce it, cheese it, pile on the toppings, and pile on the cheese again.

That pizza took me about 25 minutest to bake until the top layer of cheese started getting that golden look to it and the edges of the crust also became golden. :)

Cool slightly, get your biggest knife, slice it and eat!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
one thing I've been doing with my dough is to NOT add sugar and to use cold liquid. It takes longer to rise, but I also let my dough sit for at least 24 hours before cooking. And I don't proof my yeast.

My mom would be confused...:D

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I'm not confused - sounds like you make your dough like I make my best sourdough. To each their own. :)

I try to keep Pizza down to a one-night cooking event, rather than two nights of planning. So far this dough has been Excellent, so I've no reason to really change it at this point.

What I really need (and was discussing with Nobody earlier today) is better Mozza....generic storebought is so ...boring!