Quantcast

I made my bashring!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I made my bashring this morning, it took about an hour and a half to CNC. Its customized and cool, I'll get pictures later. I just hope it fits onto my bike. I took measurements for about a week on a raceface guard, so it shouldnt be bad, maybe just a tad off....
Its cool though!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I made one too, it's not the prettiest, especially after a year of use, I didn't invest too much CAD time into it though. I did have trouble getting the ring to fit, I ended up having to do some grinding after I was done machining it to make it fit. I should have allowed more clearance than a line to line fit with the crank I guess.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Yeah, mine will need some grinding too. How do you do that? I think I'll just sand the bolts down, they are made of softer metal. I just barely have to sand them down. Otherwise, the guard looks and works great!

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
i milled a pair of bar ends once... looked like the old onzas... 'cept mine weighed like 30 pounds a piece and would have survived a nuclear winter...

but damn they were beautiful...

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
the most creative thing that i've ever done with my bike was duct tape the side wall of my tire because i put a hole in it and was being cheap

that sounds really cool man. can't wait to see the pictures of it

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
InsaneP2Rider said:
the most creative thing that i've ever done with my bike was duct tape the side wall of my tire because i put a hole in it and was being cheap

that sounds really cool man. can't wait to see the pictures of it
yeah and you polished your own crank arms that is kinda cool too...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
mtnbkr4235 said:
Where are the pics? We've been waiting all day. :mumble: ;)
Ha ha, made you wait! :D

Ok, here they are. The pictures dont get all the details, it looks even better in real life. (now lets test this new pic uploading stuff)

Edit: Try #2 on uploading pics...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Did you mill out the DW too, that must have needed a tiny end mill to get the sharp looking corners.

When I made mine I had problems with the spyder not fitting into the ID. I just used a round file to enlarge the area around the 4 arms on the crank, if you need to make the countersinks bigger it's simple to locate a hole and just counterbore it with an end mill 1/16th larger than the OD of the bolt heads.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
The Kadvang said:
Yeah, looks real nice. Can you make me one? :)
Actually, I'm making my friend one. I could make more, but there is only a week left of school. can make some next school year, I'd sell them for 5 dollars or so.

To make the DW I used the engraver and only went .015" deep.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
The Kadvang said:
Looks nice. I wish I had access to that kind of machinery at school.

Yeah, me too but my school is too poor. This is the south, and school is at the bottom of importance. numba 1 is of course insecst (sp) then the list goes on from there. I think school is number 17 or something...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Curiouscaptian01 said:
Yeah, me too but my school is too poor. This is the south, and school is at the bottom of importance. numba 1 is of course insecst (sp) then the list goes on from there. I think school is number 17 or something...
My school is not poor obviously, we are doing quite well... Here is the school's website, look at it for a second.

Here is a pic of it on my bike... I love it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
haha that's cool man, next thing you know you'll have your own line of frames.
Can you imagine everbody goin crazy for a "Dwaugh" frame. :)