Quantcast

I made a thing - tubeless tire inflation device

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I made a tool to help inflate tubeless tires without a compressor, and it's pretty sweet. A simple (pictureless, because I'm lazy) DIY follows:

Materials required:

• An old shitty pump (I had a broken one kicking around)
  • 2' of 3" PVC pipe
  • 2 end caps for said PVC pipe
  • PVC cement
  • An old tube
  • A ball valve (I got one from Home Despot)
  • Some fittings
Steps:
  1. Open a beer
  2. Take your old tube, and cut the valve out. Leave a flange of tube around the base of the valve
  3. Drill a valve sized hole in one of the PVC end caps
  4. Stick the valve through the hole in the cap, and glue the tube flange to the inside of the cap. Secure the valve with one of those little knurled nuts that comes on the valve.
  5. Cut the hose and valve off your pump
  6. Throw the rest of the pump away
  7. Get another beer, yours is empty by now
  8. Cut a section off the hose from the pump
  9. Connect the valve end of the pump hose to the ball valve, then connect the other end of the ball valve to your second pipe cap using the chunk of hose you cut out in step 8, and your fittings
  10. Glue the pipe caps onto the pipe
  11. Wait a while
Once the glue's dry, you can pump the thing up with the ball valve closed, attach it to your tire, then open the ball valve and boom, inflated. You'll probably still need to take the valve core out of your tubeless setup, because presta valves don't flow worth shit. I've found that pumping the pipe bomb tool up to 90psi brings a strong wheel, normal width tire to about 25psi straight off.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's the beauty of it. I used push to connect fittings for the hose, so really all you'd need is another piece of pipe and and end cap and you'd have a potato shooting option.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
There's got to be a way to do this with fat mountain bike tires:
Good to see he keeps his safety glasses on the whole time.

You just have to add lots of sealant before ignition. That's really important! And a video cam. For us.
Again, remember to have your safety glasses on, and double check the video cam is recording.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I tried it with starting fluid. It didn't really work, I've done car tires and it just didn't get the same wump. Maybe not enough volume to work??? Gas can work too, ya just gotta spin the tire. Also a little trail of fuel up the side of the tire keeps you from burning or pinching your thumb.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I tried it with starting fluid. It didn't really work, I've done car tires and it just didn't get the same wump. Maybe not enough volume to work??? Gas can work too, ya just gotta spin the tire. Also a little trail of fuel up the side of the tire keeps you from burning or pinching your thumb.
You probably just need something more explosive. Keep us posted.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I could try acetaline and oxygen I guess but that already went bad for me once, so that's unlikely.
Now we start talking. Reminds me of my chemistry teacher's demo experiment for Redox and gas powered engines. There were alwys two pupils to actually do the demo and it was my turn back then. We had a 150 mm PU pipe, sealed at the bottom, a piece of cotton wool full of gas and a fitting plug made of polyurethane foam on top. There was a small hole right above the bottom. Now we simply moved a small tinder close to the hole and boom, combustion engine at work throwing the plug through the classroom. Everybody cheered. Teacher had a laugh and an idea, let's put some pure O2 inside the pipe and do it again... Now that was an example of a combustion! :rockout: The flame darting out of the pipe was about 1.5 m long, the boom really really loud and the plug hit the suspended ceiling, right at a grid member and down came 6 plates with like 1 kg of dust. And off the fire alarm went... :busted:

Rector Skinner was not amused. All students had a party.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Last tubeless tire I put on (a Maxxis something on a Stans rim), I mounted it, got out the floor pump, pumped it up, done. Added sealant later.

I also have a compressor if things get tricky...
my XC or Trail casing tires seem to go this route 99% of the time.

DH Casing I use my home made sealant, and I mount up the tire, then run a bead of sealant (I mix my shit thick) around the bead of the tires on each side, ensuring to gloop enough on to get a "seal" on the rim, almost like calking the interface. Then proceed with floor pump. Works on all but the most stubborn wheels/tires, typically involving one of my wifes rims that is dented.

All else fails, I hit them with the 50 gallon Air Compressor and one of those air gun squirty deals.